Proof of being single for an American citizen

Coffee

You chose a custom title
If an American fellow wants to marry a Thai in Thailand how does he prove he is not married in any other country ?

Essentially how does an American citizen prove he is currently not married or has never been married ?

Letter from the Embassy?

Are you basing this on fact or other knowledge ?

Going with your assumption how would one prove they're currently not or they've never been married in America or any other country...or will the Embassy take the petitioners word at face value ?

Additionally what does the Thai Govt require or accept as proof ?

I know uou specicly wanted to know American but here is my story anyway.
When I got married some 15 years ago. I had to submit my divorce certificate and a statuary declaration to the Australian Embassy who then issued me a signed letter of no impediment as @Croc just mentioned.
I remember having to sit all day at Chang Wattana consular bureau to have all the papers "legalised" as they call it. They issue you with a certificate, that you can use at any Amphur office.
Then have the lord have mercy on your soul. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:.
marriage-game-over.jpg

Essentially how does an American citizen prove he is currently not married or has never been married ?

Follow robjak link. You do have two choices. Bangkok or Chiang Mai either will service you. Both locations you have to make an online reservation. Fee is 50 USD. Question #5 ask if you are single, widow or divorced. By Thai law you need to submit your divorce decree to the US Consulate and have it notarized. If you have never been married don't worry. Fallow the instructions in the link provided. Your affidavit now goes for translation english to Thai and then to the MFA for verification.Two points Chiang Mai has an office of the MFA so you do not have to go to Bangkok and the MFA has and office there for translation. BTW when you swear out this affidavit it is to a American Official that ask you "IF you swear if these lies your telling are correct" which means if you marked the incorrect box of your statues don't worry.:rolleyes: Also check with your amphora to see what other requirement THEY may impose. ;;grimace;;Surin should be OK but a lot of amphurs and I mean in Surin Province require a notarized copy of your passport from your embassy. ;;horror;;Also your betrothed if she was married she needs her divorce certificate. At this point you can now do the signing of names technically at any amphora in T-land.;;bad simle;;

Last edited:
I know uou specicly wanted to know American but here is my story anyway.
When I got married some 15 years ago. I had to submit my divorce certificate and a statuary declaration to the Australian Embassy who then issued me a signed letter of no impediment as @Croc just mentioned.
I remember having to sit all day at Chang Wattana consular bureau to have all the papers "legalised" as they call it. They issue you with a certificate, that you can use at any Amphur office.
Then have the lord have mercy on your soul. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:.
marriage-game-over.jpg

How does one prove they've never been married that Thailand will find acceptable ?

If you have been married previously in Thailand you will need to provide your divorce papers to the Embassy.

I'm sure robjak link is fine. Another is https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citize...-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married-in-thailand/
May I advise that before anything is done, there should be a visit to the proposed Amphur office to see the person who actually signs the paperwork to get a written list of what is required from both husband and wife to be. As it seems with all government departments, there are sometimes discrepancies as to the precise requirements

An alternative to what has been written above, consider getting married in Bangkok. Some 14 years ago I was in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), Chaengwattana, waiting in the queue to get the necessary documents to get married. I had already obtained the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry in Thailand from the British Embassy (after producing my UK Divorce Certificate and signing the application). While waiting in the queue, a young lady freelance agent, approached me and asked if I was getting married. I replied in the affirmative. She then asked if I wanted to get married that day. That was not really on my mind at the time although it did not seem such a bad idea. I popped the question to my fiancée who seemed to like the idea. We said yes, please do. We negotiated a fee for her services of 3,000 baht to take care of everything, including all translations and photocopies. Taxi fees, town hall marriage ceremony and document processing at MFA would be additional and at actual cost. The time was mid morning, we handed over all our documents to the young lady and went downstairs for a coffee. She arrived an hour or so later and ushered us to the waiting taxi outside. Off to the town hall and registry office, 500 baht to grease the wheels and go to the front of the queue, got married, received the marriage certificates and retired for lunch. We met up with the young lady an hour or so later back in the MFA to sign all the translated and certified documents associated with the marriage. She took these inside to be officially endorsed by the MFA. Back to the cafeteria for drinks and a wait for all to be finalised. It seemed a long wait but everything was finalised and endorsed by 4 o'clock in the afternoon. Job done, legally married and with all the paperwork to prove it.

In the course of writing this article I came across this comprehensive guide that may help others:

Getting Married in Thailand – Do it Yourself in One Day!

https://www.thethailandlife.com/married-thailand-diy-day .

Back