O-A Visa Extension

@EnglishAlan Personally I believe they took advantage of you. (jimho)

Unfortunately in order to receive a one-year extension you must have at least one year of validity left in your current foreign passport.
Technically the worst outcome in your specific scenario is that IMM could've turned you around and flatly refused an extension back in January. Hence look at the bright side. ;-)

Edit: added 'back in January' for clarity

Note: when I updated with Edit it created a new post. I will delete the former.

They will not do your next 90 day unless all the stamps from your old passport have been added to your new passport. Take your old passport with you when you do your next 90. I had to do 2 trips to Kap choeng because all the stamps had not been added to the new passport.

They will not do your next 90 day unless all the stamps from your old passport have been added to your new passport. Take your old passport with you when you do your next 90. I had to do 2 trips to Kap choeng because all the stamps had not been added to the new passport.

I was doing my 90 day reports on-line at the time so I didn't bother having the information transferred until I was due to apply for my next extension. Then, of course, I was stuck with the gremlin and couldn't report on line again until they launched the new software.

Now, everything is hunky dory again. Or am I assuming too much?

Benson-Thanks for post-The Thai girl who does the paper work,said we will transfer all the Thai stamps in my old PP into the new PP. I stated that the Top IO had said in Jan,
that they would t/fr the stamp from 11/Jan into my new PP. I also stated if you t/fr all the stamps,you will fill up quite abit of my new PP.

Benson-Thanks for post-The Thai girl who does the paper work,said we will transfer all the Thai stamps in my old PP into the new PP. I stated that the Top IO had said in Jan,
that they would t/fr the stamp from 11/Jan into my new PP. I also stated if you t/fr all the stamps,you will fill up quite abit of my new PP.
They don't transfer all the stamps - just a confirmation that you have what is necessary. My last transfer was four stamps but all on one page.

Coffee thanks for your input.- Think I made a big mistake by not renewing my PP last yr but it wasn t due to expire until 21/06/22 & only half full.
Dealt with KC from Jan 2015 & no problems but now it s different.
When I extended my Retirement Exstensn in Jan,although I had everything required ,they made a big thing about "where s your wife" & even t/phd her. I pointed out it s a
retirement issue & not marriage issue ,you have her signed papers + not really necessary for her to come here at the same time

It is my understanding that an extension of stay can only be for 1 year if the passport is valid until the projected expiry date. If the passport has less that a year when an extension is applied for, then the extension will also be for less that 1 year.
Proffering the new passport mid term of the extension will not get you the extension for 1 year. It is necessary, as the IO advised, to go through the whole process once again when the previous extension expires. Them's the rules! No foul play

It is my understanding that an extension of stay can only be for 1 year if the passport is valid until the projected expiry date. If the passport has less that a year when an extension is applied for, then the extension will also be for less that 1 year.
Proffering the new passport mid term of the extension will not get you the extension for 1 year. It is necessary, as the IO advised, to go through the whole process once again when the previous extension expires. Them's the rules! No foul play

As you may remember Nick, I obtained my new passport in November 2019 but I didn't have the details transferred from the expired passport until the following May. Of course I had to carry both passports during the intervening period and I would not have been permitted to leave the country. But other than that, there was no problems.

They don't transfer all the stamps - just a confirmation that you have what is necessary. My last transfer was four stamps but all on one page.

As an aside, Dutch Thomas "lost" his passport many years ago (I believe one of his wives set fire to it) and he managed to obtain a temporary one from the Dutch embassy. It only had five pages and by the time Thai immigration had finished writing the story in it, there was only one page left!

Back