Overhanging Branches

Don't get me wrong, there are many disadvantages to where I live.

An hour from the nearest decent hospital (Prakhonchai hospital is not the best).
Far from decent schools, the missus wants to drive an hour each way for the kids to go to school in Surin.

But overall the positives outweigh the negatives.

Couldn't agree more. Many bad reports including my own experience some years ago.

I have only seen 2, and they were more expensive that you quote

I will check and let you know the actual prices later today.

Oooops! I could have sworn the price I saw a month or so ago was a lot lower than the price I saw today. Today's sale price is marked down to 89,990 and 139,990 for the 2 ride-on models inside Homepro. That said, I did price them about 4 years ago in the emporium of a shop near the railway crossing in town. At that time he had one model that was selling for 70K. I bought my walk behind powered model for about 12K which was a good price too. Most shops were selling similar for about 18K. My machine is still going strong today although I should give it a service before too long.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, there are many disadvantages to where I live.

An hour from the nearest decent hospital (Prakhonchai hospital is not the best).
Far from decent schools, the missus wants to drive an hour each way for the kids to go to school in Surin.

But overall the positives outweigh the negatives.

I do not know how many children you have or their ages so I will generalise. Lets say you have 2 and they are 3 or 4 years apart. Its bad enough for me with my 2 daughters, aged 6 and 10, both going to the same school and we only live 3 kilometers away. Sometimes we are up and down to school 3 or 4 times a day, it has been more. Then you get a call and one child is in the sick room, or has forogotten their homework - not good. Back to school again to pick her up or take the books and return at 16.30 or so to pick up the other. Not to mention the dreaded extra learning or extra-curricular activities after school hours and at weekends. Furthermore, the traffic around the major schools in the morning and evenings is akin to self-flagellation - its terrible - and parking is virtually impossible unless you arrive very early or very late. I certainly would not want to have an hours drive each way to get my kids to school. Somedays you would find yourself on the road all day long coming and going. Quite honestly, if you want to school your children in Surin, always assuming the school would accept them, you would be better off renting a house in town for the duration - say the next 14 years!

I was brought up on the coast in the south of England. I used to miss not being by the sea and always dreamed of living by the sea again. However, after being eaten alive by sand flies on the beach in Hua Hin I have changed my mind. The local clinic called me the 'sticking plaster man'. I was covered in bites that used to fester and leave open sores for months at a time. I am now much safer and comfortable living in Isaan. Saves a fortune in sticking plasters too.

Now if you lived next to a mangrove swamp for 30 years you become immune apart from a mild itching. You never scratch. You scratched didn't you NM.

Ferret can attest to this as well. Believe it or not the best repellent for sand flies is a rub of olive oil on your skin. They don't like to land on it.

Now if you lived next to a mangrove swamp for 30 years you become immune apart from a mild itching. You never scratch. You scratched didn't you NM.

Ferret can attest to this as well. Believe it or not the best repellent for sand flies is a rub of olive oil on your skin. They don't like to land on it.

No, I did not scratch them. They just errupted with pus and then went from bad to worse. I think I had an allergic reaction to them because SWMBO didn't even notice them, no lumps and no bumps and sitting on the sand next to me.

Back