MAKRO YESTERDAY AFTERNOON

Prakhonchai Nick

You chose a custom title
At 3.45pm yesterday I found myself in Makro. Nornally my shopping tme is around 9am. But I had a doctors appointment at 6 and time to kill.

I have NEVER seen Makro so busy. All checkouts were open and there were at lest 10 trolleys in the queue at each one. There really is not room for so many trolleys. But for the fact I was killing time,I may well have abandoned my trolley. Done that before when there were far less trolleys!.

I was in the "20" queue. 2 women with hand held goods pushed in. I politely but firmly informed them there was a queue that they needed to get to the back of. They moved, with scowls on their faces.

Why I wonder was it left to me - a farang- to take action? Do the Thais not care when someone pushes in, or is the the old avoiding confrontation thing?

At 3.45pm yesterday I found myself in Makro. Nornally my shopping tme is around 9am. But I had a doctors appointment at 6 and time to kill.

I have NEVER seen Makro so busy. All checkouts were open and there were at lest 10 trolleys in the queue at each one. There really is not room for so many trolleys. But for the fact I was killing time,I may well have abandoned my trolley. Done that before when there were far less trolleys!.

I was in the "20" queue. 2 women with hand held goods pushed in. I politely but firmly informed them there was a queue that they needed to get to the back of. They moved, with scowls on their faces.

Why I wonder was it left to me - a farang- to take action? Do the Thais not care when someone pushes in, or is the the old avoiding confrontation thing?

Loads of Cambodians doing their shopping there after their doctor/hospital appointments. It has gotten crazy.

I must admit, being an ugly, fat, ******* Farang standing over 6 feet tall has its advantages. I can tell the fcukers who queue jump me at the check out desk where the fcuk to go. And they usually do, with a whimper and their tails between their legs. :D:D:D

P.S. It upsets my wife if she is with me when I yell at them. WTF over?

I have farangified my wife and SHE will tell them to f**k off, usually in English, but they get the message!! If the kids are there, they will join in too.

You should see what happens if we get stopped at a police spot check, even worse if the MIL (mother in law for Yorky :grinning:) is there. My kids call them doggies!!!

My missus really is one in a million.

One day we will get shot.

Yep it is that one. There is an etiquette to pushing in. You must never make eye contact with the pushee. The Chinese have it down pat on the Thais. They don't push, they shove.
Rice, I am sure I told you this one but I will repeat it.
About 4 years ago, we were staying @ the Golden Tulip, ( ex-Raddison ) in BKK.
This particular morning, we were going down for breakfast in the elevator.
The elevator reached the lobby level and the doors opened.
There was no one else in the elevator and no one to be seen outside waiting.
Our eldest daughter tried to exit the elevator but was knocked flying into the wall by a shoulder charging chinese *****.
She was hurt and I lost my shit.
I pummeled this pushy little ***** as hard as I could.
Hopefully he learned his lesson, yea right.

I have farangified my wife and SHE will tell them to f**k off, usually in English, but they get the message!! If the kids are there, they will join in too.

You should see what happens if we get stopped at a police spot check, even worse if the MIL (mother in law for Yorky :grinning:) is there. My kids call them doggies!!!

My wife is like Nomad''s. Does not like problems and ususally retreats to the car if she senses I will make a problem

My wife is like Nomad''s. Does not like problems and ususally retreats to the car if she senses I will make a problem

I am the calming force in my relationship. My wife is like a viscous Terrier. I would not want to provoke her by starting anything. :eek:

You are one of the fortunate ones - most of us are like Nomad - Thai rak Thai and we get it in the neck from the missus for challenging anyone.

Last edited:
I was in Makro some time ago to buy their (supposedly) cheap printer ink. I asked the attendant for one unit then noticed that the queues were quite long so I returned it to her saying I was not prepared to wait at the checkout - I had better things to do. She collared me and took me past the queues to have the cashier circumvent the indignant buyers to ensure that my purchase was made. They were not happy cookies.

I was in Makro some time ago to buy their (supposedly) cheap printer ink. I asked the attendant for one unit then noticed that the queues were quite long so I returned it to her saying I was not prepared to wait at the checkout - I had better things to do. She collared me and took me past the queues to have the cashier circumvent the indignant buyers to ensure that my purchase was made. They were not happy cookies.
Tough shit.:D

Back