Expiration of Passport

Yorky

Fullritis Member
A friend (who is not always reliable at passing on information) went to KCI yesterday to renew his visa extension. His passport expires in February 2016 so obviously he was told that the extension will only be up to the expiry date of the passport. However, he was also told that in February 2016, he would be required to present all the paperwork required as though he was applying for a new extension and also pay a further Bht 1,900.00. He was not told at what date that extension would expire.

I've been here before in 2010. My initial visa from 2001, and a record of extensions since then were transposed to my new passport (by miss big tits) and the latest extension was extended until the original expiry date at no charge (5 weeks later).

The question is, are KCI telling him a load of bollocks?

A friend (who is not always reliable at passing on information) went to KCI yesterday to renew his visa extension. His passport expires in February 2016 so obviously he was told that the extension will only be up to the expiry date of the passport. However, he was also told that in February 2016, he would be required to present all the paperwork required as though he was applying for a new extension and also pay a further Bht 1,900.00. He was not told at what date that extension would expire.

I've been here before in 2010. My initial visa from 2001, and a record of extensions since then were transposed to my new passport (by miss big tits) and the latest extension was extended until the original expiry date at no charge (5 weeks later).

This has been a regulation nation wide for about 5 years. He would be advised to get a new passport now then apply for his extension.

This has been a regulation nation wide for about 5 years. He would be advised to get a new passport now then apply for his extension.

Yes, quite right, gotlost. I did exactly that - applied a few months early for my new passport, transferred the existing visa extension at no cost from memory and then applied for the new visa extension.

Yes, quite right, gotlost. I did exactly that - applied a few months early for my new passport, transferred the existing visa extension at no cost from memory and then applied for the new visa extension.

Apparently, and I'm sure Prakonchai Nick could testify this, renewing a British passport now is such a farce that no-one can say how long it will take. I understand though that you are permitted to apply and obtain a new British passport up to nine months prior to the old one expiring. However, that is of no use to anyone who's visa extension expires 10 months prior to the expiration of the passport (mine was virtually 11 months in 2010).

Unfortunately that is now not feasible given the dates. When he applies for his new extension in February, when will that extension expire?

If he has to do the whole thing and pay again, one would assume (maybe incorrectly) that he would get a full year from that time. Ask them.

If he has to do the whole thing and pay again, one would assume (maybe incorrectly) that he would get a full year from that time. Ask them.

Ahh, the old "ask them". Ask them today and you will get a different answer if you ask them tomorrow, even from the same IO! I suppose he will just have to await the application in February.

Oh, one other point, they would not issue a multi re-entry permit to him because they are valid for 12 months. Having never had a multi, I don't know if the validity is fixed or is it adjustable by the IO?

My multis have always expired on the same date as the current visa extension, even when purchased at a later date.

I understand though that you are permitted to apply and obtain a new British passport up to nine months prior to the old one expiring.

Not quite, Yorky. As I understand it you can renew your passport whenever you want or need to. Any time left on your old passport is added on to the term of the new passport but only up to a maximum of 9 months.

I am looking in to all this currently in preparation for a renewal early 2016 to fit in with a visit to Portugal with my wife to update her resident card.

Also you are starting the process all over so your funds have be proven or seasoned if needed. Simple stay up on the regulation and you won't get caught out.

He should have renewed his passport first.

Passports are coming back within 3 weeks at the moment but, in any event, he should have renewed in June or July to give plenty of time. The trigger point should perhaps have been his last 90 day report.

Not quite, Yorky. As I understand it you can renew your passport whenever you want or need to. Any time left on your old passport is added on to the term of the new passport but only up to a maximum of 9 months.

I am looking in to all this currently in preparation for a renewal early 2016 to fit in with a visit to Portugal with my wife to update her resident card.

Sorry, I thought I said that. However, I have been drinking.

OK, my scenario (which I know is fact):

My passport expired on June 6th 2010.

My visa extension expired on June 27th 2009.

I applied for my extension renewal on 11th June 2009 and was given an extension with an expiry date of 6th June 2010.

I was not permitted to renew my British passport until earliest September 2009 which I did (albeit with a lot of hassles and delays from the know nowts at the British Embassy).

Now, I had a 90 day reporting date of I believe mid May 2010 or thereabouts but I couldn't report at Chong Chom because my extension ran out very shortly after that.

I therefore had to report to Chok Chai to have my details transferred to my new passport (I did on 14th May) which Miss Big Tits did at no charge but even though I had all the required documentation, she could not then process my new extension because it was more than than 30 days prior to the expiry date (27th June) and that would be more than her job was worth.

I would be grateful if anyone could advise me what I could/should have done differently (for next time - if there is one!).

Also you are starting the process all over so your funds have be proven or seasoned if needed. Simple stay up on the regulation and you won't get caught out.

The regulations appear to change daily at the present time and the IO's don't appear to be able to keep up with it. Their website is totally inadequate and out of date so where should we look to get the latest updates?

The regulations appear to change daily at the present time and the IO's don't appear to be able to keep up with it. Their website is totally inadequate and out of date so where should we look to get the latest updates?

I'll disagree on this they are not changing daily. Check other forums. Your laying something out there that has been in affect for a long time through out Thailand. You may not like them but Thai Visa has the best up to date information on these requirements. It is very common when a person gets caught out the first thing out of their mouth is "the rules changed". BULL SHIT.T.I.C.Hug1

BTW the Thai immigration website is a piece of shit.//flagThumbUp6

Last edited:
Sorry, I thought I said that. However, I have been drinking.

OK, my scenario (which I know is fact):

My passport expired on June 6th 2010.

My visa extension expired on June 27th 2009.

I applied for my extension renewal on 11th June 2009 and was given an extension with an expiry date of 6th June 2010.

I was not permitted to renew my British passport until earliest September 2009 which I did (albeit with a lot of hassles and delays from the know nowts at the British Embassy).

Now, I had a 90 day reporting date of I believe mid May 2010 or thereabouts but I couldn't report at Chong Chom because my extension ran out very shortly after that.

I therefore had to report to Chok Chai to have my details transferred to my new passport (I did on 14th May) which Miss Big Tits did at no charge but even though I had all the required documentation, she could not then process my new extension because it was more than than 30 days prior to the expiry date (27th June) and that would be more than her job was worth.

I would be grateful if anyone could advise me what I could/should have done differently (for next time - if there is one!).

Yorky, nothing new here.

As JohnB said:-

About applying for a British passport

• British nationals should avoid applying for their passport at the last minute. An application to renew a passport can be made at any time. Any remaining validity up to nine months will be transferred from the old passport to the new one.

Yorky's friend rang me a couple of hours ago, to tell his story.

He had requested us to obtain a new passport for him a few weeks ago, but decided that he wanted to sort out his extension first, as he said the due date was imminent.

It now transpires that KC want to do a home visit, with photos etc -the works, and he has to report back in mid October.

Whilst as Co-Co has said, passports are currently taking some 3 weeks to be issued, that is from the date the application is received in Liverpool. First it is necessary to make an appointment with VFS, then get the application to BANGKOK, then await notification of the return to VFS of the new passport, arrange collection and post to Surin. Being unable to assist this coming week due to holidays, we would not be able to get the application to Bangkok w/c 14th September and guarantee its return in time for his visit to KC. Everyone would be on tenterhooks!

A new passport can be requested at any time -it is not necessary to wait till near expiration date.

You may not like them but Thai Visa has the best up to date information on these requirements.

I have been a member of Thaivisa since the year dot (member number 111). I was also a moderator for a while until I was sacked by George for doing bugger all.

I haven't been a regular visitor for a while but things must have changed. 50% of what was reported (by the members) on there when I was a regular was bullshit. The problem was determining which was the chaff.......

• British nationals should avoid applying for their passport at the last minute. An application to renew a passport can be made at any time. Any remaining validity up to nine months will be transferred from the old passport to the new one.

"Up to nine months!"

Not "up to eleven months!"

Could I have applied for a new British passport prior to applying for my extension which expired on 27th June 2009? My passport was due to expire on 6th June 2010.

I have been a member of Thaivisa since the year dot (member number 111). I was also a moderator for a while until I was sacked by George for doing bugger all.

I haven't been a regular visitor for a while but things must have changed. 50% of what was reported (by the members) on there when I was a regular was bullshit. The problem was determining which was the chaff.......

Follow UbonJoe on the ThaiVisa,residency and work permit sub forum. He is about 98% accurate and does take question by pm. The rest of the mods on there are still looking for their assholes.

Back