New Government Hospital - Surin

Also I'm registered at the Mayo Clinic Kap Choeng;;bad simle;; and for me to use Surin Government Hospital I need for KC to refer me. I personally do not see any reason why Nick would be refused service at the Surin Hospital but as I said he needs to drop in and ask.

There not restricted but they have to be referred up the change to be covered and that's a fact. Also they're so called 30 baht medical will and does cover them out of area for emergency BUT as soon as their condition is stabilized they have to return to the area that they are registered in. I have been involved for both cases.

It is the same here in Prakhonchai, where Thais are delivered by ambulance to Buriram hospital, when Prakhonchai do not have the fascilities to treat their condition. Once discharged, they have to find their own way back to Prakhonchai.- or pay around 1,000baht for a trip in a returning ambulance.

There not restricted but they have to be referred up the change to be covered and that's a fact. Also they're so called 30 baht medical will and does cover them out of area for emergency BUT as soon as their condition is stabilized they have to return to the area that they are registered in. I have been involved for both cases.
GL! I said "non-Thai" patients not Thai patients. I hesitated to use the word Farang. I will admit I had a typo and the original read "non- Thai"

With Surin having a heart centre it may well be worthwhile my investigating, since that is the most likely matter requiring attention in the future.

You'd be best to investigate the credentials of the mechanic who would be doing your cardiac maintenance or repair.

There are Heart Hospitals (such as your Bangkok Heart Hospital and other Internationally recognized medical centers) where the staff works on pay-to-play economic basis as opposed to the B30 "do the best you can" overworked staff.
In what language will you communicate with your physician and the staff in Surin ?

In our area the pecking order is Surin #1 Prasat #2 and KC #3. Prasat Government Hospital by report I get is fairly uptown.:rolleyes: Friend of the wife did all her prenatal care and deliver. She had a written doctors order from KC authorizing her to use Prasat. After delivery (C section) she made two more visits back to Prasat and then its been KC since.

You'd be best to investigate the credentials of the mechanic who would be doing your cardiac maintenance or repair.

There are Heart Hospitals (such as your Bangkok Heart Hospital and other Internationally recognized medical centers) where the staff works on pay-to-play economic basis as opposed to the B30 "do the best you can" overworked staff.
In what language will you communicate with your physician and the staff in Surin ?

Valid points Coffee. The original repair was done in Bangkok, but Bangkok Korat seem to be on the ball. Better the devil you know. :)

In English of course. With my Thai interpreter (wife) for the more difficult bits.

I have been treated in a top Bangkok Hospital and very nice it is, all the proper facilities and doctors and nurses speaking English too. However, some of us do not have unlimited financial support or health insurance so the best of the best may not be an option in the future. For me, and many others I suspect, it may well come down to horses for courses. To date, I have been well looked after (or lucky) with the medical treatment I have received. When push comes to shove I will probably take my chances on the local Government medical facilities in Surin.

It is the same here in Prakhonchai, where Thais are delivered by ambulance to Buriram hospital, when Prakhonchai do not have the fascilities to treat their condition. Once discharged, they have to find their own way back to Prakhonchai.- or pay around 1,000baht for a trip in a returning ambulance.

Did that happen when they diagnosed you with a dose ? ;):sunglasses:

In English of course. With my Thai interpreter (wife) for the more difficult bits.

I have been treated in a top Bangkok Hospital and very nice it is, all the proper facilities and doctors and nurses speaking English too. However, some of us do not have unlimited financial support or health insurance so the best of the best may not be an option in the future. For me, and many others I suspect, it may well come down to horses for courses. To date, I have been well looked after (or lucky) with the medical treatment I have received. When push comes to shove I will probably take my chances on the local Government medical facilities in Surin.

I imagine that your current medical budget is less than your IT/Man cave budget...... ;)

I believe that I heard that for Thai doctors to 'qualify' they had to speak English.

Did that happen when they diagnosed you with a dose ? ;):sunglasses:

Never had a dose CO-CO.. The English speaking idiot Doctor at PKC hospital who suggested that is what I had when in fact I had kidney stones angrily told me to go away and have a new test the next day if I did not believe him. C"*T!

Last edited:
I imagine that your current medical budget is less than your IT/Man cave budget...... ;)

I believe that I heard that for Thai doctors to 'qualify' they had to speak English.

I have never had a problem speaking English with a Thai Doctor. Bangkok Korat try and get one of their "international girls" to accompany you to the Doctor in the belief he will not understand. I always bypass the check in area!. Extra charge when they are involved!

Never had a dose CO-CO.. The English speaking idiot Doctor at PKC hospital who suggested that is what I had when in fact I had kidney stones angrily told me to go away and have a new test the next day if I did not believe him. C"*T!

I never said you had a dose....

...... at least not on THAT occasion.... ;)

My IT/man cave budget is not as high as you may think. I am running a state-of-the-art PC for less than a total outlay of 20,000 baht with a 24" FHD monitor. Admittedly, I am paying 1,284 baht/month for my 200/100 Mbps Internet connection but that serves 3 PC's hard-wired to the router, 2 Android black boxes also hard-wired, and 3 smart phones (wireless). I can assure you, my medical budget for the past 4 years has been considerably higher and close on 500,000 baht. If I spent the same on my man cave IT there is no doubt that I would have a super computer by now with a 32 core/64 thread AMD 2nd Generation Threadripper .

upload_2018-11-10_17-39-53.png

upload_2018-11-10_17-41-9.png

For those who dream.;;bad simle;; I have only been in the big private one Rhumpet just a few times. My first visit was back in 07, filled out all their forums and waited to see the doctor. They had given me a packet of info on the their service so to kill time I started to read. about the 3 rd page was was a full page advert on their Transgender Surgery Options. You could have a tuck and roll after you had a dickremoval.;;grimace;; You could addadicktome ;;horror;;and they offered the famous supper sized knockers. ;;exciting;;Other options were offered..;;money;;;;money;; I showed this to the wife and she just smiled. ;;bad simle;;

For those who dream.;;bad simle;; I have only been in the big private one Rhumpet just a few times. My first visit was back in 07, filled out all their forums and waited to see the doctor. They had given me a packet of info on the their service so to kill time I started to read. about the 3 rd page was was a full page advert on their Transgender Surgery Options. You could have a tuck and roll after you had a dickremoval.;;grimace;; You could addadicktome ;;horror;;and they offered the famous supper sized knockers. ;;exciting;;Other options were offered..;;money;;;;money;; I showed this to the wife and she just smiled. ;;bad simle;;
Can I sign up for the op?

Seriously Nomad, you spoke English with a cardiothoracic surgeon in detail about surgery at Surin Govt Hospital ?

Yes, the young urologist speaks English well. He wanted to remove one of my kidneys five years ago with open surgery.
Laparoscopy was not an option in Surin.

I sought a second opinion in Bangkok and moved forward there receiving laparoscopic surgery allowing me to keep +60% of that kidney.
It turned out to be an encapsulated hematoma versus a renal cancer tumor.
I was very fortunate to have medical insurance at that time.

Surely finances are a major decision for all retirees with or without major-medical coverage.

Seriously Nomad, you spoke English with a cardiothoracic surgeon in detail about surgery at Surin Govt Hospital ?

Yes, the young urologist speaks English well. He wanted to remove one of my kidneys five years ago with open surgery.
Laparoscopy was not an option in Surin.

I sought a second opinion in Bangkok and moved forward there receiving laparoscopic surgery allowing me to keep +60% of that kidney.
It turned out to be an encapsulated hematoma versus a renal cancer tumor.
I was very fortunate to have medical insurance at that time.

Surely finances are a major decision for all retirees with or without major-medical coverage.
Young urologist as in a junior? The man treating me is middle aged and Head of Department. Maybe we are not talking about the same man. I might add, I always thought you had a cancer, maybe I was mistaken.

@nomad97 I did have cancer and it spread. I was very lucky to have undergone surgeries, radiation and chemo...just chose not to have major procedures in Surin.

At present I'm a survivor that still must undergo some form of diagnostic treatment.

I was very fortunate that cancer hadn't entered my kidneys as that's a course well traveled due to blood circulation. Probably 95% of all renal tumors are cancerous. I was extremely lucky to beat those odds.

Back