Proof of life

J

johnb

I have been sitting on this for a couple of weeks awaiting the outcome. Today I received confirmation of success and so feel able to report.

As you may know, I have been in Europe for two and a half months doing a consultancy. Just before returning, I received an email from UK Teachers Pensions saying that my pension had been suspended as I had not completed and returned a proof of life declaration.

Sure enough, when I got home to Surin, I found three letters requesting the same. My dear wife had not realised their significance.

I completed the necessary forms, had them witnessed, thanks to another member of this forum, and got them in the post (registered airmail with internet tracker facility). After an anxious wait, today I got confirmation of receipt and an email stating that my pension will continue without interruption.

So, a happy ending for me but just a cautionary tale for the rest of you guys out there on pensions. Make sure the proof of life stuff is done... and done on time!

So exactly...

...how does one prove they are alive without going before a board of inquiry ?

Did you have to get a letter from a Thai health professional or Government authority ?

I can vouch for you from a tennis perspective that you are more than alive, John...but then again , I didn't have proof of your true identity. (Are you really Laver's younger brother ?)

John, the proof of life letter seems to be becoming an annual thing.
I have had two recently although neither of mine required witnessing just signing

I have had two recently although neither of mine required witnessing just signing

If your proof of life letter is anything like ours from the USA we do it EVERY year for Social Security.

...how does one prove they are alive without going before a board of inquiry ?

Did you have to get a letter from a Thai health professional or Government authority ?

I can vouch for you from a tennis perspective that you are more than alive, John...but then again , I didn't have proof of your true identity. (Are you really Laver's younger brother ?)

I just had to sign the form and get a witness to give their address and sign.

Whilst I am very much alive, my tennis games is currently moribund owing to a knee cartilage injury. This would be a good time to challenge me to play for money, Coffee!

Way back in 1994 I started signing the original Surin's Old David's proof of life papers on a yearly basis. He had a pension from London transport rail or underground which we kept going for a period of time after his death. No problems but as usual his girlfriend screwed up our arrangement so I contacted a friend who he had worked with and cut the cord on the income.So this type of checking has been going on forever......Crazy1

The Teachers' Pension scheme, from whom I receive, told me, during a Skype call about my suspended and now reinstated pension, that they send out the proof of life requests at 60, 65 and every 5 years up to 90, then it's every year.....here's hoping for the annual ones!

The Teachers' Pension scheme, from whom I receive, told me, during a Skype call about my suspended and now reinstated pension, that they send out the proof of life requests at 60, 65 and every 5 years up to 90, then it's every year.....here's hoping for the annual ones!

I believe they give you a bonus at 100 John!

The UK Pension Service also request proof of life at varying intervals (I haven't had a letter yet) but from one I saw recently, they are particularly anxious to check regularly those whose pension is sent overseas directly.

I believe they give you a bonus at 100 John!

The UK Pension Service also request proof of life at varying intervals (I haven't had a letter yet) but from one I saw recently, they are particularly anxious to check regularly those whose pension is sent overseas directly.

Lol. Better than the King's (as it will undoubtedly be by then) Telegram.
Yes, Nick, varying intervals would have seemed more sensible than what TP told me they do.

Lol. Better than the King's (as it will undoubtedly be by then) Telegram.
Yes, Nick, varying intervals would have seemed more sensible than what TP told me they do.

Telegram John? I think that disappeared long ago. I think it's just a birthday card these days.

As long as it is not from Queen Camilla, I don't care!:smile:

Telegram John? I think that disappeared long ago. I think it's just a birthday card these days.

King Charles or King William, or even King George, might have adopted e-cards by the time I am 90.

I hope it's from President whoever if I reach the ton. My dear old mum's getting close..96 next birthday.

It's a card if I remember..usually there was a pile of them from the Queen, Governor of the State, the Premier, the Prime Minister and the Governor General. I have presented them to the recipient on behalf of the Govt. when I was an MP.
Usually a relative sets it all in motion by contacting the local Member and it's then done through a public relations section of the Prime Minister's office advising that the 100 is about to be reached.
Be the same protocols in Britain I suppose.
Some reactions are funny..especially if the old bugger doesn't like a certain Politician/Official.."What did he/she send me a card for..never liked them!"

May the Good Lord...

I hope it's from President whoever if I reach the ton. My dear old mum's getting close..96 next birthday.

...continue to show his countenance for health and longevity to your dear Mum.

Please wish her a healthy and happy 96th when the date arrives from all the Forum Chokdee5

Back