Installing a Lightning Conductor

Crazy important (earthing) for water heaters too

My main house copper earth rod is 2 metres long and driven into the ground under the concrete of my car port (I know because I saw them do it). The only method I have of checking the effectiveness is by using the ELBs on the shower water heaters.

Is there another way?

I have separate earth rods adjacent to and connected to both water pumps.

@Yorky sounds like you have much better coverage than the average house built here. I have several ground rods but only have a ground test box fitted to the lightning conductor due to the 300 million Volts involved. With 220 Volts I wouldn't worry.

My main house copper earth rod is 2 metres long and driven into the ground under the concrete of my car port (I know because I saw them do it). The only method I have of checking the effectiveness is by using the ELBs on the shower water heaters.

Is there another way?

I have separate earth rods adjacent to and connected to both water pumps.
Sounds good to me!

@Bandersnatch did he say gun powder or is that what you thought it was? looked like an Erico cadweld charge. I have used them many times. They use Thermite.
Out of interest what was the ground resistance after the Delta loop went in. Not much lower then the original 2 Ohms I would guess. 1.75 maybe.
FYI 2 Ohms is the threshold resistance for an acceptable lightning earth not 5 like he said. Was the cable used highly braided ?

@Bandersnatch did he say gun powder or is that what you thought it was? looked like an Erico cadweld charge. I have used them many times. They use Thermite.
Out of interest what was the ground resistance after the Delta loop went in. Not much lower then the original 2 Ohms I would guess. 1.75 maybe.
FYI 2 Ohms is the threshold resistance for an acceptable lightning earth not 5 like he said. Was the cable used highly braided ?
Thought classes.

He called it gunpowder. I didn't see the subsequent test, but I wasn't watching them all the time. The cable was not highly braded had a smooth weave and is designed for lightning, I had to order it as no shop in Surin had thick enough cable in stock.

@Rice can you share pictures of your setup for comparison?

Last edited:
Back