Local Market.

A

alan crisp

As many people know I live out in the stick and that I like to live the simple life.On the odd occasion I go to Surin for some shopping but normally ask my good friend Trevor to pick up the odd bits from Big C,mainly potatoes and shaving foam.Plus I can pick up the some farang food from Stafford's on my bi-monthly Sunday lunch trip.
I always look forward to Thursdays because thats when the local market comes to the village.I can stock up on fruit and veg ,plus the Butcher is there for my weekly 1 kilo of pork.
Pic #1 This is the veg ladies,they look a bit shocked as they don't normally get their photo taken while selling their wears. Carrots, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage and cucumbers .=140 Baht
#2 This is the nice girl that sells the Canom Croc ( they look like green pineapple rings )and my favourite,fried Banana .Bag of each=40 Baht
#3/4 The butcher,1 kilo of Pork . He always cut a piece that is spot on One Kilo ,he have never been wrong in all the years I've bought from him. Think his scales are fixed :) =120 Baht

Running Total=300 Baht.......:)

Last edited by a moderator:
#5 These are canom Boo-ar ( spelling ) .I have to get 2 packs ,One for me and one for Pet my step daughter..:)= 40 baht
#6 Long gong ( spelling )aroy mac mac plus banana and apples=135 Baht
#7 Insects and freshwater shrimps= NO SALE..:)
#8 The Market.Other buys 5 pairs of knickers for Pet=100 baht,2 VCD's for Ploy=80 Baht,hair bands,nail polish remover and a few other bits =35 Baht=215 Baht

Total =690 Baht

Big c is OK but I like my local market...........:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep it Local

I agree, the local markets are really good to browse and get those everyday things and good quality is pretty much guaranteed, particularly with the fruit and veg.

We are also out in the 'Sticks' a bit and the drive to Sang Kha takes 15-20 minutes. There is a really good daily market there which sells almost everything - even a good variety of the 'bugs' which my GF buys and takes back for her and her mum to share. I love browsing round the stalls and often as I am the only farang, it seems that I attract a lot of attention too.

Although Big C and other shops in Surin have a lot more to offer, particularly for the Farang. I reckon we will probably make that a 'once monthly' trip and combine it with a night out in Surin as it is the best part of an hour away. The local market is quite adequate for most of our daily/weekly needs.

Plan is, Fri or Sat afternoon, drive in, book into the Majestic and do our visits, see mates etc. In the evening dump the car, drink beer, party, dance or whatever. Next morning/lunch time, a quick round of Big C with hangover, then back home to ''relax'' for the afternoon.

Paradise with a beer on the decking and the world can wait.

Cheers, MH

Im managing better to steer clear of big C etc more these day's. Sometimes i'll come back from Big C with shit loads of stuff and realise i could have gotten most of it in Sangkha market square, Costs a couple of baht more but i would save that on the fuel. We're not exactly overwhelmed with farang luxuries at Big C, though i must say it's better than it was.

Agreed, most things available including...

Im managing better to steer clear of big C etc more these day's. Sometimes i'll come back from Big C with shit loads of stuff and realise i could have gotten most of it in Sangkha market square, Costs a couple of baht more but i would save that on the fuel. We're not exactly overwhelmed with farang luxuries at Big C, though i must say it's better than it was.

Yep fully agree, but the BIG C trips will be for her ladyship as it still holds great kudos in Thai eyes to be able to go.
That was one of the criteria when I went to meet mama for the first time, I had to promise a family trip to Big C as her mum had been once but never been able to afford much there. Once I had been relieved of 5K baht at the checkout and they had filled my Fortuner up - I was then given the green light to depart the village with 'daughter' under my care.

Sang Kha Market square has got most things and then there is the road out of town to the 24 with lots of stalls, although some were packing up for good when I was there 3 wks ago.

I have yet to find decent bar in Sang Kha, but plan to visit Franks for the first time as soon as I can. I have found a large warehouse full of beer just round the other side of the market, so I shall also be paying them a visit for some stock.

We even try to get all our house building supplies locally, might cost a bit more but the service is very good. I am keen to keep it all local and put money back into the village.

Cheers, MH

I think every body has or must do the BIG C trip with the family in tow. Working off shore, like MHayward, i also laugh when I arrive back home , to find my GF needs to go to Tesco or BIG C, within days of my arrival and then within days of my departure. Its a standing joke with us, BUT i pissed myself the other day when my GF went back to Khon Kaen to do some work and she stayed with her mother who then took her to Tesco for some shopping and guess who paid !! Som num na

It's nice in the local market (Krasang is mine, which is actually a small town) that all the market ladies know you... and help you to find the good vegetables etc, even on other stalls than their own. Big C I visit only for a few things I can't get locally (tins of dog food, coffee, etc), and Makro for a better variety of cheap vegetables, and the only place where I can get muesli (Big C has it, but only the more expensive kinds). Also Makro has good, cheap whole wheat bread (B.32 the large loaf).

Mad Medic and MH you are both spot-on with the trips to Big C with the new Thai family members . Its as if its a day out at an Amusement park for them :Busted: :)
The Market we have here only comes on a Thursday though :( .We do have a new market but it's run by the Local Tambon Mafia. The new Market has been built on the sister in laws land of the Tambon Head ( Nayok Or-bor-tdor spelling ) and there rest of the family members run the shops and small veg stalls in the Market,plus the family has the Petrol Garage and the Builders merchant ,so its well sown up...:)
Rattana Buri is 17k one way and Sikhhoraphum is 26k the other so the bigger town markets are not to for for the Honda Wave if provisions run low ....:)

Back