Junkie's Burger

"As for 'Surin Dinosaur' me I wouldn't be caught dead on site at a 18-24 every night on Entertainment Soi Surin."

18 - 24? You mean 6 to 12 p.m.?

I like Hippie House myself. Go a couple times a week. Usually around 8 or so. Good food, music, beers and booze, his coffee is excellent. I left a bottle of Bailey's there to top up my coffee when I want. His staff is very cute and pleasant. As are some of the female persuasion that hang around there. And he's a good dude and I want to help with some custom so as to keep him in business hopefully now the Covid is supposedly over. I wish more local farang would do the same and stop in for a bite to eat (seriously, the kid cooking the food there is very good, as is the food and menu items) and a drink or two. WiFi and good music on the stereo or when live music is available. I like to sit out front and watch the people walk by and just chill for a couple hours.

I think getting out of the house and meeting people is good for the soul (no need to be a hermit here, plenty of friendly locals), and I want to help out the local businesses, not just the farang businesses, but the Thai businesses as well. It's not exorbitantly expensive by any means. A couple beers, a coffee, and some food. Last time I went the bill was like 250 baht. For some excellent khao pat gai, a couple beer Lao, and a coffee. I say excellent as the kid cooking does it exaclty how it should be. I hate oily khao pat. His is perfect. I find his khao pat comparable to Fon and Waen's. Done just the way it should be. His fries are beautiful too. Crispy, and served with both ketchup and mayo for dipping. So, unless you are a heavy drinker, it is inexpensive to get out some and enjoy yourself and mingle.

As an added plus my wife also enjoys their foods and the laid back atmosphere. And she is picky about her food.
+1 (except for you description of the chips! 555)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say once you check out the Junkies night space you'll realize how much 'little rent' actually is...if any with no serious overhead besides food, propane and a grill.
Check it out - imo even B100/ nightly rent would seem high for 6 hours of uncovered space and electric.

Perfect fit for a tattoo parlor particularly with farangs waiting or outside a bar recovering before heading home.

As for 'Surin Dinosaur' me I wouldn't be caught dead on site at a 18-24 every night on Entertainment Soi Surin.

My darling makes custom dresses without any overhead under my roof.
Her only expenses were the sewing machines. She doesn't need to work but it keeps her busy and she enjoys it.

"My darling makes custom dresses without any overhead under my roof.
Her only expenses were the sewing machines."

Hardly the same thing we are discussing though.

Good on her though. I like seeing Thai women and their initiative to earn their own money and work, even when having a 'rich' American husband and not having to do so. :)

20200724_181244.jpg 20200724_184444.jpg 20200724_185728.jpg
Bacon and onion ring on double-beef cheeseburger. Unbelievably one of the best tasting burgers I've had in Surin. I was shocked. Bacon w/ onion ring is a winner. They have a special sauce as I added no other condiment.
Apparently their business is predominantly carry-out from curbside.
A two-person team (photo above) had their shit together and functioned in perfect tandem.
Simple business plan: pork and beef patties, onion rings and french fries.

A tale of two cities. Well, not exactly, more a tale of two locations with different conclusions.

I went off to see the new DoHome store yesterday, and saw the Junkies burger sign out of the corner of one eye soon after passing Makro, so I turned back and ordered a double beef burger. It came as described above in a good bun (the size was fine) with a battered onion ring, bacon, that special sauce and some rabbit food. It arrived moments after a dish of VERY hot chips (they weren't fries, thanks) was put on my table, and followed by a "free" bottle of Coke (come on... nothing is free!) All very tasty, good service, not too expensive, and head and shoulders above any other burger that I've had in Surin. No dammit, in Thailand! 10/10 thank you very much!

I was alone enjoying that burger, but told the family how good it was after arriving back home, so we decided to find their other place in Surin tonight for a repeat helping. It wasn't their fault that there was nowhere to park. It wasn't their fault that a group of youths had arrived before us and were well into a bottle of dodgy looking spirits with a load of empty soda bottles littering the table (though they could have moved those if they'd wanted to.) It wasn't their fault either that the youths were shouting across each other at 120 decibels either. We arrived as it was raining, and had to sit at one of the two tables under cover, that being the one right next to the youths, but it wasn't the owners' fault that the lads were chain-smoking, nor that the smoke was overpowering the four of us, even after a fan was provided many minutes after my wife asked for one to blow the smoke away.

You remember the free bottle of Coke yesterday? They asked if we wanted a drink not too long after arriving, so we asked for the Cokes please. "Only with the double burger" they said. Ok so they ordered nam yin, but I'd ordered a double burger, so requested the "free" Coke too. The water arrived, and the minutes passed. After some 10-15 minutes, my wife asked again for the Coke. "It will be served with the food" they said. I was thirsty and wanted it before the food, but nope. So I ordered a second Coke, NOW please. Another 5 minutes passed, while the level of smoke and noise from the next table increased to the point where I was ready to leave at the combination of issues. Eventually, a plate of chips arrived, followed a few minutes later by three single pork burgers. I sat twiddling my thumbs then reminded them that neither Coke had arrived yet. Another few minutes went by, with nothing happening save for my blood pressure rising in tune to the loudness of the neighbours' screeching.

Finally, after a further 5 minutes passed, one Coke arrived, but no burger. My wife recognised the signs of a pressure cooker about to explode and implored them to send the burger without any further delay. It came, but the other three burgers had already been eaten by then. I smouldered in silence, mollified only by the fact that the burger really was very good....

Will we go again? Not on your nelly!

We may have lunch at the one near Makro (it is almost directly opposite the Honda bike dealers) but the one in town can go and do one as far as I'm concerned.

A tale of two cities. Well, not exactly, more a tale of two locations with different conclusions.

I went off to see the new DoHome store yesterday, and saw the Junkies burger sign out of the corner of one eye soon after passing Makro, so I turned back and ordered a double beef burger. It came as described above in a good bun (the size was fine) with a battered onion ring, bacon, that special sauce and some rabbit food. It arrived moments after a dish of VERY hot chips (they weren't fries, thanks) was put on my table, and followed by a "free" bottle of Coke (come on... nothing is free!) All very tasty, good service, not too expensive, and head and shoulders above any other burger that I've had in Surin. No dammit, in Thailand! 10/10 thank you very much!

I was alone enjoying that burger, but told the family how good it was after arriving back home, so we decided to find their other place in Surin tonight for a repeat helping. It wasn't their fault that there was nowhere to park. It wasn't their fault that a group of youths had arrived before us and were well into a bottle of dodgy looking spirits with a load of empty soda bottles littering the table (though they could have moved those if they'd wanted to.) It wasn't their fault either that the youths were shouting across each other at 120 decibels either. We arrived as it was raining, and had to sit at one of the two tables under cover, that being the one right next to the youths, but it wasn't the owners' fault that the lads were chain-smoking, nor that the smoke was overpowering the four of us, even after a fan was provided many minutes after my wife asked for one to blow the smoke away.

You remember the free bottle of Coke yesterday? They asked if we wanted a drink not too long after arriving, so we asked for the Cokes please. "Only with the double burger" they said. Ok so they ordered nam yin, but I'd ordered a double burger, so requested the "free" Coke too. The water arrived, and the minutes passed. After some 10-15 minutes, my wife asked again for the Coke. "It will be served with the food" they said. I was thirsty and wanted it before the food, but nope. So I ordered a second Coke, NOW please. Another 5 minutes passed, while the level of smoke and noise from the next table increased to the point where I was ready to leave at the combination of issues. Eventually, a plate of chips arrived, followed a few minutes later by three single pork burgers. I sat twiddling my thumbs then reminded them that neither Coke had arrived yet. Another few minutes went by, with nothing happening save for my blood pressure rising in tune to the loudness of the neighbours' screeching.

Finally, after a further 5 minutes passed, one Coke arrived, but no burger. My wife recognised the signs of a pressure cooker about to explode and implored them to send the burger without any further delay. It came, but the other three burgers had already been eaten by then. I smouldered in silence, mollified only by the fact that the burger really was very good....

Will we go again? Not on your nelly!

We may have lunch at the one near Makro (it is almost directly opposite the Honda bike dealers) but the one in town can go and do one as far as I'm concerned.

I was confused by your description, "(it is almost directly opposite the Honda bike dealers)", as I did not know any Honda Bike Dealers nearly opposite Makro. However, I did find the Burger Shop and, while waiting for my order to be cooked, I did spy a rather small Honda Bike shop nearly opposite and to the right. The 10-minute wait was definitely well worthwhile as the double pork & cheeseburger with chips was delicious. Not really in the lean and mean cookery book but what the heck? A little of what you fancy does you good. Talking of which, you may be distracted while you wait by the attractive young lady cooking your burger. Very nice, the burger that is!

20200730_123141.jpg

Lid propped up with a chip to view inside.

Still say the bun is rubbish BUT I shall have two next time in town.:D:D
114072901_175729030631109_4879046576757696349_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/103907741146572/photos/a.104631801074166/175729027297776/?type=3&theater

Copied from another post by @Cent and as requested by @Coffee (trainee moderator). :D:D:D

Well, I was walking about with Surin Joe last night. No problems or troubles, many smiling faces and good people. I finally ate a burger from the Junkie's place behind Sawasdee bar. Made my order for a beef cheeseburger, minus any bacon, or onion ring and such inside. Was delicious I thought. Had a side order of their onion rings as well. Quite nice and crunchy and tasty. I thought the home made burger buns were quite nice. I'll be going back of a night when in the mood for food. Only three beers available: Chang, Leo and Singha. Nice people there, the guy doing the burgers seemed to understand my mix of Thai and English when I ordered. And cheap eats yet good food. JMHO

Last edited:
Back