PayPal

nomad97

Resident Geek
I have been with PayPay for a couple of years and use them for purchases I make over the Internet. I have found them to be very efficient and easy to use. However, prior to this morning I had never put their safeguards to the test. I have now but first the background to the story:

On Saturday evening, I paid a 1 month subscription to a company providing an Internet VPN service. This subscription would be automatically renewed every month. Paypal executed the payment very quickly and provided their customary confirmation by email. The company I paid my subscription to should have sent me a user name and password by return. I waited 15 minutes but still no email. I submitted a 'ticket' at the VPN website to say account not activated. I received an email from them very promptly to say they were busy and there may be a delay. Clearly it was an automated message. I waited a further hour and submitted another 'ticket'. I receievd the same "we are busy" reply a few moments later. The following morning, Sunday, I had still not received my activation message so I wrote to them and told them nothing received, please cancel my subscription and refund my money. I received an email from a named indivudual in response saying the activation email had been sent. So far, three replies from said company but still not activation message. Who is kidding who? I waited a further hour and replied to the named individual no activation message received, please cancel my account. Nothing heard until now.

This morning I contacted Paypal and cancelled the automatic renewal of my subscription to the VPN company. I received instant confirmation from PayPal that the renewal had been cancelled. A few minutes later I also received an email to confirm the renewal had been cancelled. I checked my emails again 5 minutes later and found a second email from Paypal. Much to my surprise they informed me that a full refund was in process of payment from the VPN company with the comment "Please allow 30 days for this to be credited to your account".

What can I say? Impressive and so quickly resolved too. I am very happy I use Paypal to buy items and services on the Internet. There is a certain kind of peace of mind that there is recourse when all does not work out as planned.

It has always fascinated me that when you pay for something over the internet, the amount is deducted from your account immediately. However, a refund takes up to 30 days. (Lazada is the same).

It has always fascinated me that when you pay for something over the internet, the amount is deducted from your account immediately. However, a refund takes up to 30 days. (Lazada is the same).

With interest rates as they are (+/- 0%) I don't suppose it's that important. However, being a creature of habit, I still schedule my bank internet bill payments on the date that is specified on the bill.

It's likely my upbringing.

With interest rates as they are (+/- 0%) I don't suppose it's that important. However, being a creature of habit, I still schedule my bank internet bill payments on the date that is specified on the bill.

It's likely my upbringing.
I pay annually in advance and get an 8% discount. :)/ Plus a present... 3 years ago a Teddy bear. 2 -years ago 4 glasses,and last year....... an overnight travelling bag (good quality)

My Paypal account is linked to a UK credit card.

No issues except for paying in foreign currency (which I won't do again!) and the rates are crap.

I have an account but have only used it twice, once to send and the second time to receive. The last time I used it was 3 years back. I'm like Yorky , no need for it.

I don't have a "Paypal" account.

Up to now I have not needed one.
The account is free. Somehow, I don't see Bangkok Bank sorting out a problem like I had. It was only 300 baht or so, no big deal, but its the principle that matters.

You are correct Nomad. Bkk Bank are crap/I have been trying to claim over 100,000baht from them for well over a month, but they will not address the problem. next step is the bank of Thailand, followed by the Ombudsman.

I tried this paypal thing shortly after joining the Armed Forces, still waiting for my money back

Back