Electrician

Yorky

Fullritis Member
Had the sparks around all morning (3 hours).

Service and clean out the consumer unit.
Upgrade the two lounge ceiling lights to LED.
Replace two light switches.
Replace old garden light fitting with new.

garden light s.jpg

฿700.00.

Why does a consumer unit require servicing? Best left alone in my experience

Do you not just change ordinary bulbs to LED bulbs in the lounge

Why does a consumer unit require servicing? Best left alone in my experience

Because the switches were playing up. Sometimes working as they should and sometimes not. It's 20 years old. I wasn't sure if it should be replaced but the sparks says it's OK.

Do you not just change ordinary bulbs to LED bulbs in the lounge

Yes. But strip out all the old starters and bulb supports.

Because the switches were playing up. Sometimes working as they should and sometimes not. It's 20 years old. I wasn't sure if it should be replaced but the sparks says it's OK.

Yes. But strip out all the old starters and bulb supports.
Duly noted.

As I suspected..fluorescent lights. Requires more than just a simple bulb change.

I understand that you may buy LED circular bulbs (similar to the fluorescents) but I prefer the flat ones.

LED-Ceiling-Light-DIY-Replacement-Magnet-Board-PCB-SMD5730-Double-color-White-Warm-white-110-240V.jpg

Electricians need to be careful opening the electrical gangbox. :)

98174165_698605957541307_8992064507249426432_n.jpg

Where was that?. The box is a sensor array receiver. If that is an Automatic weather station. Its a disgrace and I am not talking about the snake taking up residence.
Campbell scientific would be appalled. It is probably a process control unit measuring low accuracy temperatures up to 25 of.

Had the sparks around all morning (3 hours).

Service and clean out the consumer unit.
Upgrade the two lounge ceiling lights to LED.
Replace two light switches.
Replace old garden light fitting with new.

View attachment 36496

฿700.00.

That was 11 months ago. The original fitting had a 24 W LED bulb which was good for 8,000 hours. I replaced it about 4 months ago with another similar bulb which was good for 8,000 hours. I replaced that one today.

The light is turned on, together with the other external garden lights, every day at around 18:00 and turned off again at 22:00 - 23:00.

Where was that?. The box is a sensor array receiver. If that is an Automatic weather station. Its a disgrace and I am not talking about the snake taking up residence.
Campbell scientific would be appalled. It is probably a process control unit measuring low accuracy temperatures up to 25 of.
FUKKIN SPARKIES !!! ;;haha;; ;;haha;; ;;haha;;

That was 11 months ago. The original fitting had a 24 W LED bulb which was good for 8,000 hours. I replaced it about 4 months ago with another similar bulb which was good for 8,000 hours. I replaced that one today.

The light is turned on, together with the other external garden lights, every day at around 18:00 and turned off again at 22:00 - 23:00.

4months x 30days x 4.5hours = 540 hours.
8,000 hrs rating? Jeezzzzzz.... They're stealing your Archa there!!!

And I haven't climbed a stepladder in years.

I could have replaced the light switches myself as I was about to do when I discovered the breakers were not breaking. Get him to do the lot while he's here.
I can think of a few members who would agree with your sentiments.

That one failed yesterday (around 600 hours in use). Replaced today with a similar Philips bulb.

I'm beginning to think that the saving suggested by LED bulbs is not all that it's cracked up to be.

That one failed yesterday (around 600 hours in use). Replaced today with a similar Philips bulb.

I'm beginning to think that the saving suggested by LED bulbs is not all that it's cracked up to be.
No quite right. They don't mention the heat that knocks them around. It is not the LED that blow but the power supply circuits, normally a capacitor or a diode.
LED's are a DC device that run at low voltage compared to the mains. So they convert 220V to DC low voltage cheaply. That's what blows.

No quite right. They don't mention the heat that knocks them around. It is not the LED that blow but the power supply circuits, normally a capacitor or a diode.
LED's are a DC device that run at low voltage compared to the mains. So they convert 220V to DC low voltage cheaply. That's what blows.

It doesn't really matter which bit's at fault. The labelling on the box says 8,000 hours - which is obviously incorrect (in my case).

It doesn't really matter which bit's at fault. The labelling on the box says 8,000 hours - which is obviously incorrect (in my case).

Some of the LED bulbs do last 8,000 hours once they are placed into an electric socket...roughly 24 hours for 333 days.
The problem of diminished ussge occurs when you actually run a current to the bulb.
They're really great if you never turn them on. :p

I do not know that I want to say this, tempting fate and all that, but the LEDs I have installed in our house have, with one exception, yet to fail. I started installing LEDs some 5 or 6 years ago. The lights in the kitchen, replacements for the fluorescence bulbs that were there before, similar in design to yours, were installed over a year ago in October 2020. It was your post at #9 that gave me the idea. The two LEDs in the living room were complete units with remote controls, complete with dimmers, were installed in the summer of 2020. The only light that has failed is a solar-powered light at the front gate, which did so due to a bad seal and the ingress of water. I have LEDs ceiling lights in the main living room (qty 2), the kitchen (qty 2), and both bathrooms. I also have LEDs in the main fan assy (qty 5) in both bedrooms, plus several other light fittings around the house. :)

Last edited:
Back