Farang connection

With all the visiting Farangs wondering around Surin this week it was nice to see the FC showing some signs of life again. I think we all realize that it's never going to be the same. Despite our personal thoughts in regards to Martin, he was the face of the FC and those visiting Surin for the first time always had someone they could get answers from and help when needed. I still pop in there once awhile to have some breakfast with my wife and for the most part the place is empty. As I go by in the afternoon on the way to the Sportsman Pub or even Starbeam I look in and only see the same motley crew sitting at the same tables pissing and going on about all that is wrong with Surin/Thailand, their lives. A miserable lot IMO, As to whether the Dragon Lady would sell the place, everything has it's price. Give her what she wants and she is out the door in a New York second. The only problem is that no one is that stupid, the FC is not the thriving place it once was.

With all the visiting Farangs wondering around Surin this week it was nice to see the FC showing some signs of life again. I think we all realize that it's never going to be the same. Despite our personal thoughts in regards to Martin, he was the face of the FC and those visiting Surin for the first time always had someone they could get answers from and help when needed. I still pop in there once awhile to have some breakfast with my wife and for the most part the place is empty. As I go by in the afternoon on the way to the Sportsman Pub or even Starbeam I look in and only see the same motley crew sitting at the same tables pissing and going on about all that is wrong with Surin/Thailand, their lives. A miserable lot IMO, As to whether the Dragon Lady would sell the place, everything has it's price. Give her what she wants and she is out the door in a New York second. The only problem is that no one is that stupid, the FC is not the thriving place it once was.
This is a sad reflection to what FC has become since Marty's passing. Certainly, it's not what it once was - and more than likely will never regain it's luster ever again. She might talk nice, but I'm of the feeling that Sunni wouldn't blink an eye to selling the place, if the price was right....as she is probably finding it an albatross and she really cared to be "hands on" anyway. Someone with a little imagination and creativity couple easily give the old FC the spark it needs...

I look in and only see the same motley crew sitting at the same tables pissing and going on about all that is wrong with Surin/Thailand, their lives. A miserable lot IMO.
A pathetically sad picture. Conditioning dies hard.

A pathetically sad picture. Conditioning dies hard.

I was in there a few days ago and there was a great bunch of guys in there having a beer or two, guys who I have known for years .There also was 3 or 4 tables full of what looked like part timers ,all in all she said things could be a bit busier but then who doesn’t say that. She told me the place is not for sale. Painting a bad picture of the place when things are really going ok.

Isn't it a sign of rudeness to post any message in capitol letter?? Certainly if not rudeness then anger and shouting. You yourself even indicated that the Dragon Lady said things could be better and this is the Elephant Festival. By that admission it's obvious to anyone with a sintilla of brains that the FC is not doing business as it should. While I applaud your constant plugging of the FC despite the signs of decline maybe taking a step back and looking at things from a purely business standpoint would help clear the fog that is effecting your brain. Maybe not a for sale sing hanging on the door but Sunee didn't get to where she is today by being a stupid Thai lady, she would sell that place if some clueless Farang/Farangs offered her 4 million baht. Since nobody is that crazy the FC remains in her hands and the business continues to decline, it's that simple, case closed.

Being a proud member of that "motley crew" I take no offense to your rose glasses view of the world of Surin. Spend 20 years coming to Surin and you too would see the true light and vision, as we do in the "MOTLEY CREW".:cool::cool::cool:

Isn't it a sign of rudeness to post any message in capitol letter??

Paddy my friend, you will see if you look closer that there are only capital letters where capital letters are meant to be sir.
We call it font script my Irish friend it means a certain style of writing this does not apply anything to do with anger, rudeness or shouting.
So Paddy I hope you have a great day ,and I hope this small lesson in
the difference between font script style writing and capital letters might be of some use to you in latter life.

Last edited:
Alan, I must agree with you in that I visit FC at least once a week, usually. They are still doing a pretty good business.
Also, in contradiction to another view expressed on the customers or "Motley Crew" as the member described; I find this semi-crotchety group of guys pretty interesting. Yes they discuss and complain about politics, Thailand, England and other countries. But they actually do discuss a wide variety of items. Some of these I ignore and others I find enlightening and interesting.
In any case, if one keeps an open mind, much good can be gleaned from that "Motley Crew"
Also, Sunnee , stated to me, too, that the FC definitely is not for sale nor is she going to consider doing so, as this is a big part of her life.

Alan, I must agree with you in that I visit FC at least once a week, usually. They are still doing a pretty good business.
Also, in contradiction to another view expressed on the customers or "Motley Crew" as the member described; I find this semi-crotchety group of guys pretty interesting. Yes they discuss and complain about politics, Thailand, England and other countries. But they actually do discuss a wide variety of items. Some of these I ignore and others I find enlightening and interesting.
In any case, if one keeps an open mind, much good can be gleaned from that "Motley Crew"
Also, Sunnee , stated to me, too, that the FC definitely is not for sale nor is she going to consider doing so, as this is a big part of her life.

i find the phrase Motley Crew a bit harsh, old and wise these guys are in my book.

fair play to them i see a great bunch of lads still enjoying themselves..

In general we all find our own level and mix with like-minded people.

I have never believed that anyone has the right to be disparaging to others/other groups that are above, or below, their own level.

It's not so much their ages, although from the way they look in the afternoon it's easy to make them out as being much much older that they really are. As as generalizion, most of them appear to wear the same outfit every day, t-shirt that must be three years old, baggy and saggy shorts, flip flops and of course a three day growth of beard. I don't get close enough to them to smell if they take a daily shower. When you combine that with their constant bitching and seeing them get "pissed" it's a real downer.

i find the phrase Motley Crew a bit harsh, old and wise these guys are in my book.

fair play to them i see a great bunch of lads still enjoying themselves..

motley crew played some good music though . . . . .

Back