Panic in Surin! Buffaloes dead from rabies - and villagers eat the meat!

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
Panic in Surin! Buffaloes dead from rabies - and villagers eat the meat!

Pictures (2): Manager online

Four buffaloes have died from rabies in the same district of Surin in the north east of Thailand.

And the authorities are now trying to trace about 200 people who have eaten the animals.

There are fears they could contract the disease through ingesting the meat.

The case came to light in Kapcherng district when a letter was issued by the district chief Sutthirot Charoenthansak and the local mayor warning people not to eat cow and buffalo meat from animals that died mysteriously.

Manager picked up on the story and discovered that four animals have died from rabies.

One was bitten by dogs three months ago and died on Saturday. Three other cases were subsequently found in two villages.

So far more than 100 people have been vaccinated but about 100 others who ingested the meat are being sought as panic grips the region.

Thaivisa notes that all mammals can contract rabies. Bats are the only mammals that don't show symptoms.

Source: Manager Online

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-14

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topi...-dead-from-rabies-and-villagers-eat-the-meat/

Just to let you guys know..

This is Kap Choeng amphur. The location is a sort ways from the Department of Livestock office and Surin Imigration ( 1km). I have been Informed that the Department of Livestock which has an office across from the Kap Choeng hospital have as of yesterday removed all three buffalo heads for an autopsy and the Kap Choeng hospital has set up an mobile clinic for rabies vaccination for over 200 people.

What's the panic all about? I thought you lot were all crazy anyway.

Can you get rabies from eating the meat of a rabid animal?

Apparently yes, though in both reported patients, transmission was presumed through handling and eating infected brain matter.

Better track down those 100 other people that ate the infected meat and get them vaccinated too. Can't be too careful.

What's the panic all about? I thought you lot were all crazy anyway.

Can you get rabies from eating the meat of a rabid animal?

Apparently yes, though in both reported patients, transmission was presumed through handling and eating infected brain matter.

Better track down those 100 other people that ate the infected meat and get them vaccinated too. Can't be too careful.

This has zero to do with CRU;) and to my knowledge no one in the project is affected by the cray dog bits.:rolleyes: The vets that are involved are the same guys that take care of CRU and btw it is now over 450 head.:D

Just to let you guys know..

This is Kap Choeng amphur. The location is a sort ways from the Department of Livestock office and Surin Imigration ( 1km). I have been Informed that the Department of Livestock which has an office across from the Kap Choeng hospital have as of yesterday removed all three buffalo heads for an autopsy and the Kap Choeng hospital has set up an mobile clinic for rabies vaccination for over 200 people.

GL, as it has been over two months - what were the findings on: (1) number of people affected
(2) number of cattle potentially infected

GL, as it has been over two months - what were the findings on: (1) number of people affected
(2) number of cattle potentially infected

Can not report as all evidence has been consumed.:yum::yum::yum::D

Last edited:
Can not report as all evidence has been consumed.:yum::yum::yum::D

Very clever.

I figured with CRU in full swing information could be requested and possibly disseminated from communication with the Livestock Cooperative Breeding & Support Centre of Surin (or whatever the name is).

Additionally veterinarians (not vegetarians) are into that kind of reporting detail.

Very clever.

I figured with CRU in full swing information could be requested and possibly disseminated from communication with the Livestock Cooperative Breeding & Support Centre of Surin (or whatever the name is).

Additionally veterinarians (not vegetarians) are into that kind of reporting detail.

The boss just informed me that there has been no further news either by the local drums or the DLD and zip zap zero as for imposing any registration on pets. ALL local dogs including ours have been given the crazy dog shoot and all have collars with an id from the DLD.

Back