Numberplates and Alcohollimit

N

nongfrank

Hello, today I have 2 Questions , they cause a lot of discussions in my pub, maybe someone has the right answers, please no assumptions.

1. Numberplates: everywhere ther you see different colours on numberplates. Pick Up white green letters, white blue letters, white black letters. Cars white black letters and sometimes black white letters.
What is the different meaning.

2. Is there an Alcohol limit in Thailand ? I got 2 different informations a: 0,5 promille b: 0.0 promille

Thanks Frank

On pickup..white green, 2 door, white blue...xtended cab, white black..4 door, on cars I don't know

On alcohol limit....unknown to me.....

Just saw this on another site.

The legal blood-alcohol limit in Thailand is 0.5 grams of alcohol per litre of blood. However, for drivers that have held their licence for less than five years the limit is 0.2 grams per litre of blood. Drivers caught over the legal limit are heavily fined and may be imprisoned or required to do community service. The government is trying to reduce drink driving and breath testing stops are becoming more common.
On average 7.5 people are killed for every 10,000 vehicles on Thailand's roads, amounting to around 14,000 deaths annually in a typical year. National holidays are when drink driving is at its highest, with as many as 600 deaths during the three-day "Songkran" festival. Drivers should take extra care at these times.

Driving in Thailand & Rules of the Road - AngloINFO Bangkok (Thailand)

While the above link is not bad there is some glaring misunderstandings.

Blue on white is indeed a private vehicle vans but it is used commercially eg. mini bus for schools or inter town travel for paying customers.

Now Green on white there's a lot of BS regarding these plates going around.
Here is the facts. They are for private pickups, Yes. What is different is what goes along with them. Any private pickup can get these plates. They allow for almost half the tax tariff of black on white. They are concidered a truck and with this the truck laws come in to being for the driver. You must always keep left on a highway, must keep below 90 kph, you are banned on some expressways/tollways. (although you will see them) Their intended purpose was to delineate the use of the vehicle eg farm/rural use.

I got the above info from the guys at the road transport department Surin this year.

Now having said all that. You can throw it out if you like, because remember the great number plate shortage, they issued them to stop gap the normal ones for a while. Just to confuse the whole issue.

Green on white are for two door pick ups. Black on white four door pick up truck.

This may of been the case at one stage but not anymore. It may be crazy to suggest this, but what would that achieve? This is why I asked the question in the first place at L.T.D.

Maybe a two door pickup is not considered a car but a truck and a four door is.

Why would they give me such an elaborate answer if it was that easy. But again This is Thailand and anything is possible from one day to the next.

This may of been the case at one stage but not anymore. It may be crazy to suggest this, but what would that achieve? This is why I asked the question in the first place at L.T.D.

Maybe a two door pickup is not considered a car but a truck and a four door is.

Why would they give me such an elaborate answer if it was that easy. But again This is Thailand and anything is possible from one day to the next.

You never see a 4 door white green on white or a 2 door with black on white.

Last edited:
I'm confused (what's new!) Something for me to study during the 7-hour drive north tomorrow. A "four door white green on white" was just too much for my brain!

I'm confused (what's new!) Something for me to study during the 7-hour drive north tomorrow. A "four door white green on white" was just too much for my brain!

Too much for most people Bill! As Mr Rice pointed out, if you have green on white number plates, you must always keep left on a highway, and below 90 kph. And to think I thought that applied to everyone.

Safe driving and may the Force be with you.

I guess I should start by actually checking the colours the number plates on the mighty Hyundai Sportswagon. Might give me a clue as to correct speed and lane in which to drive!

Back