Now you see it, now you don't, almost

Yesterday started out well, with one more tree hitting the ground however, the shit hit the fan when I fired up the brush cutter.:oops:
All was going well 5 minutes into the job when, the nylon chord cutting head decided to self destruct, sending parts in all directions---righting it off.
I thought I had no chance of getting a replacement here but I was wrong.
The third shop we tried had a replacement setting me back Farang price, 350 thb--a tad exey but, I needed it.:oops::oops::oops::eek:
I asked if I could return it if it didn't fit and, I was told, no plom-plam.:oops:
Guess what, wrong fugging thread pattern.:mad:
I just gave up when Pats brother arrived and said, in Cambodian that he knew another shop just out of Sangkha.
Pat and her brother took the new head back, got the refund and went to the other shop, found the replacement, which fitted and happy days.
Within 10 minutes, I was hacking and slashing like a pro.
The compliant head was only 120 thb, not a Farang to be seen.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D

Yesterday started out well, with one more tree hitting the ground however, the shit hit the fan when I fired up the brush cutter.:oops:
All was going well 5 minutes into the job when, the nylon chord cutting head decided to self destruct, sending parts in all directions---righting it off.
I thought I had no chance of getting a replacement here but I was wrong.
The third shop we tried had a replacement setting me back Farang price, 350 thb--a tad exey but, I needed it.:oops::oops::oops::eek:
I asked if I could return it if it didn't fit and, I was told, no plom-plam.:oops:
Guess what, wrong fugging thread pattern.:mad:
I just gave up when Pats brother arrived and said, in Cambodian that he knew another shop just out of Sangkha.
Pat and her brother took the new head back, got the refund and went to the other shop, found the replacement, which fitted and happy days.
Within 10 minutes, I was hacking and slashing like a pro.
The compliant head was only 120 thb, not a Farang to be seen.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D

This Farang pricing was never a thing until very recent years around Surin province. I can get Thai prices when I am alone. I become invisible if I am with my wife. No mean feat for me.
Lucky for me, I have made many Thai friends in the service industry around Sikhorapum. I cannot tell you how pleasant it is to be considered human and have people converse with you. Even if you can speak Thai most folk just turn off when they see a farang face and refuse to listen, even if you are talking Thai.

This Farang pricing was never a thing until very recent years around Surin province. I can get Thai prices when I am alone. I become invisible if I am with my wife. No mean feat for me.
Lucky for me, I have made many Thai friends in the service industry around Sikhorapum. I cannot tell you how pleasant it is to be considered human and have people converse with you. Even if you can speak Thai most folk just turn off when they see a farang face and refuse to listen, even if you are talking Thai.

Yes, I am barred from such shopping trips with my wife. She is a firm believer in keeping me well out of sight. It's best I stay home and she goes out to do the shopping. :confused::confused::confused:

A parallel situation is the plight of those disabled people in the UK (as one example) who are talked over by shop assistants and waiters/waitresses in particular. It led to the writing of a BBC Radio 4 series called "Does he take sugar?" typifying a waitress asking a disabled person's carer/parent the question instead of speaking directly to (typically) the wheelchair user, and the social/psychological consequences for disabled people in particular.

Anyone who has taken a wheelchair-bound patient out shopping or to a restaurant will relate to the situation, and I experienced it frequently when caring for my mother who was a stroke victim but was perfectly capable of speaking (and understanding) clearly and lucidly. I would reply "then you'd better ask her yourself..." refusing to accept their ignorant attitude. That invariably resulted in their embarrassed apologies.

It truly pissed me off, just as it does here when I ask, clearly, in Thai, for dishes or the bill and responses are directed towards my wife. In addition, after I request the bill from them and pay for things, any change due is usually offered to her rather than me... grrrr!

A parallel situation is the plight of those disabled people in the UK (as one example) who are talked over by shop assistants and waiters/waitresses in particular. It led to the writing of a BBC Radio 4 series called "Does he take sugar?" typifying a waitress asking a disabled person's carer/parent the question instead of speaking directly to (typically) the wheelchair user, and the social/psychological consequences for disabled people in particular.

Anyone who has taken a wheelchair-bound patient out shopping or to a restaurant will relate to the situation, and I experienced it frequently when caring for my mother who was a stroke victim but was perfectly capable of speaking (and understanding) clearly and lucidly. I would reply "then you'd better ask her yourself..." refusing to accept their ignorant attitude. That invariably resulted in their embarrassed apologies.

It truly pissed me off, just as it does here when I ask, clearly, in Thai, for dishes or the bill and responses are directed towards my wife. In addition, after I request the bill from them and pay for things, any change due is usually offered to her rather than me... grrrr!

+1

Back