Grinding Service

Bandersnatch

Surin Solar Legend
I bought a chipper from Bob at http://www.ruangsangthai.com/ in Burriram.

chipper2.jpg

I know Ruangsangthai does servicing but it is a big bugger to get in my truck. I thought I would sharpen the blades myself. Big mistake!

The tires had rotted in less than a year, so I replaced them with solid rubber ones at the same time. To access the cutting blades I basically had to take chipper apart, including take off the air filter to access the last hidden screw.

iquFQbH.jpg

Blades are off and as I don't have a vice I want somebody else to sharpen them.

4c4W2Ul.jpg

Any suggestion where? Have asked the family, they have no idea.

Your local knife sharpener? Are these guys still around the villages? Used to be on a motocyke with an attached sharpening wheel and they'd go around the villages and sharpen the housewives knives for a minimal fee.

I bought a chipper from Bob at http://www.ruangsangthai.com/ in Burriram.

chipper2.jpg

I know Ruangsangthai does servicing but it is a big bugger to get in my truck. I thought I would sharpen the blades myself. Big mistake!

The tires had rotted in less than a year, so I replaced them with solid rubber ones at the same time. To access the cutting blades I basically had to take chipper apart, including take off the air filter to access the last hidden screw.

iquFQbH.jpg

Blades are off and as I don't have a vice I want somebody else to sharpen them.

4c4W2Ul.jpg

Any suggestion where? Have asked the family, they have no idea.

Your local knife sharpener? Are these guys still around the villages? Used to be on a motocyke with an attached sharpening wheel and they'd go around the villages and sharpen the housewives knives for a minimal fee.

Martin (FC) had a regular motorcycle guy to sharpen his knives. I took a couple of mine down one time and asked him to get them sharpened next time he was around. Martin looked at them and stated "they are sharper than mine when the guy has finished sharpening'. So I took them home again.

I have a vice and I also have one of these:

71DOdHh%2BPEL._AC_SY355_.jpg

D.I.Y. - piece of pisssss.

In fact, after looking at your blades, I would not use a vice. I would screw/clamp them to the workbench to steady them with the blades overhanging the edge. Bring them around and we will do them together. :D:D:D

P.S. I was a toolmaker in a previous existence.

Last edited:
Back