Licence and work permit.

F

Feret

Can anyone tell me, how hard is to get a Thai drivers licence and a work permit ?.

To get a Thai drivers license you need to have a yellow house registration card (Tabian Baan) first. Then a medical checkup from a GP. That's it.

I will let someone else fill in the details of the other question as it can be complicated in the answer. In some cases permission to work is granted in addition to a spouse visa extension.

Last edited:
To get a Thai drivers license you need to have a yellow house registration card (Tabian Baan) first. Then a medical checkup from a GP. That's it.

I will let someone else fill in the details of the other question as it can be complicated in the answer. In some cases permission to work is granted in addition to a spouse visa extension.

You don't have to have the yellow house book but you do need a certificate of residency from Kap Choeng Immigration cost is 500 baht, a medical cost 50 baht, your home dl.
Also those that have a work permit do not need a CR.

Last edited:
You don't have to have the yellow house book but you do need a certificate of residency from Kap Choeng Immigration cost is 500 baht, a medical cost 50 baht, your home dl.
I didn't have to show a yellow house book or a certificate of residency from immigration. They wanted a certificate from the police (free) medical certification was 20 baht in my village. This was december 2013 in Buriram office. Better go ask what they really want. There you gone have the right information.

Last edited:

Do you have a valid D/L from your homeland, if so no further test will be needed?

Best bet on WP is to ask at the Labour Office that issues them ( assuming that you have a visa that permits work being undertaken).

I have heard of a Farang getting a WP for being in a Limited partnership with Thai wife who runs a restaurant, incidentally. That's a hell of a lot cheaper than opening a company here.

It seems to me. This being Thailand you get told a different story every time from The Land Transport Dept.

All of the above being correct at any one time. A variant of the Schrödinger's cat experiment.

Only the Dr. certificate seems to be the only constant. Any proof of residence in Thailand seems to be the case.

I use a letter from my hotel as proof of address. (I applied and renew in Pattaya).

I didn't have to show a yellow house book or a certificate of residency from immigration. They wanted a certificate from the police (free) medical certification was 20 baht in my village. This was december 2013 in Buriram office. Better go ask what they really want. There you gone have the right information.

This Police report has been available in Buriram only for some years, but as far as I know, has never been available in Surin. Surin Police say its because Immigration is fairly nearby, so they will not provide the service.

This Police report has been available in Buriram only for some years, but as far as I know, has never been available in Surin. Surin Police say its because Immigration is fairly nearby, so they will not provide the service.

I know of no police office in Surin Provence that will do this. But u can try. The question is will the LTD in Surin provence accept a police report as prof of residence ?

Last edited:
The WP can be tricky.

As far as I know you cannot get a WP if you are here on a retirement or marriage visa, this is a condition on having such a visa.

Back