In the dog house (again)

nomad97

Resident Geek
With the impending arrival of the new Labrador puppy it seemed appropriate to build a proper dog house with full protection from the weather. This needed to be big enough for 2 full grown Labradors and, to be on the safe side, big enough for me too.

20180324_091835.jpg

Got off to a good start yesterday and this morning with tiling out the area and completing the brick walls. Sat down on my trusted stool to do some pointing when all of a sudden I found myself sprawled all over the floor. As I sat down my trusted stool had totally disintegrated without warning. I was well and truly in the dog house.

20180324_100852.jpg

The air was blue with various English expletives and a few foreign ones as well. My left knee and left elbow took the brunt of the collapse and I am now hobbling around nursing my injuries. Work continues!

20180324_105622.jpg

I guess I was very lucky that I did not have to pay a visit to see the proctologist. Had one of those white 'spears' disappeared up my rear end I would have been in big trouble. ;;shocked;;;;shocked;;;;shocked;;

Had that stool's shards penetrated the proctologist's haven, subsequent stools might have been extremely painful. (Just a thought in passing!)

The stool was more than 5 years old and cost the princely sum of 129 baht from Makro, if my memory serves me well. Prior to today it had withstood my weight without any problem.

Nothwithstanding the severe injury to myself this morning, I finished most of the major construction today. There remains a few finishing touches to make the dog house a 'right proper job'. I need to add a waterproof acrylic roof with trim, a little piece of guttering and some wall tiles around the bottom of the walls. Finally, I would like to add some folding doors to seal off the enclosure in the fullness of time. And here is the progress to day:

20180324_163739.jpg

20180324_165319.jpg

20180324_165339.jpg

When I bought my fridge/freezer 18 years ago the delivery guys told my workers what it cost. The first comment was "my house cost less than that!"

When I bought my fridge/freezer 18 years ago the delivery guys told my workers what it cost. The first comment was "my house cost less than that!"
Most of the dog house was built using recyled materials. I bought one pack of floor tiles, one bag of Crocodile tile cement and 15 bricks - approx cost 500 baht. The tile grout was a 2 year left over from the patio tiling, still useable, and everything else was recycled from the old dog house or found lying around the outside of the house. The main roof support beams are fashioned from a piece of Eucalyptus wood brought from the village about 8 years ago. It started life as a shelf for the TV and hi-fi unit. I think this is the 5th time I have recyled this piece of wood although this will be the last. I could recycle the plastic tarpaulin to water proof the roof although I will splash the cash (about 500 baht) for a coloured acrylic sheet (240 cm x 120 cm). The tarpaulin sheet will be cleaned and put into storage to cover luggage in the back of the pickup when we go on holiday. Recyled back to its original function. Few things go to waste in this household.

Back