New Traffic Cameras

nomad97

Resident Geek
A few days ago I noticed some workmen at the traffic lights by the klong on the main road going into town. You know, the one that is an extension of the 226 coming in from Robinson's and runs past the main schools towards the town center. I wondered what they were doing. Today I have a definitive answer - they have put in traffic cameras - one either way going into and coming from town. Judging by the positioning and height of these cameras I would guess that they are there for one purpose only - to catch drivers jumping the lights.

I know from the daily school runs that I do that many drivers jump the lights and continue crossing after the lights turn to red. In part this is due to the short 20 second window going into town that causes much frustration. There is a 50 second window coming out.

I also saw, for the first time, a new camera installation at the next set of traffic lights too. However, these were positioned much higher and at the corner of the junction. It would seem these are for traffic control rather than traffic offenses.

One has to wonder whether the authorities got a one off cheap deal on the cameras as the authorities in Kuala Lumpur did. Then there was an extortionate charge for replacement film (yes, it was many years ago) so many of the cameras were empty.

20 second green often only permits 2/3 car to pass. Thai drivers could learn a lot watching F1. 4/5 seconds often pass when the lights change green before they even move!

4/5ths would be a great improvement

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were implying F1 drivers took 4/5 seconds to accelerate off the grid. In that time the leaders are probably around the first corner!

[Edit: FP3 1700 hrs today]

Last edited:
If the new cameras are to catch red light jumpers, one can only hope that the guilty ones will be heavily fined as a minimum. A few hundred baht is totally insignificant

Been on the same run again this morning. They have been busy putting up additional speed cameras and some traffic control cameras. I welcome the speed cameras as its the only way to stop so many of the traffic violations I see daily.

Speed cameras.jpg

These are the current motoring penalties. 300bt for running a red light!!!!!! None really act as a deterrant

This is what it is supposed to cost for common traffic violations. Pay on the spot without a receipt and it will likely be half!

No license plate - B400
Running a red light - B300
Reckless driving - B400
Illegal U-turn - B400
Blocking traffic - B200
Operating an illegal vehicle - B1,000
Parking in a non-parking area - B200
No vehicle insurance - B600
Driving against the flow of traffic - B200
No helmet (Passenger & Driver) - B200
No driver's license - B400
No owner's registration - B400
Overdue vehicle tax - B400
Using a vehicle which makes noise louder than the prescribed limit - B1,000

Running red lights should carry at least a 1,000 baht fine for the first offence and 3 penalty points on the licence. Subsequent violations a 12 month driving ban.

Running red lights should carry at least a 1,000 baht fine for the first offence and 3 penalty points on the licence. Subsequent violations a 12 month driving ban.

How many accidents are reported countrywide, often with death, for running red lights. I would go for 5,000Baht MINIMUM. One of the more serious motoring offences. Don't do it, don't pay!

There was much talk last year of motoring penalties being overhauled with realistic fines introduced. As usual...just talk! Nothing ever happens here in Thailand. Might upset too many people, then someone would not be PM again!

These are the current motoring penalties. 300bt for running a red light!!!!!! None really act as a deterrant

This is what it is supposed to cost for common traffic violations. Pay on the spot without a receipt and it will likely be half!

Is "speeding" intentionally left out from the list or an oversight?

How many accidents are reported countrywide, often with death, for running red lights. I would go for 5,000Baht MINIMUM. One of the more serious motoring offences. Don't do it, don't pay!

There was much talk last year of motoring penalties being overhauled with realistic fines introduced. As usual...just talk! Nothing ever happens here in Thailand. Might upset too many people, then someone would not be PM again!
Nick, I agree. The big But. Make fines big. Where do they find the money to pay the fines. Most of them have not got the money and never will have. Those with money will not pay because of who they know.The mentality is: They cannot think.
Big fines will not do anything when you know the mentality of the population here. Sorry Nick. Should we meet again sometime I will buy you a beer.

Nick, I agree. The big But. Make fines big. Where do they find the money to pay the fines. Most of them have not got the money and never will have. Those with money will not pay because of who they know.The mentality is: They cannot think.
Big fines will not do anything when you know the mentality of the population here. Sorry Nick. Should we meet again sometime I will buy you a beer.

First they must publicise the fines....5,000Baht (or whatever deterrent figure they come up with) for every motoring infringement

As I said..don't do it, don't pay.

If you do break the law and have no money, then just as with the card and domino players who get caught and cannot pay, I think the result is 1 night monkey house for every 300baht fine. Perhaps their friends will have a whip round, but they will only do it once!

Word of mouth and they will soon learn. There really is no other alternative.

There is about 6 billion pounds owed in unpaid fines in the UK and about 6 million dollars of unpaid fines owed in NZ. Putting anyone in prison does not work either. Only thing happens is the prisons overflow. There is no answer.

Back