Just how poor is Surin ?

Why would you want to take the Thainess out of the girl (or boy, in my case)?

If you wanted a 100% American, or Oz, girl, surely you would have married one?

The difference can be maddening at times, but by and large it's part of the fun.

Absolute bullshit again IB...they never, ever show any Thainess until they've tied you up some way or another. It's always "Up To You", mai pen rai crap..until you've found out that it's there in that one as well. Look how many go arse up after the car's been bought in their name, the house is built or in some foolish case, the dowry's paid up.

You can take the girl out of Thailand but, you cannot take Thailand out of the girl.
My beautiful wife has been living in Oz for almost 9 years and, she adores the life style and culture.
Her day to day life is exactly Australian and, funnily enough, questions the lunacy that crops up in Thailand on a daily basis.
Unfortunately, give her a week back in Thailand her Thainess kicks in.
Even our daughters ask, " Dad, why is mum acting different "?.
It usually takes about 2 weeks back in Oz before she is " Normal ".

Feret,

Can you specify the differences, the changes, you and your daughters see and notice? I'd be interested in those observations as to her 'Thainess' kicking in after all the time away acclimating to another country/culture.

Mike

P.S I have friends whose wives have lived with them outside of Thailand for decades, but have moved back to Thailand for retirement. I'll have to put this question to them as well and see what they report back.

It was our choice to come and live in Thailand. It was our choice to marry a Thai. It must have been worse living in our own countries and the women in our own countries: I shudder to think what they must be like. My Thai wife is honest, hard working, has a heart of gold. A wonderful woman. I love her Thainess. I know some lovely Thai people. As in my own country there is good people and shit as well. Having a disability makes me notice things about people. In NZ and Australia I have rarely been offered assistance by people like I have in Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia. I agree that disability services here are poor but the people here have a far better attitude. Another example. Go into Big C and see how many Farang ignore you. The Thai's smile a bloody side more. The old saying: If you cannot stand the heat in the kitchen, get out. Move on and get a life. I am happy here.

To follow on from where Deerculler left off. I have been living with my Thai wife for the past 11 years, married for 10 1/2 of those, and have a 5 year and 9 year old daughter. I said earlier that I did not think too much of my mother-in-law but, in all fairness, my recent spell in hospital has really brought the best out of my Thai family. It was relatively easy for me, lying in bed and being waited on hand and foot, but my wife and mother-in-law had to organise themselves to provide constant care for me and for my two daughters still living in the family home and going to school each day. All credit where credit is due, they really surpassed themselves.

Awesome1

I can honestly say after my wife living in Australia for twelve years, sure she has been farangised. But it does not matter how long I stay with her here in Thailand, she is no different as to her unique personality that has evolved over time with the merging of two cultures as has mine to Thai culture.

Absolute bullshit again IB...they never, ever show any Thainess until they've tied you up some way or another. It's always "Up To You", mai pen rai crap..until you've found out that it's there in that one as well. Look how many go arse up after the car's been bought in their name, the house is built or in some foolish case, the dowry's paid up.

Your prejudice against all things Thai has led you to make a fool of yourself as usual, Surin. And yet you have often said you're very happy here. It just doesn't tie up.

Several people on this forum have already expressed their happiness with their Thai wives.... but they haven't said the "Thainess" has gone out of them.

True indeed, plenty of people have made fools of themselves over Thai girls but wouldn't those same people as likely made fools of themselves wherever they had gone?

Your prejudice against all things Thai has led you to make a fool of yourself as usual, Surin. And yet you have often said you're very happy here. It just doesn't tie up.

Several people on this forum have already expressed their happiness with their Thai wives.... but they haven't said the "Thainess" has gone out of them.

True indeed, plenty of people have made fools of themselves over Thai girls but wouldn't those same people as likely made fools of themselves wherever they had gone?

As usual!..you clown...I'm happy here personally and have a beautiful family..you have none of that and see things differently than I do. I have been here long enough to say that the many don't enjoy their life here in Thailand. Thainess has led to many poor souls taking the jump or ending their life by other means including chronic alcoholism.
I was married before to a Thai that was a clone of many others and I've been through the system of Thainess...you and nobody would accept that principal in your own country.
Of course there are successful relationships and Deerculler is one of them..but by christ I've seen many doco's and seen friends and others in sheer contrast to that and it's not just me saying that Thailand is very unfair to expats.
As I've said before in other posts...I've been told that I should not be here by the same people that have 17 family members living in my country and enjoying the perks...but they fought to the death to get me out of my home here...but failed.
Yes, it's a contradiction as you say...but because of what I can do and how I can enjoy what ever I want to do, I'll remain here and pity the poor ******* that's stuck in a rut because of the Thainess of it all.

I know a guy that won't use the forum here in Surin, that lived with his Thai wife in England for about 10 years, moved back here with her, his adopted son and daughter, built the big house..she immediately turned against him and the marriage is over without him having the slightest idea why! He's left penniless and without a future or home to go to. That's the type of thing I'm pissed off with here...so IB, don't tell me I'm prejudiced against all things Thai..I've been employing dozens of them for 10 years or more, giving a better life to Thais and their families.

As usual!..you clown...I'm happy here personally and have a beautiful family..you have none of that and see things differently than I do. I have been here long enough to say that the many don't enjoy their life here in Thailand. Thainess has led to many poor souls taking the jump or ending their life by other means including chronic alcoholism.
I was married before to a Thai that was a clone of many others and I've been through the system of Thainess...you and nobody would accept that principal in your own country.
Of course there are successful relationships and Deerculler is one of them..but by christ I've seen many doco's and seen friends and others in sheer contrast to that and it's not just me saying that Thailand is very unfair to expats.
As I've said before in other posts...I've been told that I should not be here by the same people that have 17 family members living in my country and enjoying the perks...but they fought to the death to get me out of my home here...but failed.
Yes, it's a contradiction as you say...but because of what I can do and how I can enjoy what ever I want to do, I'll remain here and pity the poor ******* that's stuck in a rut because of the Thainess of it all.

I know a guy that won't use the forum here in Surin, that lived with his Thai wife in England for about 10 years, moved back here with her, his adopted son and daughter, built the big house..she immediately turned against him and the marriage is over without him having the slightest idea why! He's left penniless and without a future or home to go to. That's the type of thing I'm pissed off with here...so IB, don't tell me I'm prejudiced against all things Thai..I've been employing dozens of them for 10 years or more, giving a better life to Thais and their families.

I didn't know that you'd previously been married to a Thai, and obviously had a bad time of it; that explains a lot.

It's not that I want to criticise you, but I did wonder what had happened to make you so negative about things Thai. You rarely, if ever, have anything positive to say.

There are good and bad in every country. Nowhere is all good or all bad. I've had many Thai friends, especially when I lived in Chiangmai, mostly academics who are a bit different from Isan villagers!

I didn't know that you'd previously been married to a Thai, and obviously had a bad time of it; that explains a lot.

It's not that I want to criticise you, but I did wonder what had happened to make you so negative about things Thai. You rarely, if ever, have anything positive to say.

There are good and bad in every country. Nowhere is all good or all bad. I've had many Thai friends, especially when I lived in Chiangmai, mostly academics who are a bit different from Isan villagers!

I refuse to paint a rosy picture of the place when in general, it's not IB. This country up until an army coup was torn between 2 extremes..red and yellow shirts. It was total anarchy. We also had cops shaking expats down, corrupt politicians, immigration officer, customs officials a useless education system and the elite pay off to escape horrendous crimes committed by their kids.
Stabbings, robberies and every other thing we have come to shake our head in disbelief. This is all "Thainess". Now were told they are the happiest nation on the planet.
I could say it's a great place to live, I could also say you could buy a beer whenever you want, go to a bar or establishment that doesn't close at midnight..rent a jetski, take a taxi without a hassle, drive about in your vehicle safely. BUT IB...you can't, but this is where I live. I love my life here, my housekeeper's been with me for 12 years. My point is...I cannot see it all turning out roses for a lot of people that haven't the knowledge and listen to and read some of the glorious posts on the forum and other forums.

I refuse to paint a rosy picture of the place when in general, it's not IB. This country up until an army coup was torn between 2 extremes..red and yellow shirts. It was total anarchy. We also had cops shaking expats down, corrupt politicians, immigration officer, customs officials a useless education system and the elite pay off to escape horrendous crimes committed by their kids.
Stabbings, robberies and every other thing we have come to shake our head in disbelief. This is all "Thainess". Now were told they are the happiest nation on the planet.
I could say it's a great place to live, I could also say you could buy a beer whenever you want, go to a bar or establishment that doesn't close at midnight..rent a jetski, take a taxi without a hassle, drive about in your vehicle safely. BUT IB...you can't, but this is where I live. I love my life here, my housekeeper's been with me for 12 years. My point is...I cannot see it all turning out roses for a lot of people that haven't the knowledge and listen to and read some of the glorious posts on the forum and other forums.

Having financial resources to rise above the surface also helps.

As a good friend's Thai wife said.... "Thailand is a lovely country, the only problem with it is the Thais".

That is not a hackneyed Farang speaking that is an educated Thai.

They are retards.... end of.

But, I was happy that one of those retards drove out 3 km to come and change my punctured tyre on my car. He asked for 100 Baht. I told the missus to give him 200 Baht. Obviously, she wouldn't do what I said, she gave 160 Baht - see even the Thais want to keep the retards retarded !!

I am fairly certain that we are using each other.

!

I did, because the last time I met Mr & Mrs Surin, it was many years ago when they offered to give me advice about the legal side of divorce in LOS..
It helped but the system still had a few surprises. If I could turn back time, there isn't much that I would change and I am still happy that I left England.

I did, because the last time I met Mr & Mrs Surin, it was many years ago when they offered to give me advice about the legal side of divorce in LOS..
It helped but the system still had a few surprises. If I could turn back time, there isn't much that I would change and I am still happy that I left England.

I can't think of anything that would make me want to go back.

I can't think of anything that would make me want to go back.

I fell in love with the Far East back in the late Sixties after 4 or 5 visits to the area with the RAF. When my 25 year marriage to my fist wife fell apart it was no contest - head East young man to look for and have a fresh start in life. I am, as the saying goes, as happy as a pig in muck (you thought I was going to say shit but I didn't). There is absolutely nothing that would entice or want me to return to the UK to live.

ThumbUp6

Utter bull shit. You should of seen what the wife dropped in HomePro today.Crazy1

Putting that aside there are a lot of new modern style Thai house being built around us with out farang money. Then again I can sure show you some issan castles in the area.

Most wealthy Thai and Chinees Thai , think and say MOST Farangs In Surin are Kino , tight to say the least , and I have to agree , some even drink beer they don't even like just to save a couple of baht ....Cry3......
On Surin golf course they also have this reputation , sad ,

Most wealthy Thai and Chinees Thai , think and say MOST Farangs In Surin are Kino , tight to say the least , and I have to agree , some even drink beer they don't even like just to save a couple of baht ....Cry3......
On Surin golf course they also have this reputation , sad ,

Alan, you obviously walk in different circles to most of us. I walk with the "Hoi Palloi" and seldom, if ever, rub shoulders with the rich and wealthy Thai and Chinese citizens of Surin. Neither do I drink beer or play golf. Therefore, I guess that rules me out from your assessment or generalisation that most Farangs are kino.

Busted1

Alan, you obviously walk in different circles to most of us. I walk with the "Hoi Palloi" and seldom, if ever, rub shoulders with the rich and wealthy Thai and Chinese citizens of Surin. Neither do I drink beer or play golf. Therefore, I guess that rules me out from your assessment or generalisation that most Farangs are kino.

Busted1

That's why I typed MOST in capital letter s , and never typed All .

...just how poor is Surin

Truly , Thailand is f**ked Up Beyond All Belief.

Strangely, I enjoy life here.

Like many others that would state how screwed up things are...at the end of the day this is where we've chosen to make our home.

One can get screwed over in any country throughout the world...so WTF.
If one looks hard you can find the bad side of anything and anyplace...particularly on the internet.

For me, I'm content here. Whenever I'm not I'll just make another decision and move towards becoming content again...whether in this country or elsewhere.
In fact, I'm getting more content with age. Funny that (the miracles of modern affordable healthcare).

As for living back in 'ol USA I'd have to go back to work to make ends meet. Personally I wouldn't look forward to doing that as circumstances for a self-employed person in the US was a factor as to why I bailed.

I've got a budget that allows me some freedom (if I'm not stoo-pid). I've got a nice boobs2'caretaker' who can decide if she is happy or not.

At the end of the day if the US's Social Security scheme goes to shyte in the future I'll just have to cut back to stretch the budget...which will most likely totally suck. monkeywack
I've never been a jumper when things go bad, nor will I become one. Cry3.

What does this have to do with how poor Surin is ?
It's poor enough to allow me to live here, which is all it really needs to be. ThumbUp6

I fell in love with the Far East back in the late Sixties after 4 or 5 visits to the area with the RAF. When my 25 year marriage to my fist wife fell apart it was no contest - head East young man to look for and have a fresh start in life. I am, as the saying goes, as happy as a pig in muck (you thought I was going to say shit but I didn't). There is absolutely nothing that would entice or want me to return to the UK to live.

ThumbUp6

It happens, Nomad. I was sent to RAF Changi for my National Service in 1956-7, and my one thought after I finished my degree was to get back to Malaya. I came back in 1961, and after a couple of months in Singapore, was sent to Kuching. My assistant was a Sea Dyak, my best friend there was last heard of running an ashram somewhere in Australia, and I learnt a very rustic dialect of Malay. This came to an end too soon, as there was a crisis in Kuala Lumpur, where my friends included one Bartholomew Diaz, a name from Portuguese history, and Gathorne, Lord Medway, who lived by a jungle river looked after by Temiar aborigine servants.

Things settled down after this. My car was stoned during one of Singapore's riots, I witnessed the upheavals in Hong Kong during China's Cultural Revolution, and was out on the streets to defend Hong Kong Chinese people's rights to British citizenship.... and also to protest Tiananmen Square.

When my contract with the British Council concluded, and my Chinese partner was dying of cancer, we chose Chiangmai to retreat to.... before the ultimate Chinese takeaway of Hong Kong in 1997. He loved Chiangmai, and so did I. He died in 1996.

Life goes on, and I met my current partner in Chiangmai in about 2000. He wanted to come home to Buriram, and I joined him in 2007.

I have lived in interesting times, and this is where I've finished up; at 77, I'm unlikely to move again. Nowhere is perfect, and certainly Thailand, and the villages where many of us live, are far from perfect, but I have made my life here, and shall I not look for the best of what I have? If it's a fool's paradise, it's better than a wise man's hell.

If it's a fool's paradise, it's better than a wise man's hell.

I was not familiar with this phrase.

I am now and I am sure I will have (many) occasion to use it.

Back