Overhanging Branches

Yorky

Fullritis Member
I learnt a little more about Thai law and the difference from UK law today. If a neighbour's trees are overhanging your property and you wish to have them cut back/removed, you pay. If your trees are overhanging your neighbour's property and they want them cut back/removed, you pay.

Quite simple really!

I learnt a little more about Thai law and the difference from UK law today. If a neighbour's trees are overhanging your property and you wish to have them cut back/removed, you pay. If your trees are overhanging your neighbour's property and they want them cut back/removed, you pay.

Quite simple really!

OR the neighbor gives you permission to cut it down and you get to make charcoal and collect 12 bags at retail of 250 baht a bag. Simple. Profit of 3000 baht.Chokdee5

I cut down overhanging branches and placed them back in neighbours garden. Seemed fair to me

My neighbour was invited to chop my bamboo tree down 12 years ago, as he wanted the bamboo. He took the bamboo, but left all the leaves and branches etc, and refused to clean up.

They were all in his garden next morning.

He has never spoken to me since!

So I told my neighbour your trees are a bloody nuisance filling my gutters and my drive with leaves. If you don't chop them down I will.

attachment.php

Much to his credit he did!

attachment.php

I have roofing and gutters running along most of my boundry - nearly 20 out of 30 meters. When I knew I had a problem with the gutters filling with leaves I fashioned gutter guards with green plastic fencing rolled up to fill up the gap between the gutter and the roofing tiles. The holes in the plastic fencing allow the water to drain easily but keeps the leaves out. Even though I say it myself it was one of my more successful DIY jobs from planning to execution.

Since then he has chopped the trees down again, mainly because the leaves have blocked his gutters too. Now when it rains there is a big waterfall coming down from his gutter (main house) where the gutter is blocked and broken, bent downwards with the weight of all the leaves. Every time it rained the waterfall skipped over the garden fence and flooded my side of the house big time. I put up a large sheet of rigid plastic (2 x 1.2 meters) to deflect the waterfall from my side of the fence to his side. Now when it rains the water falls into his side of the fence and not mine. I suspect the water is several inches deep along the side of his house, maybe causing flooding in his new kitchen extension. I don't feel bad about it because I did discuss the problem with him and told him that he needed to fix his gutter. He didn't, hence my quick fix to divert the flow away from my house.

Even though he chopped his trees for a second time last month they are very fast growing and they already have a large canopy of green leaves. With the dry season rapidly approaching the leaves will soon become autumnal and start falling onto my drive below again! Last year I was forever sweeping the leaves and bagging them for disposal. My next DIY project is to put up some green shading material just below my gutters and down to the dividing 2 m high fence. This should minimise the amount of leaves falling on my side of the fence and reduce my cleaning task considerably.

Attachments

• Trees 001.jpg
    Trees 001.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Trees 003.jpg
    Trees 003.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
So I told my neighbour your trees are a bloody nuisance filling my gutters and my drive with leaves. If you don't chop them down I will.

Looks like the double image posting problem solving has been relegated to the back burner.

Unfortunately, neither of my immediate neighbours are in residence at the present time.

Yorky, in all fairness I do get on quite well with my neighbours and we do talk about any issues that may affect entente cordiale between us. Since moving in three years ago we have had a number of problems that needed to be resolved. Such as the sighting of overhanging satellite dishes (in my air space), dogs coming over the wall into my garden to do their business at night, loss of light through tall trees, falling leaves and, more recently, waterfalls from broken gutters. The only difference is that I am prepared to take action to resolve these problems whereas on the other side of the fence Thainess sets in and nothing happens fast. It would be nice to have cooperative and joint efforts to resolve these problems to everyone's mutual satisfaction. However, when this fails I am quite prepared to declare UDI and resolve these issues by myself and with an unilateral solution.

Yorky, in all fairness I do get on quite well with my neighbours and we do talk about any issues that may affect entente cordiale between us.

Our circumstances appear to be different.

To my right (south):

rright.jpg

To my left (north):

left.jpg

"I talk to the trees; that's why they put me away!"

Attachments

• right.jpg
    right.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 14
I don't have any near neighbours! No problems on that front p4rtyHaving lived like this for 13 years, I could not live in an development like Nomad.

We have to cope with the jungle invading the half-built ex-American monument next door. Not sure if it is the bank or the former mother-in-law who sends slow-motion gardeners from time to time.

I don't have any near neighbours! No problems on that front p4rtyHaving lived like this for 13 years, I could not live in an development like Nomad.

My preference too Adam, but SWMBO prefers it this way. That said, it does have its advantages living in town, especially when you have two young daughters to school and look after. Living in this one-horse street means there are many friends within shouting distance for my daughters to play with at weekends and after school.

I think I have the best of both worlds living in a village. Only 3kms from Prakhonchai (with 2/3 good eateries). yet not surrounded and enclosed as on an estate. Virtually no traffic as at the end of the village with nowhere much to go thereafter. I have close on 1.5rai of land - grassed (and don't I know it having just finished cutting half). What better excuse for a beer or 3.And as Nomad says there are many friends for my children to play with in close proximity.

Don't get me wrong, there are many disadvantages to where I live.

An hour from the nearest decent hospital (Prakhonchai hospital is not the best).
Far from decent schools, the missus wants to drive an hour each way for the kids to go to school in Surin.

But overall the positives outweigh the negatives.

Don't get me wrong, there are many disadvantages to where I live.

An hour from the nearest decent hospital (Prakhonchai hospital is not the best).
Far from decent schools, the missus wants to drive an hour each way for the kids to go to school in Surin.

But overall the positives outweigh the negatives.

...and you probably don't miss being near the sea, as many of us do?

I only miss the sea if I am away from it for more than a month! The plan when I retire is to buy a bit of land near the sea and make a small house, so if we fancy a trip away we have an option. But generally Bill you are right!!!

I think I have the best of both worlds living in a village. Only 3kms from Prakhonchai (with 2/3 good eateries). yet not surrounded and enclosed as on an estate. Virtually no traffic as at the end of the village with nowhere much to go thereafter. I have close on 1.5rai of land - grassed (and don't I know it having just finished cutting half). What better excuse for a beer or 3.And as Nomad says there are many friends for my children to play with in close proximity.

Time for one of these 'me thinks'.

c4.jpg

They have a selction in Home Pro Surin - cost in the order of 60 to 70K.

...and you probably don't miss being near the sea, as many of us do?

I was brought up on the coast in the south of England. I used to miss not being by the sea and always dreamed of living by the sea again. However, after being eaten alive by sand flies on the beach in Hua Hin I have changed my mind. The local clinic called me the 'sticking plaster man'. I was covered in bites that used to fester and leave open sores for months at a time. I am now much safer and comfortable living in Isaan. Saves a fortune in sticking plasters too.

Back