New Garden Project

nomad97

Resident Geek
Some of you may remember the jungle that was lovingly created by my dear wife. It took her one year of constant neglect but the result was magnificent.

20201010_143400.jpg

At the beginning of November, I started work to create a Capability Brown masterpiece. The first task was to clear the jungle.

14182.jpg

Last edited:
Then it was time to create a planter to house her numerous plants, essential for any Thai kitchen. These had been lovingly cared for, well hidden from potential predators within the darkest depths of the jungle.

messageImage_1606358183514.jpg

And now, today, I have started on the first of 3 main pathways to access various parts of the garden and create more planters in the process.

1606905393525.png

1606905427889.png

Concreting starts tomorrow morning.

So, if they were to argue with you then they would be barking up the wrong tree?
The pooches have no say in the matter. The #1 digger and his aunt were locked-out a few months ago.View attachment 36990
The first 2 meters of the new concrete path has been laid.

View attachment 36998
Art in the beginning stage, We have a similar project of Planting three kinds of lettuce or salad makings Depending upon your terminology. Photos to follow, maybe even a photo of a bowl of salad made with fresh veggies. If you don't try you don't know !

Phase 2 starts ................................... Need to run PVC pipes for electrics and water from carport under the new path before concreting. This is to provide electrics for the BBQ area and water for the pop-up sprinkler system for the new lawn.

20201205_080646.jpg

The area to the left of the new path is under the shade of the mango trees and idea for a vegetable garden. The area to the right of the new path is full sun and idea for the new lawn and BBQ area.

Is it the effect of the light, or do you have blue cement?
I think it is more the effect of the early morning light, and the concrete is still wet, that the colour appears blue. In addition, I did enhanced the image to improve the clarity of the composition. When dry, it looks a light grey. Before starting work this morning the concrete looked like this (not enhanced):

1607488512205.png

The concrete path top left was put down 2 years ago. The concrete path middle right was put down last week. Where the 2 paths meet, and the start of the downward section, was put down yesterday. I wetted down all areas before putting down the new concrete this morning. The hole either side of the path is for the provision of water and electrics to the lawn and BBQ area.

Last edited:
Two days ago, and before starting the downward path section, I laid a 3"pipe under the path to allow for the supply of water and electrics to the proposed lawn and BBQ area. The intention is to run a water main around the paths to facilitate a pop-up sprinkler system for the lawn.

1607489327847.png

1607489384053.png

Later, and after conditioning the 'paddy land clay' with sand, compost, and fertiliser, the grassed area should be the same height as the two main paths. The sprinkler depth is adjustable and the one in the photo is only to show the depth required for the water main.

1607489859760.png

Water (blue) and electrics (white) will be coming from the carport - see blue and white pipes to the right of the photo.

Last edited:
It's the holiday weekend, no school run, an earlier start, and more time for the garden project. A double mix of concrete today.

20201210_082343.jpg

The big mixing tub, which was bought many years ago, has possibly mixed its last load of concrete. Yesterday, I noticed some water on the ground after I finished the mix. Today, the leak was more obvious and a 10 cm crack in the rim of the tub was now clearly visible. I will need to buy a new mixing tub today. :) :) :)

Last edited:
Back