New Garden Project

I disagree. String lines will always sag a little, the greater the distance, the greater the sag. Add the weight of the small level to the line, and you will increase the sag in the line. A wet line will sag more.
Wind will also affect the lines stability.
A regular level coupled with a true straight edge, of either wooded or steel is perfect for projects such as @nomad97's But if you want real accuracy, then a level with a built in Laser is the way to go.
I didn't think we were talking "real accuracy", but rather an inexpensive long level line. Of course a laser is the most accurate. Regarding your criticism of a string line and its possible sag, are you not pulling your line tight...as tight as possible? I don't think the weight of the small line level is going to cause your tightly pulled line to sag much, but then again we are not talking perfectly level here anyway, are we?? And then you mention wind..??
There's perfect, and then there is "get the job done".

Last edited:
For your information, I used 8 cm deep x 4-meter lengths of plain Shera board as formers for the concrete paths. I had 3 or 4 of these boards on hand and the 8 cm depth was just about right for the depth of concrete I was looking for. These boards were pegged in position with wooden slats. The direction and straightness of the paths were determined by eye and a 10-meter steel rule to measure precisely the distance from 2 existing walls that run parallel with the 2 paths, namely, a red brick wall at the top of the garden and a white wall running down the garden. The wooden slatted fence, running alongside the drive to the carport, does not run parallel to the path. The spirit level was placed on the top edge of the Shera board to check for horizontal level over the 4-meter length, and across the top edge of the 2 parallel Shera boards for the 70 cm width of the path. I will concede that the 'string level' may have made the straightness of the paths a little easier but, in my opinion, would have done nothing to improve the horizontal level of the paths. For ease of use, and versatility, I would recommend my spirit level over the string level any day.

For your information, I used 8 cm deep x 4-meter lengths of plain Shera board as formers for the concrete paths. I had 3 or 4 of these boards on hand and the 8 cm depth was just about right for the depth of concrete I was looking for. These boards were pegged in position with wooden slats. The direction and straightness of the paths were determined by eye and a 10-meter steel rule to measure precisely the distance from 2 existing walls that run parallel with the 2 paths, namely, a red brick wall at the top of the garden and a white wall running down the garden. The wooden slatted fence, running alongside the drive to the carport, does not run parallel to the path. The spirit level was placed on the top edge of the Shera board to check for horizontal level over the 4-meter length, and across the top edge of the 2 parallel Shera boards for the 70 cm width of the path. I will concede that the 'string level' may have made the straightness of the paths a little easier but, in my opinion, would have done nothing to improve the horizontal level of the paths. For ease of use, and versatility, I would recommend my spirit level over the string level any day.
I made no criticism and I found no fault with anything or any tools used.
As I said: "Relax, I was only trying to help"

I made no criticism and I found no fault with anything or any tools used.
As I said: "Relax, I was only trying to help"
Not getting at you at all @mario299, just clarifying how I did the job. I do not have a string level although I do have the other spirit level and have done so for many years. I have found it to be a very useful tool too.

Following the injury to my leg on the 7th of January, I have had to take time off from any manual work in the garden. The deep wound needed time to heal. While still not fully healed, the recent heavy rain soaked the garden and it was too good an opportunity to miss. The hard concrete type soil has been softened and I made a start on the preparation of the lawn area again. While taking it easy, ever mindful of my 'bad' leg, I started that work this morning. I began by digging the trench to take the electrical wiring and pipework for the water sprinkler system. Unfortunately, I hit a large patch of 'elephant grass' that needed digging out and that slowed down progress. However, for a first day back to work after a 5-week layoff, I am pleased with what I achieved today. Provided I do not come across anymore 'elephant grass' buried deep in the soil, I should make better progress tomorrow.

20210211_082803.jpg

Couldn't quite fathom out what Elephant Grass was. Something pecuiliar to Surin perhaps. Then I asked Google. Of course, now I understand, it's Pennisetum purpureum Schumach! :grinning:

View attachment 38391
Yes, that's the stuff. It's a prolific and fast-growing grass with very deep roots/rhizomes To get rid of the stuff you need to dig deep and pick out all the rhizomes. Can't afford to leave any bits behind because it will grow back very quickly. A cross-section looks something like this. That's why it is a slow job to pick this stuff out.

1613192311373.png

Yes, that's the stuff. It's a prolific and fast-growing grass with very deep roots/rhizomes To get rid of the stuff you need to dig deep and pick out all the rhizomes. Can't afford to leave any bits behind because it will grow back very quickly. A cross-section looks something like this. That's why it is a slow job to pick this stuff out.

View attachment 38395
It's giving away free as a seed to grow for grass to feed livestock by the DLS (purple guinea) is what is called. It is put into a farm chopper such as

1613196269832.png

Work started on the left-hand side of the garden today. One pickup load of rubbish was carted off to the tip and the brick pedestal was dismantled.

1613265358237.png

However, work was disrupted when I spotted a slithering tail disappear down the holes in the brick. Yes, another uninvited visitor to the garden. That delayed work this morning while the resident snake catcher, me, decided how to dispose of the danger. After teasing the snake into the open I decided it was well within my capabilities to catch the snake myself. I swept it into my large, tin, garden dustpan and sent the snake upwards and over the rear garden wall. No humans were harmed in the process.

20210214_073301.jpg

Overall, not too much to show for this morning's efforts although the pedestal has gone (the structure hides a soakaway to the main drainage system), and is useful when major storms dump a lot of rain.

20210214_075323.jpg

Good progress today. With luck, will reach the end-point and end of the new lawn tomorrow morning, the tall blue pipe near the mango tree. The pipes mark the centerline (between path and wall). The area under the trees will become a decorative shrubbery. The wooden stakes in the middle ground mark the new level required. The lawn should finish flush or slightly above the concrete paths when grown.

20210215_085848.jpg

Good progress today. With luck, will reach the end-point and end of the new lawn tomorrow morning, the tall blue pipe near the mango tree. The pipes mark the centerline (between path and wall). The area under the trees will become a decorative shrubbery. The wooden stakes in the middle ground mark the new level required. The lawn should finish flush or slightly above the concrete paths when grown.

View attachment 38432
seed or turf?

@Coffee got his wish and the two dogs had some fun. After two months of resisting temptation, the two loyal guard dogs, Emily and Bruno, could resist no more. They broke through the aged and fragile plastic sheet covering the pile of sand and had much fun digging and spreading it all around. Gardening is suspended this morning while I take action is taken to recover and protect the pile of sand from further nocturnal invasions.

20210216_071542.jpg

Back