PPF Pension Payments

The warning from the bank implies I may get a better rate if I send the money in Baht as it’s the country of destination. This is in their finance interest, hence the bullshit, and it’s easy to change the Baht default to sterling

I see now. My bank's default is Sterling.

I often get a similar warning as Eanto and in big red letters too .........................

"INSUFFICIENT FUNDS TO EFFECT A TRANSFER AT THIS TIME - ADD MONEY TO YOU ACCOUNT"

:D:D:D

I often get a similar warning as Eanto and in big red letters too .........................

"INSUFFICIENT FUNDS TO EFFECT A TRANSFER AT THIS TIME - ADD MONEY TO YOU ACCOUNT"

:D:D:D

That’ll be me next week in one of Pattaya's many Agogos ...

Email from Barnett-Waddington overnight:

"I can confirm that Citibank are converting your pension into the local currency before making a payment into your account as all their payments must be made in the local currency as of March 2011."

Interesting that I think it is Citibank who process UK state pension payments - they are obviously not converted,

Interesting that I think it is Citibank who process UK state pension payments - they are obviously not converted,

If it is Citibank, they are using a more favourable exchange rate than they are for PPF payments (I'm told).

If it is Citibank, then what a disgrace the government not using a British bank.

Not really. They quite rightly put the service out to tender.

Could used a British bank like HSBC - owned by Chinese/Hong Kong..

My banks returned wholly to the private sector now but it’s still doing shite

You can't do that.

All British banks would be invited to tender.

If the banks are invited to tender, I guess the Pension Department must be paying toward the international transfer of the pensions?

If the banks are invited to tender, I guess the Pension Department must be paying toward the international transfer of the pensions?

Obviously.

It is a cost to the DWP.

One of the most famous quotes in history is, "There's no such thing as a free lunch." Actually, the real quote is, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch". The adage refers to the idea that it is impossible for a man to get something for nothing. Every choice you make has a next-best alternative that you could have chosen but didn't. That foregone opportunity is known as opportunity cost. That is, the price you paid for doing whatever it is you did was the opportunity you can no longer enjoy.

https://www.thebalance.com/types-of-opportunity-cost-357197

Previously, one of my pensions was transferred to me by the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) each month. For this I paid a standard charge of £8.00 per transfer deducted at source from my pension. Now that I am using Transferwise I am only paying £6.50 per transfer. I am also pretty sure I am enjoying a better exchange rate than I received from the RBS although I do not have the data to support that statement. What I do know is that Transferwise give the spot rate at the time of the transfer, unlike Yorky's bank that was about 3% less than the spot rate.

Back