Nationwide Bank/Building Society (UK)

Yorky

Fullritis Member
I heard a rumour this week that Nationwide are requiring all accounts held by persons with foreign addresses (outside Europe) to be closed by the end of the year.

I looked on their website and they only mention opening new Nationwide accounts (not Nationwide International) which appear to be restricted to UK or European residents. I was a little concerned that other UK banks (including mine) may be going the same way.

No UK bank now offer accounts to expats.

I always advise expats coming to Thailand to retain a UK address, bank and credit card.

No UK bank now offer accounts to expats.

I always advise expats coming to Thailand to retain a UK address, bank and credit card.
Agree. The U.K. Address is needed for cr card renewals amongst other things.

Hope my N'wide account is ok as my bank pension goes into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had my £100. :) Basic requirement is both a current and savings account. Then there is/was a need to use the accounts during the past year, not leave them unused.

Spent mine……

Nationwide has long been a good ’bank’ for UK expats.

In the old days ATM withdrawals were totally free. When I was still UK based I gave Jip the card for one account and if she needed to buy stuff I would transfer into that account and she would take money out via the ATM. She wanted to get a sofa and chair one day; she sent me a photo for approval, I immediately paid in £200 and she withdrew 13,000 Baht (that was in the days when GBP/THB was well over 50!).

Even now Nationwide Goldcard does not attract overseas transaction charges on purchases - and the exchange rate is always good.

Back