If you had an extra THB 6,000,000...

Coffee

You chose a custom title
If you had an additional THB 6,000,000 in Thailand or the equivalent in your native country that you wouldn't require utilizing for the next ten years - where (or on what assets, equities, collectibles, land, etc) would you think about investing that money for potential appreciation to have available in 10-years time ?

A very interesting question. Having the money available in 10 years time is probably what needs major consideration.

Equities generally grow over time, but go up and down, and may be down or lower in 10 years time. Property (land, condo, rental property etc) is all likely to appreciate, but selling is not always easy. Gold used to be considered a good investment, easily bought and sold, but over recent years has hardly moved in price. Adam (where is he when you need him?) would probably put forward a case for Bitcoins and the like, but most of us know very little about that

As a coincidence,my 2nd daughter (I have 3) only yesterday signed a contract on an up-market condo in Sri Racha, opposite the University, and in the area being promoted by the Thai government as the Eastern Seaboard economic corridor.. The condo will be rented out (rental income will pay the mortgage), and the value should go up. But as said above, when it comes time to sell, how easy will it be? She is looking more long term than 10 years.

where would you think about investing that money for potential appreciation to have available in 10-years time ?

I think equities are coming to the end of a record breaking 10 year bull market with nowhere to go but down. Stock markets are being kept afloat by cheap money being used by companies to buy back their own shares. Executive bonuses are often linked to share prices, so it is in their interests to buy their own shares and so pushing the share prices up. Much trading is now done by computers to shave fractions of seconds off the deal, but computers can sell just as quick as they can buy and when they start to dump, the stampede will be like nothing you have ever seen.

I have decided to move away from capital appreciation towards income as a criteria to determine where to put my money. I had property in Hong Kong, with great capital appreciation that you could track on the HSBC valuation tool. However the income wasn't great compared to the costs I incurred in renting out and as I was no longer a resident, I paid tax on all the income. I now buy cheap properties in the UK, with little chance of much capital appreciation but a £50,000 investment and a little bit of tarting up, produces a £500 gross rental income. I know some people still swear by the "4% rule" in retirement, but I would rather leave my capital intact and try to live off the income.

I paid off my brother's mortgage, so now he pays me the mortgage rate instead of to the bank.

Last edited:
Back