Leaving for UK

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital

A few years ago a dive instructor buddy of mine (monthly salary about 30,000 Baht) called me from Bangkok Pattaya Hospital with appendicitis. They had given him an injection for the pain, but when they found he had no insurance they refused to treat him or release him until the 8,000 Baht bill for the injection was paid. I paid his bill and took him to the government hospital where he should have gone to start with.

When Bkk Pattaya first opened some 25+ years ago, it was for all the local people and priced accordingly. As tourism took off and wealthy tourists started arriving, they obvbiously decided to pursue this niche market ,and fcuk the locals! Some 12 years ago I happened on the Bangkok Hospital group financial report. All the hospitals but Pattaya were in the red, but fully supported by Pattaya! Doubt much has changed to this day.

I have used Bangkok Korat hospital and found their facilities good and not unduly overpriced

When Bkk Pattaya first opened some 25+ years ago, it was for all the local people and priced accordingly. As tourism took off and wealthy tourists started arriving, they obvbiously decided to pursue this niche market ,and fcuk the locals! Some 12 years ago I happened on the Bangkok Hospital group financial report. All the hospitals but Pattaya were in the red, but fully supported by Pattaya! Doubt much has changed to this day.

I have used Bangkok Korat hospital and found their facilities good and not unduly overpriced

+1 with my experience at Bangkok Korat hospital.

A few years ago a dive instructor buddy of mine (monthly salary about 30,000 Baht) called me from Bangkok Pattaya Hospital with appendicitis. They had given him an injection for the pain, but when they found he had no insurance they refused to treat him or release him until the 8,000 Baht bill for the injection was paid. I paid his bill and took him to the government hospital where he should have gone to start with.
Had the same happen to me in Surin after moving there full time in April 2006 and only arrived the following week before. Got good service from the private hospital. Went in at 6pm, operated @ 9pm and discharged mid-day the next day.

Indeed.

Concur with UJ.

Under the current requirements to enter Thailand during the pandemic, if entering on a new Non O Visa based on retirement, or on a re-entry permit on a retirement extension, the 400/40K Health Insurance is required for the duration of stay granted on entry.

For entry from a new Non O Visa based on retirement, that would be for 90 days.

For an existing extension based on retirement, it would be until the expiry date of the extension.

If entering on a new Non O Visa based on marriage, or a re-entry permit on a marriage extension, then the 400/40K Health Insurance requirement does not apply.

All entries require the 100,000USD Covid Insurance.
Yes I agree with all of that.

The one issue that has changed is that it would now appear that there are now no companies in Thailand issuing the required $100,000 Covid insurance as a stand alone policy, even after completing 6 months current residence. For old crocks like me (over 70) it is still obtainable from a non-Thai company as part of a general insurance policy, which is what I had to do last October. Then it was 800 euros for 3 months cover, and the papers were never looked at.
The Certificate of Entry rules haven't changed at all but one would hope that logically, sometime in the not too distant future, once vaccination is the norm, the authorities will dispense with it, or at least put some logic into it. But I'm not holding my breath.
I haven't seen (or really looked for) recent reference as to how this is affecting people currently travelling from UK back to Thailand.

No doubt things will keep changing. I will not need to sort it out again for a few months. And I still have my full Thai Government Officer health insurance which Bangkok still insists is all I need , but London Thai Embassy people won't listen because it doesn't say $100,000 Covid-19 in big headline letters.

Logic?? Common sense?? I see today that Thai medical authority is telling people they should wear masks even in their own home. Do me a favour !!!!!!!
Just do some vaccinating !!!

jimn

Posted 6 minutes ago
13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
You will need the 40/400k baht medical insurance valid to the day your current extension ends to get a certificate of entry. You will also need the $1000,000 covid 19 insurance valid for the same amount of time.
See number 7 here. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/p...5e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562
Sorry UJ we have had this discussion before. The UK operates this diferrently from most of Europe. You only need the 40k/400k with NEW retirement non O issued in the UK. If you have an original Non O retirement extension with a re entry permit only the $100k Covid insurance is required.

UK Update:

1) Covid home tests:
Both 2day and 8day tests came back negative, therefore I was free to leave home day10, which was on Monday, two days ago.
Somebody from the NHS rang me every day for the same detailed discussion and checks. Different person each day.
Quarantine at home was a pleasure compared to the Bangkok hotel.
2) Covid Vaccination:
I rang my doctors surgery Monday morning, and got vaccination slot for Wednesday 10.20am = today and had my 1st jab this morning at the local community centre. We were checked in individually then organised into 2 lines with a lot of people being vaccinated from 10 separated cubicles with nurse and assistant in attendance in each.
Was the Pfizer jab, but I didn't know it would be beforehand. "Everyone gets that today. It depends which one we are delivered." Then sit quietly for controlled 15 minutes before allowed to leave. So it was only 2 days after I requested to have it - I think I was the only person of my age there for a 1st jab.
Touch wood, no reaction to it whatsoever so far. Everyone else looked ok as well and left after the 15 minutes - EXCEPT 1 MAN - a big crash behind me was a man looking like Father Christmas collapsing off his chair on to the floor. He was still flat out and not moving when I left, but blinking to the nurses tending him.
I will be contacted for the 2nd jab in 11 to 12 weeks.
It was all well controlled and I was impressed by it. Here's hoping they do similar in Esan.

3) An aside:
A hail and hearty volunteer guy was organising the 2 lines of people moving gently down the corridor to turn into the main community room - "How are you today?" and all that stuff. When I reached him he mentioned that there weren't many with grey hair today and I agreed and said that it brought back memories of the pork and ham factory that I used to visit in Denmark. After they arrived in the factory the pigs used to walk gently up a narrow raceway rather like this corridor and when they got to the end of it they turned left and into a gas chamber. He went quiet and remarked that nobody else had said something like that.
So that was ok then.
It really does strike a memory for me because one day I was beside that raceway, with several other people and we were discussing how much better organised it was than in the old days. Then one pig just stared at me, only at me. As it moved along the raceway it kept turning its head round and looking straight at me. No other pigs, and not at other people, and it did that until it turned left and disappeared. It was a message of "I can smell death and you don't help me".
That was 24 years ago but I will remember that pig for the rest of my life.

Then one pig just stared at me, only at me. As it moved along the raceway it kept turning its head round and looking straight at me. No other pigs, and not at other people, and it did that until it turned left and disappeared. It was a message of "I can smell death and you don't help me". That was 24 years ago but I will remember that pig for the rest of my life.

download.jpeg

You mean that 'look' from 80 years ago.
Ahem. Next please...

Second jab in 11 - 12 weeks...are you sure ?
I asked the question and that was the answer. And it is similar to what friends told me had been the picture for them. They all had their 2nd ones some weeks ago.
I read some USA info saying 3 weeks as well - including yesterday when I looked up "side effects of Pfizer vaccine" out of curiosity, so maybe different policies elsewhere. Today I feel a bit "heady" but no big deal - won't stop me going for a haircut - so then I'll be "light-heady".

In ThaiVisa today

Thai Airways flights from Bangkok, starting July, no other details:

Frankfurt 3/week
London, Copenhagen, Sydney 2/week
Paris, Zurich 1/week

Got my 2nd Covid jab this morning, Pfizer same as before. So timescale was 12th May to 3rd July.
Again no reaction at all to it (yet)
System was a mobile phone message from my GP Surgery on Tuesday saying book your second jab by following an appointment link, which I did and it was for this morning, Saturday.
Went to the local community centre for time slot 09.50 to 10.00. Nurse and admin colleague in one of several little cubicles, then sit down with a time label for 15 minutes before allowed to go home.
So very simple and efficient.

I asked about getting a formal hard copy certificate because Thailand would need it.
The NHS does not provide that. I must contact my GP surgery. I will report back.

Positive cases over the last 7 days in Portsmouth city exceed 300 now. Were less than 30 just a few weeks ago.
95% cases in England are now the Delta/Indian variant.
The same will happen in Thailand.

(yet another Indian voice scam phone call as I write this - it never stops here, but if I block them I cannot check my answer machine from Thailand. BritishTelecom technology is not customer friendly)

Back