Fair daily pay?

GuitarPlayerGuy

Could anyone advise me on what would be fair daily pay for semi-skilled work building a basic hut? These are in-laws so I want to be fair but to all parties. Thanks in advance.

300 to 500 per day. If you use skilled who went to tech school or had approved OJT he gets 2000 baht per day.

All who work for us have their OWN TOOLS up to air compressor & tools and wielding equipment
But, are they just family doing the job? Are they experienced and work on other building crews? Or just the family lugs and lay-abouts. And, do they have tools of their own? I say never pay/give/tip in lao khao after a hard days work. 2 beers of their choice per employee. (It is hot work.) Plus some food, a pot of rice and some pork larb. You, GL, seem to be hiring proper workers with their own tools and experience doing the job, not just family.

Last edited:
But, are they just family doing the job? Are they experienced and work on other building crews? Or just the family lugs and lay-abouts. And, do they have tools of their own? I say never pay/give/tip in lao khao after a hard days work. 2 beers of their choice per employee. (It is hot work.) Plus some food, a pot of rice and some pork larb. You, GL, seem to be hiring proper workers with their own tools and experience doing the job, not just family.
NO they are not. Don't insult.

For serious work one usually gets what they pay for. (Just from my experience.)

I've seen some bad construction and personally I would rather not pay lower wages for that privilege.

NO they are not. Don't insult.
Insult who? Lugs and lay-abouts? From my experience most Isan families have one or two. Lazy hard drinking brothers, fathers, uncles, cousins, husbands, extended family members, etc. If none around you and your wife and family you are lucky and fortunate. I've seen them in the best of families here. No insult intended for your wife's family or you. An observation is all from many years of experience here.

I wrote a story a long time ago about these guys. Called it 'Mama's Boys'. They seem to think they are owed money and toys (motocykes mainly) from Mama and sisters, etc. Lay-abouts drinking, fighting, causing loss of family face and havoc. Lazy cunts who think the family women should support their drinking, drug use, and gambling habits that do not want to do a lick of work or give any help to their families. We have them in my wife's family village. Always wanting to bum cigs, beers and money from me when I am there. The family drives them away whenever they try to approach me. Drunks and druggies. Even our family dogs seem to sense these are assholes not wanted and will growl and send them on their way.

Last edited:
They are NOT. YOU ARE INSULTING.
Did you read what I just wrote above? Not talking about your family or relatives. Pull your head out man. Reading comprehension brother.

"If none around you and your wife and family you are lucky and fortunate. I've seen them in the best of families here. No insult intended for your wife's family or you."

Back