Paper facing to Gypsum/plasterboard has come away

Prakhonchai Nick

You chose a custom title
The paper cover in parts has peeled away. Not wet Just leaving flaky plaster. I need some form of sealant so that I can paint over. Don't want to replace large sections of plasterboard. Any ideas/suggestions?

The paper cover in parts has peeled away. Not wet Just leaving flaky plaster. I need some form of sealant so that I can paint over. Don't want to replace large sections of plasterboard. Any ideas/suggestions?
Cheap easy fix.......go to any store and buy a tub of TOA white glue add a fair amount with water , not too much. apply with a roller or brush..

It ls latex based, ideal as a sealer on walls , also helps concrete mix from cracking when mixed in.

Cheap easy fix.......go to any store and buy a tub of TOA white glue add a fair amount with water , not too much. apply with a roller or brush..

It ls latex based, ideal as a sealer on walls , also helps concrete mix from cracking when mixed in.
I have two problems with some ceilings at home. A leak in an upstairs bathroom has caused damage to the living room ceiling. That ceiling now has blisters in the material covering the plasterboard, and stains on the paint. The total area involved is only 1M x 10CM and I don't want to replace the plasterboard if the TOA might fix it. I guess that I would need to remove the blistered material, then stabilise the board above it with the diluted TOA before skimming it smooth and repainting it.

The bathroom in question has reasonable ventilation (a 1M x 1M window that is always left open.) Nevertheless, the ceiling has a powdery mould for the second time. I removed the mould first time around and used a mould preventing liquid to cover it. As the mould has returned, I guess that I need to remove the mould again - and maybe use the same TOA to seal the surface after a further coat of mould inhibitor??? Then paint the ceiling with an anti-fungal paint.

Does anyone have an opinion please?

I have two problems with some ceilings at home. A leak in an upstairs bathroom has caused damage to the living room ceiling. That ceiling now has blisters in the material covering the plasterboard, and stains on the paint. The total area involved is only 1M x 10CM and I don't want to replace the plasterboard if the TOA might fix it. I guess that I would need to remove the blistered material, then stabilise the board above it with the diluted TOA before skimming it smooth and repainting it.

The bathroom in question has reasonable ventilation (a 1M x 1M window that is always left open.) Nevertheless, the ceiling has a powdery mould for the second time. I removed the mould first time around and used a mould preventing liquid to cover it. As the mould has returned, I guess that I need to remove the mould again - and maybe use the same TOA to seal the surface after a further coat of mould inhibitor??? Then paint the ceiling with an anti-fungal paint.

Does anyone have an opinion please?
Clean/scrape the fungus/powder off thoroughly. Wash it to rid any powder a couple times and let dry. Use an antifungal water base semi-gloss latex for the paint. Easier to clean off occasionally, and I find, though it costs a bit more baht, it lasts much longer and resists bubbling and turning to powder like many ceiling paints do. Two coats. I've been painting interiors and exteriors since I was 10 yro under the tutelage of my Dad, who was very picky. Did it professionally as a side gig for many years for extra cash. Used to do wallpapering as well, the old way. :)

Check the cement ceiling in our restaurant, done with a latex semi-gloss and no problems at all for the past 7 years. (Yeah, we did it in a sky blue, but white is just as good, just color.)

Last edited:
Don't buy KILZ, it is not your problem, Kilz is to hide stains that can bleed thru latex paint. Water stain, tobacco smoke residue kitchen residue childrens crayons etc . It is oil based very smelly and expensive. If the paper is gone and you have exposed gypsum just paint with a watery primer. That will soak into the gypsum make it hard, when dry paint with the paint top coat you prefer.
PS. gypsum does not flake its akin to chalk it just goes to powder.

Last edited:
Back