Police hunt for thief stealing drain covers in Surin

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
10pm.jpg
Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that there was trouble in the north east of Thailand in Surin which they called "Elephant City" (in non-pandemic years there's a famous pachyderm round-up there notes ASEAN NOW).

Someone has been stealing drain covers and the locals are understandable furious saying that road users could end up down the hole if they're not careful.

Such lack of care even in the best of circumstances has in the past been the cause of injury on Thai roads.

The locals have appealed to the police to turn off Facebook, put the left leg in front of the right in the normal perambulatory manner and actually arrest the miscreants before the black holes gobble someone up.

Reporters hot-footed it to Muang district where they were told that the thieves were removing iron grates.

The local authority were forced to put up protection - plastic barriers and cones that looked the part even if there were no lights.

Other high tech protection devices installed were twigs and leaves and a bucket on a piece of bamboo, notes ASEAN NOW with a small part of tongue inserted in journalistic cheek.

Sawaeng Bunkertram, one of the locals affected, said he'd noticed that until Friday all the grills were in-situ.

He deduced, therefore, that the thefts had occurred in the intervening three days or so.

Thanks Khun Sherlock!

He added with an analysis that even the Baker Street sleuth would be proud of, that the price of iron had just gone up.

He was probably going to flog it to someone else to make a few bob, he added in London style parlance.

"It could have happened in the hours of darkness," he further observed with that familiar eye for detail favored by observant Thais.

Many places in the area have been hit leading to the possibility of danger.

Consequently the locals and the authority had been out in force with varying degrees of "hole falling into preventative measures" both hi and lower tech.

The local authority told the press that this had happened a lot (the thefts not people disappearing down sewers) and they had told the police who are investigating.

The Thai police - as noted professionals in delving into and solving the intracies of the Thai criminal mind - have determined there are three possible clues.

They think it's a local person or someone out of a job or even someone on drugs.

One picture posted by Daily News showed the local resident doing a spot of handy pointing at the lidless sewers.

Elementary My Dear Sawaeng!

asean_now_BB.jpg

10pm.jpg
Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that there was trouble in the north east of Thailand in Surin which they called "Elephant City" (in non-pandemic years there's a famous pachyderm round-up there notes ASEAN NOW).

Someone has been stealing drain covers and the locals are understandable furious saying that road users could end up down the hole if they're not careful.

Such lack of care even in the best of circumstances has in the past been the cause of injury on Thai roads.

The locals have appealed to the police to turn off Facebook, put the left leg in front of the right in the normal perambulatory manner and actually arrest the miscreants before the black holes gobble someone up.

Reporters hot-footed it to Muang district where they were told that the thieves were removing iron grates.

The local authority were forced to put up protection - plastic barriers and cones that looked the part even if there were no lights.

Other high tech protection devices installed were twigs and leaves and a bucket on a piece of bamboo, notes ASEAN NOW with a small part of tongue inserted in journalistic cheek.

Sawaeng Bunkertram, one of the locals affected, said he'd noticed that until Friday all the grills were in-situ.

He deduced, therefore, that the thefts had occurred in the intervening three days or so.

Thanks Khun Sherlock!

He added with an analysis that even the Baker Street sleuth would be proud of, that the price of iron had just gone up.

He was probably going to flog it to someone else to make a few bob, he added in London style parlance.

"It could have happened in the hours of darkness," he further observed with that familiar eye for detail favored by observant Thais.

Many places in the area have been hit leading to the possibility of danger.

Consequently the locals and the authority had been out in force with varying degrees of "hole falling into preventative measures" both hi and lower tech.

The local authority told the press that this had happened a lot (the thefts not people disappearing down sewers) and they had told the police who are investigating.

The Thai police - as noted professionals in delving into and solving the intracies of the Thai criminal mind - have determined there are three possible clues.

They think it's a local person or someone out of a job or even someone on drugs.

One picture posted by Daily News showed the local resident doing a spot of handy pointing at the lidless sewers.

Elementary My Dear Sawaeng!

asean_now_BB.jpg
My wife told me there has been some thefts in our restaurant's neighborhood/village recently. Stolen steel rods and other stuff she told. Loads of people out of work with no income coming in due to the covid pandemic. I've ordered some interior window security installed on our 2 side windows in the restaurant, which have none. Looks like many are at their wits end and not averse to a bit of thievery to make ends meet. It'll get worse I'll bet. Not expensive to do and I'd rather do the security grates than buy a new TV for the shop. :)

@nomad97 you are a fan of Sherlock Holmes. I deduce that the perp will be frequenting the same establishments as yourself. So be on the look out for Khun Somchai Padyratt.
He will identify himself by his aching bad back.

Talking of Sherlock Holmes, I had to tell my family tonight, before reading this article, that Sherlock (me) had solved the case of the missing car keys. I had returned from afar after being a chauffeur to my wife for her first vaccine jab. I sat down in my La-z-boy recliner to look in on and manage the forum. I also had time for another episode of Heartbeat before leaving the house. At 16.30 I got changed as I was off for my 17.00 appointment with the chiropractor. Picking up my bag I looked around for my car keys, none were to be seen, they had disappeared. Fortunately, I have a reserve set and let the house for my appointment. In my absence, the girls hunted high and low for the car keys without success. On my return a couple of hours later, 'Sherlock' had solved the case and went straight to the spot where the missing keys were hiding. They were not in plain sight but, when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. I had deduced during my treatment session, my subconscious working overtime as I relaxed on the couch, being massaged by a lovely young lady, the only possible location for the missing keys. I had come to the conclusion I would have placed the keys in the right-hand pocket of my shorts. Further, while sitting down in my La-z-boy chair after returning with my wife, the keys may have slipped out of the pocket and fallen down the side of the chair. I slipped my hand into the crevice of the chair to be met with a metallic feel. I had indeed surmised the only possible location for the missing keys. Well done Sherlock.

As to the drain covers, no problems where we live, the steel drain covers disappeared a long time ago, if we ever had them. Fortunately, the village has concrete drain covers and these have little, if any, scrap value. :)

Back