Huge "Khmer-Buddhist" holiday 24 Sept

Discussion in 'Thailands events and festivals' started by Coffee, Sep 23, 2018.

1. gotlost

gotlost Surin Legend

Did you mention lao lao and beer..:yum::yum::yum::yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:;;bad simle;;

2. mario299

mario299 Surin Legend

Today is "Feed The Ghosts" day for us, and all the food, beer and whiskey has been in place now for a couple of hours yet nothing appears to have been eaten yet...!!
    We should have some of the other village folk stopping by to help encourage the ghost relatives to eat after 4 pm today, then they will all head to the Temple at about 6pm. I will then be in charge of the uneaten food, beer and whiskey...a tough job but one I have handled well in the past.

IMG_0654.JPG

Wombat, nomad97, Coffee and 2 others like this.
  3. gotlost

gotlost Surin Legend

Same at our home. This is the only day the wife family observes on this. They will all join for a big feed this evening and invite all their relatives and my relatives to join.

Coffee likes this.
  4. Prakhonchai Nick

Prakhonchai Nick Surin Legend

I am sure Mario that when everyone returns from the Temple, you will be happy to advise that the ghosts did indeed partake of some liquid refreshment -hence some empty bottle. They clearly prefer to drink with few people around.:)

Nothing happening like this in my village.

mario299 likes this.
  5. Yorky

Yorky Surin Legend

Nor mine.

6. gotlost

gotlost Surin Legend

No temple or orange mafia at our do. And Nick thats why Surin Provence and Oddar Meanchey Cambodia allow a Thai ID and a Cambodian ID with an address from that province to visit for 72 hours. The have very deep Khmer roots and your lot doesn't

Rice likes this.
  7. Prakhonchai Nick

Come 6 o'clock I will take my Chang bottle into the garden -with 2 glasses, and see if anyone wants to partake of a beer with me.

mario299, nomad97 and gotlost like this.
  8. Prakhonchai Nick

First I have heard about the 72 hour passes.

My village just outside Prakhonchai is deeply rooted in Khmer. My wifes grandparents were Khmer, as were the ancestors of many of my immediate neighbours. From our early tours to Cambodia,. it was clear that with all the fighting. the Khmer Rouge and Pol Pot, that many people-especially the women - wanted to disassociate themselves from Cambodia and many were reluctant to visit with their husbands/partners.

nomad97 likes this.
  9. gotlost

gotlost Surin Legend

You have heard from me before and Buriram is NOT enrolled in this. :p:pThe governor away back were allowed by their respect national government to do this and its only for the two provinces I mentioned.:D

10. Coffee

Coffee Surin Legend

Hey - where is the pig's head and ears !

11. nomad97

nomad97 Ordinary member

On his frigging shoulders! Boom! Boom!

mario299 likes this.
  12. Coffee

Coffee Surin Legend

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: It'll be there dinner. :p

13. gotlost

gotlost Surin Legend

This is my wife gathering of Feed the Ghost Day. Notice NO mafia and yes my family was mentioned.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nomad97, Coffee, Wombat and 1 other person like this.
  14. ColinW

ColinW Surin Legend

[QUOTE="

Nothing happening like this in my village.[/QUOTE]

Happens in our village, I have just got back from the ceremony after joining the deceased relatives in a beer.

Wombat likes this.
  15. mario299

mario299 Surin Legend

Here ya go....
    IMG_1199.JPG

16. mario299

mario299 Surin Legend

or....from a galaxy far, far away
    IMG_2598.JPG

nomad97, Coffee, Wombat and 1 other person like this.
  17. Coffee

Coffee Surin Legend

Your wedding Mario ?

18. mario299

mario299 Surin Legend

yes, one of them...

19. Coffee

Coffee Surin Legend

Very nice. Is this the one that is currently working out well for you in Surin ?

20. Yorky

Yorky Surin Legend

Actually my wife did get involved in something at our local Wat.

I didn't.

New | Recent