Rain?

This afternoon about 2 pm Prasat. Reports 1 dead

สุรินทร์108ดอทคอม สังคม Online ดี ดี ของชาวสุรินทร์toชุมชนสุรินทร์ร้อยแปด
ฝนตกใหม่ ๆ ถนนลื่นมาก ระวังกันด้วยนะครับ ขอแสดงความเสียใจกับญาติผู้เสียชีวิตด้วยนะครับ

ในคลิปเป็นเส้น สุรินทร์ปราสาท เกิดเหตุช่วง 14 นาฬิกาของวันนี้

Forking idiot traveling south - too much speed in the wet, loses control, and crosses central reservation. Poor bugger traveling north did not stand a chance. R.I.P to the departed.

upload_2020-5-19_16-44-41.png

Perfect example of how it doesn't matter how good your driving is - if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, it's curtains.

Just one question, that Nick might have a view on......... if the driver heading north actually drove in the correct lane would the white vehicle have missed him - or perhaps done less damage?

Perfect example of how it doesn't matter how good your driving is - if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, it's curtains.

Just one question, that Nick might have a view on......... if the driver heading north actually drove in the correct lane would the white vehicle have missed him - or perhaps done less damage?
It happened so quickly, but yes, I think that it would have been a miss if the northbound drive was in the left lane. Still would have needed new underwear, but probably a miss.

Yes, there is hard standing to the left and perhaps he would have had sufficient room to swerve out of the way.

Yes, there is hard standing to the left and perhaps he would have had sufficient room to swerve out of the way.

Swerving in those conditions could also have been disastrous. Difficult to ascertain how fast the black car is travelling though. But I would guess pretty quick.

97639907_3218648228158569_3675450140799270912_o.png

PR Thai Government

t4SpaonsorhaSedhnrst ·
The Director-General of the Meteorological Department announced that Thailand entered the rainy season on 18 May 2020. He said it is estimated that there will be more rain than last year. There is a chance that storms will occur over Thailand.

The Department of Disease Control also suggested that when the rains come and the temperature drops, the spread of the virus might get worse. Therefore, the public is recommended to maintain hygiene by washing hands frequently, eating cooked food, using their own food containers, avoiding crowded areas, and wearing face masks. If a mask gets wet or damps while you are wearing it, it's less effective. People are advised to change a face mask any time it becomes wet.

97639907_3218648228158569_3675450140799270912_o.png

PR Thai Government

t4SpaonsorhaSedhnrst ·
The Director-General of the Meteorological Department announced that Thailand entered the rainy season on 18 May 2020. He said it is estimated that there will be more rain than last year. There is a chance that storms will occur over Thailand.

The Department of Disease Control also suggested that when the rains come and the temperature drops, the spread of the virus might get worse. Therefore, the public is recommended to maintain hygiene by washing hands frequently, eating cooked food, using their own food containers, avoiding crowded areas, and wearing face masks. If a mask gets wet or damps while you are wearing it, it's less effective. People are advised to change a face mask any time it becomes wet.
May 18, 1980, near my home in Washington State...not rain.
MSH82_st_helens_plume_from_harrys_ridge_05-19-82.jpg

YES Most certainly. I seem to be one of the few drivers that stays in the left lane on a dual carriageway, whether there are other vehicles or not.

KEEP LEFT EXCEPT WHEN OVERTAKING

SWMBO tells me 3 dead, 1 in coma.

No longer in a coma RIP. 4 Dead. I read a lot of the comments on this You Tube. Only one person mentioned travling in the right.
He said they were there because there is too much water in the left lane. I don't know why he mentioned because nobody else had.
Bye the way you can see what this drivers fatal mistake was. When he started hydroplaning he should of taken the foot off the accelerator and not moved the steering wheel.
He shouldn't of touched the breaks either it makes it worse. Going on a straight trajectory is better then an uncontrolled spin.
Checks his wheels as he pulled hard left that is what sent the car into an uncontrollable slide.
I learnt that in defensive driving classes if anybody was wondering.
I can thank a colleague that did what that poor fellow did but at least he escaped with his life. It was decided that I should know how to prevent such an incident in the future.
As I stepped into his job after the accident.

No longer in a coma RIP. 4 Dead. I read a lot of the comments on this You Tube. Only one person mentioned travling in the right.
He said they were there because there is too much water in the left lane. I don't know why he mentioned because nobody else had.
Bye the way you can see what this drivers fatal mistake was. When he started hydroplaning he should of taken the foot off the accelerator and not moved the steering wheel.
He shouldn't of touched the breaks either it makes it worse. Going on a straight trajectory is better then an uncontrolled spin.
Checks his wheels as he pulled hard left that is what sent the car into an uncontrollable slide.
I learnt that in defensive driving classes if anybody was wondering.
I can thank a colleague that did what that poor fellow did but at least he escaped with his life. It was decided that I should know how to prevent such an incident in the future.
As I stepped into his job after the accident.

Sound advice.

Hard to do when you are actually in that situation..... and I think I was taught to to turn into the slide... not sure, it was a long time ago and keeping the wheels straight in those circumstances makes sense.

I had a situation a couple of years ago; road still wet after rain (but not like the above clip) and I was going a tad too quick for the conditions. Not in normal circumstances but traveling on a dual carriageway a double truck pulled out from the left some 300 metres ahead of me and he clocked the right hand lane. Not a problem, there was plenty of room on the left of him and I braked down from 100 kph to 60 kph as I got nearer. What I hadn't taken into account was the ******* in a single truck who decided to follow the double truck - that really cut down my options and made it 'not normal circumstances'.

As a reaction, I hit the brakes and was already on the left where there was loose grit and a wet road - I started to spin (turned the wheel into it) and my arse end was suddenly facing towards Buriram rather than the front end. Not going that fast but I had no control and I braced myself (I think I closed my eyes!) for a collision with whatever was going to be in my way. Fortunately, that something was one of the orange and white triangular traffic 'cones' about about 1m x 1.5m? - the car impacted with that and I came to a halt. I immediately realised that I had not hit a tree/post/truck/motocy/pedestrian breathed a deep sigh of relief, restarted the car and set off. When I arrived home I got out and looked around the sides and rear of the car - not a scratch. It was only when the missus pointed out the front of the car that I understood where the point of impact was - the bull bars had been pushed in and a there was a dent at the front. 3,000 Baht to repair, I was lucky - in many respects.

You're correct in one way, Coco. You turn the steering wheel into the skid. But you don't hit the brakes, you tap them while steering into the skid (which will at times reverse direction of the skid.) And keep your foot off the gas pedal.

I've driven on snow , ice (black ice too), and heavy rain for many years. Learned while working at a rent a car place delivering cars from the pumps/wash bay to large empty parking lots for storage. We all used to use those large empty parking lots to practice our skid control.

I had a situation with my Mini Cooper last winter while in the states. Going up a steep grade on a highway with oldest son and his two children we started to slide. Was light snow over black ice. I was not going very fast due to the weather. As we started skidding back and forth, almost to the point of doing a 360 I turned into the skid and tapped the brakes, the car was swinging the rear end side to side. As it swung each way I steered into the skid whichever way it went. I did as I learned and practiced over the years and managed to get the car under control and avoided ending up in the ditch in the middle of the highway or off the side guardrails as well. My son was impressed to say the least that I kept the vehicle under control and kept my cool under pressure. He thought we were going to go off the road. Experience. I will admit my stomach dropped while this was happening, especially having the kids in the back seat.

From what I have seen many Thais do not slow down when it is raining, especially it seems those in big pick ups and SUVs. And many will stay in the right lane due to all the puddles in the left lane due to the piss poor construction of the highways and the over loaded trucks that destroy the macadam on the road edge. And many have little experience in skid control. When you have snow on the roads nearly 6 months of the year you do tend to get a lot of practice. :)

Sad to see the deaths of these people. Would have been likely to be avoidable if all parties had slowed down considerably with the weather conditions in mind. I also heard the road had recently been recovered in tar. I've seen many times that this will increase the slipperiness of the surface, as oils from the fresh tar will rise to the surface and when rain is added it is exactly like driving on ice. Had a bad motorcycle accident due to just that years ago.

Last edited:
You're correct in one way, Coco. You turn the steering wheel into the skid. But you don't hit the brakes, you tap them while steering into the skid (which will at times reverse direction of the skid.) And keep your foot off the gas pedal.

Thanks Cent. I didn't mention that once I started to skid I took my feet off everything; I knew that further breaking would not help and as for the accelerator, ... well, the last thing I wanted to do was go faster ! ;):)

Video: Horrific head on smash in the rain claims four lives

Picture: Daily News

CCTV from a rice mill on the Surin to Prasat district road showed a horrific collision between a white Toyota pick up and a Mitsubishi Pajero.

Three people in the Toyota were thrown out after the driver lost control and careened to the other side of the road directly into the path of the Pajero.

No one could possibly brake, reported Daily News.

Picture: Daily News

The thirty nine year old driver of the pick up and a male and female passenger were dead at the scene.

They worked for a sugar company.

The driver of the Pajero, Panya, 49, was cut out but died in hospital.

The accident happened on Route 214, km marker 11, in Muang district of Surin in Thailand's north east.

Source: Daily News
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1164989-video-horrific-head-on-smash-in-the-rain-claims-four-lives/

By the photo this took place in-front of the BONGSEE rice mile at GPS 14.7962322815, 103.449479815.

By the photo this took place in-front of the BONGSEE rice mile at GPS 14.7962322815, 103.449479815.
I had driven past the spot, in the dry, the day earlier coming back from Kap Choeng. I recognised the scene immediately. It does tend to be the place where cars speed up a little and are often doing in excess of 90 kph.

Back