New Traffic Cameras

Haven’t read all posts, but have experienced the camera’s at the lights in Ubon. The registered vehicle owner gets a 500b speeding fine posted to them with 2 colour photo’s on it too. Oops!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The workmen were out again this morning putting in the finishing touches - wiring, ducting and concreting the bases. Should be operational very soon, a couple of days at most.

The inability of (or refusal by) so many of those convicted by UK courts to pay fines is a huge problem. Magistrates fail to apply any meaningful punishments as a result. So many are jobless, and regard unpaid community work as no more than a mild nuisance that interferes so nominally with their indolent lifestyles. The prisons are overcrowded which removes that option, and in any case, punishes the rest of the taxpaying population more than the criminal! The consequence of no effective punishment is that there is no effective discouragement for the convicted NOT to reoffend, whatever the crime.

The lame liberals find any excuse to mitigate the criminals' behaviour, while watching crime rates escalate. The thought of imposing harsh (as in effective) sentences is, to them, an anathema. The crime was probably committed due to their nursing mother's left nipple being blocked or some such nonsense. Can we sympathise with those from broken homes? Yes, of course, but not at a price of excusing criminal or anti-social behaviour.

So what is the solution? Did transportation to Australia cure those who stole a loaf? Probably not. What would deter people from starting on a life of crime then? If they are caught committing their first ever crime, should we simply "let them off" with a warning (aka a conditional discharge or probation) or should the punishment (NOT some wishy-washy rehabilitation!!!) be difficult enough to handle by them while not preventing them from seeking/carrying out active and legal employment?

Maybe a harsh daily curfew with reporting requirements would be more effective (and paid for through cost savings made by the lower cost of management than imprisonment or freedom to offend again would incur.) Anything used in committing the crime should be confiscated and sold to mitigate costs and or paid as compensation to victims.

The arguments against meaningful financial penalties or confiscation here are mainly the unaffordability of higher fines, and the need for transport for work. No one said that fines for crimes committed should ever be "affordable" though - they are supposed to be a fitting punishment, not an accessory for life such as a tv, jewellery, a holiday. Yes, it would punish their families too, but isn't that a step towards getting them to realise that there are other "victims" for their crimes, apart from those from whom they stole, or had accidents with? How many Thai wives manage their household economies without any material involvement from their husbands who spend anything earned in a field on Lao Khao or playing cards etc? They'd get by.

Caught by a camera at the lights? Lose the use of your vehicle for "X" days... on a scale of seriousness, and frequency of being caught.

Plenty of scope there for discussion and better ideas too.

A harsh daily curfew with reporting requirements, would be ignored just as paying a fine is. Just what is going to be done when they don't report?

If governments want to get serious about things, whether UK, Thailand or anywhere else, just confiscate the offending vehicle (regardless of where it and the driver -and passengers -happen to be) and only give it back (from the same area) when the fine has been paid or penalty served. After 6 months or 1 year, sell the confiscated vehicle. Required for transport to and from work? --they should have thought about that before they broke the law!

I have no sympathy with law breakers (despite having broken many laws in my time) There were not 60+ people killed every day on the roads then. Cause them hardship, and they will think twice about doing it again.

You and me both.

Luckily I didn't get caught.

I got caught once-speeding. coming away from Brands Hatch. Could it have been an F1 race, some 56/57 years ago?

Saw a sports car in my mirror, gaining on me rapidly. Was not going to make it easy for him. He overtook me, rang his bell, and I was pulled in by a Daimler Dart with 2 cops inside! Cost me £30...A bloody fortune in those days! Worth about £250 today!

upload_2019-4-30_19-35-54.jpeg

Forgot to mention...I was in my Standard 8 convertible

220px-Standard_Flying_Eight_cabriolet_1021cc_registered_March_1939_01.JPG

I got caught once-speeding. coming away from Brands Hatch. Could it have been an F1 race, some 56/57 years ago?

Saw a sports car in my mirror, gaining on me rapidly. Was not going to make it easy for him. He overtook me, rang his bell, and I was pulled in by a Daimler Dart with 2 cops inside! Cost me £30...A bloody fortune in those days! Worth about £250 today!

View attachment 28160
Love those cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are the current motoring penalties. 300bt for running a red light!!!!!! None really act as a deterrant

This is what it is supposed to cost for common traffic violations. Pay on the spot without a receipt and it will likely be half!

No license plate - B400
Running a red light - B300
Reckless driving - B400
Illegal U-turn - B400
Blocking traffic - B200
Operating an illegal vehicle - B1,000
Parking in a non-parking area - B200
No vehicle insurance - B600
Driving against the flow of traffic - B200
No helmet (Passenger & Driver) - B200
No driver's license - B400
No owner's registration - B400
Overdue vehicle tax - B400
Using a vehicle which makes noise louder than the prescribed limit - B1,000
Running the red light in Choc Chai costs 900 baht. I have seen a ticket., not mine I may add

This afternoon at 16.00 I saw 2 policemen with hand held cameras checking out the traffic flow. I have a feeling that the new traffic cameras are now live, or will be live very soon. :cool::cool::cool:

This afternoon at 16.00 I saw 2 policemen with hand held cameras checking out the traffic flow. I have a feeling that the new traffic cameras are now live, or will be live very soon. :cool::cool::cool:

Sure they were not hand held radar detectors with photo capability to give you a ticket.;;bad simle;;

Back