Highway Police have breathalisers..........BE WARNED

Breathalisers

While in Thailand for christmas/ new year, and traveling from Sangkha to Ban sala and Surin on a regular basis, I was licence checked and submitted to a breath test 8 times, I kid you not.
I told this to a local police officer here and he was amazed.

While riding down to Pattaya last Sunday, we were stopped by Army troops about 1/2 way between Surin and Pattaya.

They asked me for my Passport (1st time this has happened to me in the 21 years have been in Thailand.)

They did not ask the driver or my wife for any ID. Just me and valid passport--strange.

While riding down to Pattaya last Sunday, we were stopped by Army troops about 1/2 way between Surin and Pattaya.

They asked me for my Passport (1st time this has happened to me in the 21 years have been in Thailand.)

They did not ask the driver or my wife for any ID. Just me and valid passport--strange.

You do look somewhat suspicious.:cool:

Bear, do you always carry your passport?. I keep a photocopy in the car and only take the original if I need it for a hotel booking.
But as to whether a photocopy would be acceptable if stopped by the Police has never been tested by me.

Bear, do you always carry your passport?. I keep a photocopy in the car and only take the original if I need it for a hotel booking.
But as to whether a photocopy would be acceptable if stopped by the Police has never been tested by me.

I cant answer for Bear but for myself, YES every where I go. I never leave home with out it and I have been asked by authorizes.

If you get stopped by the Korat police with the 2 speed cameras who operate near Chok Chai & also along the 304 they nearly ALWAYS ask for my passport.

A new tactic being used on the 24 anywhere between Nong Man & Non Bunmak........get caught in the outside lane for longer than 300m & it'll cost you 400baht.......The road is dead straight for a few km's & people are getting picked off so easily.......everything is being pulled up ,,,,incl Buses & Minibuses

A new tactic being used on the 24 anywhere between Nong Man & Non Bunmak........get caught in the outside lane for longer than 300m & it'll cost you 400baht.......The road is dead straight for a few km's & people are getting picked off so easily.......everything is being pulled up ,,,,incl Buses & Minibuses

What a shame it will have no lasting educational value - still it will swell the coffers.

Quite right too. These idiots (well over 50% of motorists- including more than a few farangs) force others to overtake on the inside, because they refuse to budge. They don't even realise there is an inside lane-except when they need to overtake, and then its back to the outside lane again. I invariably flash them!

Make it 4000baht and that would improve matters!

I remember overtaking Nick on the inside once.

I didn't bother flashing him because he was too busy flashing Somchai in front of him. :smile:

I can cope with drivers staying in the right hand lane as long as they don't arse about. There is little worse than coming up behind a car in the left lane doing 60 kpm and the driver in the right lane doing 62 kpm.

It is more about awareness of other road.

I don't see too much of that awareness on Thailand's roads.

Most of us can cope with drivers in the outside lane, but they shouldn't be there and it would be better and safer if they weren't Happy to see them fined -but rather more heavily than Nookie is reporting.

I remember overtaking Nick on the inside once.

I didn't bother flashing him because he was too busy flashing Somchai in front of him. :smile:

I can cope with drivers staying in the right hand lane as long as they don't arse about. There is little worse than coming up behind a car in the left lane doing 60 kpm and the driver in the right lane doing 62 kpm.

It is more about awareness of other road.

I don't see too much of that awareness on Thailand's roads.
CoCo you would have to be moving to catch up with someone doing 60/62kpm, normally speeds are quoted by the hour not the minute

If you get stopped by the Korat police with the 2 speed cameras who operate near Chok Chai & also along the 304 they nearly ALWAYS ask for my passport.

If I leave the Surin area I usually have my passport, or a copy of it and my visa, with me. My Thai license has my passport number on it and I'll usually just have to show that. I do hate having to carry my passport around everywhere though. It's just a pain in the ass replacing it if it gets lost or stolen.

I drove to Bangkok and back last week and never saw a cop on the highway or a roadblock the whole trip. Probably the first time in years I haven't been stopped on the 24 for 'speeding'. :)

Mike

Back