'Human Zoo' in Thailand Puts Long-Necked Burmese Women on Display

A

alan crisp

'Human Zoo' in Thailand Puts Long-Necked Burmese Women on Display
"It's incredible," says a Canadian tourist, snapping away with his camera, as the women pose - heads bobbing stiffly far above their shoulders - and try to sell him a few souvenirs from the doorsteps of their bamboo huts.

It is hard not to stare. At the end of a dirt track, deep in the Thai jungle, a group of 'long-necked' Kayan women sit in the shade, fingering the coils of brass which snake tightly around their unnaturally long, giraffe-like necks.

For years the prospect of visiting one of three "long-necked" Kayan villages in this remote corner of north-western Thailand, close to the Burmese border, has been a major lure for foreign tourists.

In return, the visitors have helped to provide a very modest income for the Kayan women and their families, who are all refugees from Burma.

Boycott?
But in a dramatic intervention, the United Nations is now talking of the need for a tourism boycott, amid allegations that the Kayan are being trapped in a "human zoo".

The United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR) says that for the past two years, the Thai authorities have refused to allow a group of 20 Kayan to leave the country, despite firm offers to resettle them in Finland and New Zealand.

The suspicion is that the women are being kept in Thailand because of the central role they play in the local tourism industry.

"We don't understand why these 20 are not allowed to start new lives," said the UNHCR's regional spokeswoman, Kitty McKinsey.

"The Thai authorities are treating them in a special way," she argued, pointing out that some 20,000 other Burmese refugees had recently been allowed to move to third countries.

"It's absolutely a human zoo," she said. "One solution is for tourists to stop going."

At the centre of this increasingly heated dispute is a quietly determined 23-year-old woman called Zember, who has proudly worn her tribe's traditional neck rings since she was five.

Zember and her family fled their home in the hills of eastern Burma 18 years ago. Her mother, Mu Pao, remembers government troops raiding their village and taking the men away by force to work as porters.

Like tens of thousands of people, the Kayan headed for the Thai border. But instead of being kept with the other refugees, the "long-necked" families were put in a separate compound a few yards from the official camp.

Since then, the ethnic conflicts inside Burma have raged on, and the Kayan community in Thailand has swelled to about 500.
"At least we're safe here and we can earn some money," said Mu Pao. Each tourist pays a 250 baht (US$8; £4) entrance fee.
Better deal
Other older women in the village agreed that, with little hope of ever returning to Burma, earning 1500 baht a month to be stared at by tourists was an acceptable deal.

But in 2005, a far better deal emerged. The UNHCR began offering permanent resettlement abroad to the many thousands of refugees still living in the area.

Many of the Kayan applied, and Zember and her family were quickly told they'd been accepted.

"I was so happy," said Zember. "They tell me a house is already waiting for us in New Zealand."

For the past two years, however, the Thai authorities have refused to sign the paperwork needed for Zember and 19 others to leave the country.

"Actually they aren't refugees," said Wachira Chotirosseranee, the deputy district officer and refugee camp commander, who insisted this was a purely bureaucratic matter with no connection to the local tourism industry.

"According to the regulations, you have to live inside the refugee camp. They don't meet the criteria."

The Thai authorities argue that the Kayan are economic migrants who earn a good living from the tourist trade and have chosen to settle outside the refugee camps.

"They absolutely are refugees," said the UNHCR's Kitty McKinsey. "It comes as a great surprise that the Thai authorities are criticising them for living outside the camps, when it was the Thai authorities who wanted them to live (outside)."

In frustration, and as an act of protest, Zember has now taken off her neck rings. "It felt uncomfortable at first," she said, rubbing her throat.

Over the years, the rings push the women's shoulders and ribs down, making their necks appear stretched.

"Because of my rings I have suffered many problems," she said. "I wear them not for tourists. I wear them for tradition... Now I feel like a prisoner."

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Burmese women in Thai 'human zoo'

There's a village near Mae Hong Son where I have seen 'the human zoo'. Most of the B.250 fee goes to Thai 'entrepreneurs'. It's horrible to see, in a way... but until New Zealand offered to accept them, what were the alternatives? Life in a guerrilla-torn jungle wouldn't be very appealing, and they cannot work, except for doing some sewing. At least this way they get enough to eat, and have a safe place to stay (just like in a zoo, of course).

The UN, always look out for the best interests of people, unless you are a democracty surrounded by 17 countries that have been trying to wipe you out for 60 years.

Hey, if other countries are willing to take care of these girls and so worth, fine....Otherwise, the UN should shut their fcukng mouths and go crawl back into their slimy holes and beg for money from dictators.

NVKD

The UN, always look out for the best interests of people, unless you are a democracty surrounded by 17 countries that have been trying to wipe you out for 60 years.

Hey, if other countries are willing to take care of these girls and so worth, fine....Otherwise, the UN should shut their f**kng mouths and go crawl back into their slimy holes and beg for money from dictators.

NVKD

Agree about the UN.A corrupt bunch of c**ts,Oil-for-Food Programme spring to mind.
The programme was introduced by United States President Bill Clinton's administration in 1995, as a response to arguments that ordinary Iraqi citizens were inordinately affected by the international economic sanctions aimed at the demilitarisation of Saddam Hussein's Iraq, imposed in the wake of the first Gulf War. The sanctions were discontinued on November 21, 2003 after the U.S. invasion of Iraq, and the humanitarian functions turned over to the Coalition Provisional Authority.
As the programme ended, there were revelations of corruption involving the funds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil-for-Food_Programme

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing Al Sharpton does not monitor this board. He would make trouble for us all.

I agree with Isanbirder, they do not have many alternatives. Every Three months they can leave this zoo and go back to their families. Here some pictures from a visit a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• HPIM0955.jpg
    HPIM0955.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 10
  • HPIM0958.jpg
    HPIM0958.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 10
  • HPIM0971.jpg
    HPIM0971.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 9
  • HPIM0966.jpg
    HPIM0966.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 9
  • HPIM0959.jpg
    HPIM0959.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 10
I agree with Isanbirder, they do not have many alternatives. Every Three months they can leave this zoo and go back to their families. Here some pictures from a visit a few weeks ago.

Me too :Agree: It is a disgrace that there are corrupt officials making money out of theses refugees,the thing is your damned if you go ,damned if you don't. :G
I say go but try and give direct to Kayan villagers .:M

Me too :Agree: It is a disgrace that there are corrupt officials making money out of theses refugees,the thing is your damned if you go ,damned if you don't. :G
I say go but try and give direct to Kayan villagers .:M

You can give to the villagers if you like, but the B.250 is an 'entrance fee'. For myself, I felt I ought to have seen them once; never again!

By staying away will you not help this community. They need the tourists for their income. The entrance fee go to the Thai authorities and they will never help them. So it remains a vicious circle. Will they be happier in New Zealand? I doubt it.

Back