Personal Accident

nomad97

Resident Geek
On the 7th January 2021, while preparing to repair the guttering on my house, I stood on a strong wooden chair to reach a screw. Unfortunately, the chair collapsed and seriously damaged my left leg. The photo shows the leg after being sewn back together by the doctor at Ruamphet, it was not a pretty sight.

20210109_111038.jpg

Some 15 days later, the doctor removed the stitches. Unfortunately, he removed them too early and the wound opened up.

20210210_193855.jpg

Some 7 months later, I am pleased to say, the wound has nearly healed. At least I no longer need to clean and dress the wound every day.

20210808_153020.jpg

The moral of the story, do not stand on wooden chairs, use a step ladder instead.

On the 7th January 2021, while preparing to repair the guttering on my house, I stood on a strong wooden chair to reach a screw. Unfortunately, the chair collapsed and seriously damaged my left leg. The photo shows the leg after being sewn back together by the doctor at Ruamphet, it was not a pretty sight.

View attachment 42192

Some 15 days later, the doctor removed the stitches. Unfortunately, he removed them too early and the wound opened up.

View attachment 42193

Some 7 months later, I am pleased to say, the wound has nearly healed. At least I no longer need to clean and dress the wound every day.

View attachment 42195

The moral of the story, do not stand on wooden chairs, use a step ladder instead.
Was the screw worth it? :grinning:

It was an expensive screw, that is for sure. Cost me a small fortune.
My father 86 years old fell off a ladder while cleaning the eves trough last year and broke his hip. My mother didn't know he was doing it and didn't notice he wasn't about until Coronation Street came on tv and went to find him so they could enjoy their daily ritual together. He is a tough old bugger and hallucinates on painkillers which made his recovery unpleasant for both of them.

My leg wound from an infected spider bite will be a year old the end of this month. Weekly bioplasma treatment and daily dressing changes have lost their novelty and I am pleased to say the hole that was once the size of a ten baht coin is now 1/2 baht sized.
It sucks balls getting older but beats the alternative of not getting older. Glad you have healed nicely nomad97

Two acquaintances here, if not close friends, neither of whom were of any great age, have died in the last 36 months.

The first, a healthy smart man with everything to live for fell down his stairs and banged his head on something hard. He died soon afterwards.

The second, older and with some medical history, fell in his home on the Monday and was taken to hospital where he died on the Friday.

Neither of them was doing anything extreme or dangerous at the time of their accidents. Imagine how much more likely they would have been to suffer ill-fate if they had been doing something unnecessary.

There's a lesson there for us all.

Take care people.

Neither of them was doing anything extreme or dangerous at the time of their accidents. Imagine how much more likely they would have been to suffer ill-fate if they had been doing something unnecessary.

My wife does all the "dangerous" tasks that are unecessary. For the "dangerous" tasks that are necessary, I employ others.

I limit my tasks to a little cooking and opening and closing the fridge.

On the 7th January 2021, while preparing to repair the guttering on my house, I stood on a strong wooden chair to reach a screw.

Obviously it wasn't!

I now have two stepladders (1.5 and 2.5 metres) which are available for the people I employ to reach inaccessible screws (or anything else which I consider is inaccessible).

Hell of a way to bring the New Year in, maybe your angels watching over you were on a coffee break or something, When they got back looks like they are on the job again.... Delighted nomads97 has to put this one behind him. " Are these wake up calls we are not immortal necessary ???. "seems I'm reminded every day by various parts of my body "

Back