Phra Phuttabat - Saraburi Province - Thailand

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
Wat Phra Buddhabat (Phuttabat): Many centuries ago a Ceylonese ruler claimed that some monks had discovered a footprint of the Buddha in stone in Ceylon. He bragged about this far and wide and made a very big deal over this footprint of Buddha being found in Ceylon. They were blessed he thought. Hearing of this from some Thai monks who had gone to Ceylon on a pilgrimage the Thai king of the time thought this was pretty darn cool and he was a bit jealous that this had been found in Ceylon. The Thai monks were told by the Ceylonese monks that one of the Lord Buddha's footprints might be found in Thailand as well. Being good Buddhists the king (King Song Tham 1610-1628) thought that Buddha must have left a footprint or two in Thailand (Siam). So he sent out an edict throughout the land for his own monks and people to be on the lookout for a similar Buddha footprint, and even offered a reward to whomever found such a holy relic. After a while some hunters ran across something they thought was maybe a Buddha footprint and won the reward and gave Siam their own footprint of the Buddha to brag about and revere. And so a temple was built to house this holy relic. The hill on which the footprint was found was renamed Mount Suwan Banphot or Mount Satjaphan Khiri. The temple is named Phra Phutthabat (also spelt as Buddhabat), and I visited it recently just outside the city of Saraburi in the mountains north of Bangkok.
39576120.jpg
A colorful demon guarding the entrance to Phra Putthabat

You enter Phra Phutthabat from highway 1 heading northwest of Saraburi. There is a dirt parking lot in front of the temple area. As soon as you pull into the parking lot you are awestruck by the size of the temple and the beauty of the structures surrounding it. The landscaping is gorgeous and the grounds clean and well maintained.
42612974.jpg
The main temple housing the Buddha's footprint.

The first thing that strikes you is the sheer size of the Phra Putthabat temple. The colors are overwhelming and the intricacy of the tiling and and mosiacs are very pleasing to view. You feel at peace and the mood of the temple is soothing. You notice a tinkling sound in the air and incense wafts about on zephyrs cooled by the mountainous altitude. This is a holy place for the Buddhists, and it can be felt.
e73841c6.jpg
A first view as you approach the temple from the stairs.
088518b3.jpg
The sheer size of the temple is stunning.
2ba659b0.jpg
The scroll-work and mosiacs are beautiful. Here is a shot over one of the temple doorways. The colors are breathtaking.
1174bea3.jpg
I soon found the source of the tinkling bells. These brass bells adorn the edges of the roofs of the temple and put forth a most relaxing sound as the breezes tickle their clappers and set them into motion. Notice the heads of the columns supporting the roof and the tiles adorning the ceiling itself.
ba5b0ee2.jpg
Here is a good shot of the intricate work on the columns and exterior of the temple walls. The hours of work that must have gone into making this place is mind-boggling.
f2d7ae15.jpg
Here is the Buddha's Footprint itself, which is housed inside the main temple. It was hard to see as the Thais believe placing money on the footprint will bring them good fortune and good luck. I stayed a bit longer than my family and an old woman came over with a small broom and swept the money to the side so I could get a good look at the thing. It looked like nothing more than a cracked rock, possibly old volcanic lava that had cooled and cracked into some vague shape that might be interpreted by someone with enough faith or maybe looking for a nice reward to believe this could possibly be taken for a footprint. Faith makes people see things I don't see. It was a cracked rock to my eyes, but then I'm not religious nor a Buddhist. It was interesting to see though what all the hoopala is about. The gold you see lining the vault that the footprint is in is a gold foil one can purchase and press on the walls of the interior for good luck. It is used in many temples and you will see this gold foil pressed on many a Buddha statue around the country.
03a3081b.jpg
This is an interior roof above the Buddha's Footprint. It was striking, as well as the ceiling above.
537ce655.jpg
While inside the temple area there is a smaller altar where the Buddhists kneel and pray and offer incense, a small yellow beeswax candle, and a pink lotus bulb. Once you finish these offerings and prayers you descend these stairs and turn to the right to ring the lucky bells of the temple.
97cf8c6b.jpg
A decent shot of the temple bells. Notice the carved sticks piled at the far end. You use these to strike all the bells as you walk by to ring yourself good luck and send your prayers to heaven.
6766c1d1.jpg
Here my daughter and a nephew ring the temple bells.
488e88cb.jpg
The Thais are nothing if not enthusiastic capitalists. To enter and exit the temple you must first run the gauntlet of the commercial gods. There is much food and wares to buy here, as in most tourist areas and temples and ruins throughout the country. They are smart in their placement of these stalls and shops. The Thais are actually the biggest visitors to these Buddhist temples. Foreigners make up a small part of the visitors to these places really.
f1e4a281.jpg
Anyone need a basket?
c80d440a.jpg
How about some knives, swords, machetes, or rice sickles?
91e1e003.jpg
And, how about some fresh cooked Mangda bugs? You must be hungry after reading this article. These bugs are actually farm raised just like the shrimp/prawns here. They raise them in saline ponds. The bugs look like huge cockroaches, but are actually a saltwater type of beetle. I hear they taste very sour and am told they are an acquired taste. I wouldn't know, as I'll be damned if I'll ever eat one myself!

Wat Phra Buddhabat, Saraburi Province, was built during the reign of King Tham of Ayuthaya, Wat Phra Buddhabat in Saraburi Province enshrines the 2 meter long footprint of Lord Buddha. The footprint is protected under a square edifice with a pyramidal superstructure called a mondop. The interior of the mondop is done with a combination of red and gold design. A mat made of pure silver preserves the floor.

Mike

(C) Copyright 2005. All rights reserved by the author.

Last edited:
There are a number of Buddha footprints around in Thailand, though not as spectacular as this one! One in Nongkhai, and another in Lamphun that I've seen.

Back