Overcrowded classrooms in Northeast affecting education, report shows

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
Overcrowded classrooms in Northeast affecting education, report shows
SUPINDA NA MAHACHAI
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Classrooms in the Northeast are seriously overcrowded, thus affecting the quality of education, a survey carried out by Mahasarakham University has found.

Education faculty dean Dr Prawit Erawan said yesterday that a recent survey of 300 schools in the Northeast found that the Education Ministry's policy of increasing student numbers per classroom affected the quality of lessons, leaving both students and teachers stressed out.

A report based on the survey, which urges the ministry to limit the number of students per classroom to no more than 35, says some large schools were found to have 50 students per classroom.

Teachers interviewed for the study said that the large number of students in their classes meant they were unable to arrange proper learning activities beyond lecturing. Teachers also suggested the appropriate number should be no more than 35 students per classroom.

An analysis of the report, Prawit said, showed that the class-size policy could lead to problems with patronage through student placement. He cited a number of large schools with as many as 3,000 to 6,000 students, and compared them with mid-sized and small schools, which lacked adequate numbers of students, because most parents aimed to get their children into larger schools.

As the Education Ministry provided a per-head subsidy, this was also leading to bigger schools receiving a larger share of the educational budget, which could in time widen the educational gap.

Prawit urged the ministry to keep student numbers at no more than 35 per classroom, so that large schools would not "hoard" students. He said this would reduce the problem of patronage and result in more effective educational management.

I call my eldest daughter 'Valentino Rossi' because she is No.46 on the class roll call. I have to agree that the larger class sizes are detrimental to both children and teachers alike. I would guess that the brighter children get more attention than those not so gifted. That said, she is receiving a better education in her new school (Anubarn Surin) than she received in her previous private school with a much smaller class size. All credit to the teaching staff, and the Principal, for doing such a good job.

where students sit can make a difference

I call my eldest daughter 'Valentino Rossi' because she is No.46 on the class roll call. I have to agree that the larger class sizes are detrimental to both children and teachers alike. I would guess that the brighter children get more attention than those not so gifted. That said, she is receiving a better education in her new school (Anubarn Surin) than she received in her previous private school with a much smaller class size. All credit to the teaching staff, and the Principal, for doing such a good job.

Greetings Nomad.
As you have a gift for comprehending humour ; where in the classroom is the location of your Rossi's (# 46) desk - in or near the front of the class (usually closest to the chalkboard) or towards the rear of the classroom ?

The location of a student's seat (desk) can amply provide that student's attitude and attention along with attention from the teacher particularly within the context of Isaan Thai Prathon ('elementary') schools whether Government or Private. IMHO.

Coffee, you must remember that Valentino only started / joined in Year 2, whereas all the other children in the class were there the year before and quite possibly the two years before that in Kindergarten. That is why as the last child to join the class she carries the No. 46 - Valentino Rossi - MotoGP rider and multiple World Champion par excellent. Also, as possibly the tallest child in her class, and also the oldest, she has her desk at the back of the class. The oldest? Certainly! She was born at 45 minutes past midnight on 17th May. As you well know the Thai School Year starts on 16 May. Had she been born before midnight on 16th May then she would have been the youngest in her class - such is fate. However, I suspects she spends much of the day at the front of the class with the microphone in-hand as she is also the Head Girl for the Integrated English Programme. In the relatively short time she has been there she has become a firm favorite with many of her classmates and teachers alike. She is doing very well, thank you.

After kindergarden, there are anubarns 1,2 and 3. Entry as Nomad says is dependent upon age.

Both my kids did only 2 of the 3 years of anubarn, as the school decided that despite their age they were ready for higher education. Consequently they are both the youngest in their year groups. This was a private school in Prakhonchai - not sure whether a government run school can do the same.

Some of that readiness for higher education would be hereditary, Nick. Always thought the lovely Dow looked super-intelligent!

Nick, absolutely not! In fact, the School's Principal or Director went to some pain to stress that point at the parents new arrivals meeting. He pointed out for all to hear that two children, both well connected, and both born just after midnight on 17th May would not be assigned to a year higher than their age. By pointing out the two children in question he was telling everyone else not to bother him as they had no chance whatsoever. Clearly, it must be a big problem in Thailand that many parents think their child should be in a higher class than their age.

Interestingly, the reverse is true in the West. There have been a number of articles this past year that support the view that the older child in class achieves far more than the youngest and this manifests itself throughout their life. I think the Americans call them Red Coat children - not sure why. In the UK (and America) many parents are actively planning the birth of their child to ensure that they arrive after the beginning of the new school year, e.g. after 1st September (UK). Those born immediately before the start of the new school year are the youngest in their class and can be up to a year younger than the oldest. All because of an arbitrary date - the start of the school year.

In fact, at her previous private school my daughter was accepted into the year above her age. Both my wife and I questioned the wisdom of doing this but decided that it would be okay. In hindsight, this was a mistake. While my daughter did well I would only assess/put her in the top 30% of the class. She was competing with children up to a year older than herself. Now that she is in the proper year for her age, and the oldest in her class, she certainly appears to be doing far better. Next week is the end of term exams, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I am quite sure she will be better placed than she has been previously. I wait with baited breath to see her results.

Nomad, as a former school Principal, I can assure you that all you have written above is applicable anywhere in the world. Good post.

Back