Rabies shots for 143 Buri Ram villagers after girl’s death

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
Rabies shots for 143 Buri Ram villagers after girl’s death

By The Nation

FILE photo

Buri Ram public health officials on Wednesday started giving rabies shots to 143 people in a village after a 14-year-old schoolgirl died of rabies.

The girl, who was eighth grader at Ban Suksamran School in Pakham district, died on March 17. She became the first rabies victim in Buri Ram and sixth in the country this year.

Doctor Withit Sarideechaikul, chief Buri Ram public health officer, said officials had isolated 143 people who had contacted with the girl and the puppy in question and started giving them rabies shots on Wednesday. They include the girl's relatives, teachers and fellow students.

Withit said the girl was scratched by her puppy in October last year and her family did not take her for a rabies vaccine.

She had a high fever and became nervous and was admitted to the Pakham Hospital on March 16, and died the following day.

Withit said rabies virus can reside in the body between seven days and one year before it shows symptoms, depending on how far the wound is far from the brain.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30341403

-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-21

Someone said, here or elsewhere, I forget at the moment, that the government was going around giving rabies vaccinations to the dogs, and cats, of citizens who had these pets. Don't know why this is not a nation-wide campaign to give free shots for all pets. And not just in the cities, but in the villages as well. Also, why there isn't at 'least' a catch, vaccinate and release program for the soi mutts and cats as well is beyond my ken. Each animal vaccinated should also be given a tattoo in their ear showing they have been vaccinated, to make it easier to tell which are done and which are not. Easily done.

There's more that could be done, but that would be a huge start in fixing the problem.

Poor girl. RIP lass. Dead just for playing with a pup. Sad. And a lack of responsible governance in my opinion. But hey, TIT right? Spend money on an aircraft carrier you can't maintain, and a few submarines too.

The authorities have been about KC twice. The last time was this pass week. I am waiting for a report of vaccinations on Soi Kola.:rolleyes:

My wife has been trying to get free vaccine from the government so she can inoculate all the dogs in the village. But they say they do not have any.
She also tells me that in some areas the government are going round and just killing dogs and cats.
Apparently there is ample supply of the rabies vaccine in the vet shop in Prakhonchai if you are willing to pay for it!!
Our dogs at home are all inoculated, but she wanted to help the village.
TIT

My wife gets free vaccine from the government via the Phuyai Bhan. She tries to inject the local strays but is reluctant to confront any that appear hostile (obviously). It is said that the local authorities are to deploy vets in the near future to carry out the injections.

My wife gets free vaccine from the government via the Phuyai Bhan. She tries to inject the local strays but is reluctant to confront any that appear hostile (obviously). It is said that the local authorities are to deploy vets in the near future to carry out the injections.

Chinese whispers?

Back