Retirement extension today

J

johnb

We went as a family to Surin Immigration today to do my annual retirement extension and get a multiple re-entry permit.

All that was achieved in good humour and reasonably quickly. The only problem was that SI were having a major inspection by Immigration Officers from Bangkok. The senior one said good morning to everyone in the waiting room and apologised for any delays resulting from their visit.

We had the three year old grandson with us and he began showing the usual toddler signs of boredom shortly after that. The officer I have previously ironically called "Mr Happy" turned out on this occasion to be very helpful. Seeing my grandson's agitation, he suggested to my wife that we go off to Chong Chom to eat and do some shopping, leaving the completed forms and fees with him, and he would telephone when all was ready for us to collect.

This we did and he duly called at about 11h00. We got back there at 12h15 and my passport was handed over, in the lunch hour, duly stamped with both extension and re-entry permit. Very impressive service.

I was so happy that it was not until I was half way home that I had a chilling thought. I would appreciate your guidance on this.....

I had a 90 day report due on the 18th December. I went today, the 15th, to do the annual extension. The actual expiry date of the old one was 5th January 2017. I now have a stamp valid until 5th January 2018.
However, I noticed that my last arrival/departure card is still stapled into my passport. Does this mean I still have to do a 90 day report or does the new extension remove the necessity for this? I could do without another visit to SI next week, especially as I will be in hospital for the first 3 days of it. Help?

I am very sorry to say that there is no connection between the 90-day report and the extension/renewal of your visa for a further year. I made that mistake a long, long time ago, when SI was still in the old building on the left as you went into Kap Choeng. That mistake cost me 2,000 baht! Your 90-day report is due 90 days after your previous 90-day report or last arrival into Thailand - whichever comes later. Sounds like another visit to SI next week I am afraid.

It was good to know they were in good humour today - I need to do my annual extension before 31st December. I did my 90-day report at the end of November. How many copies of the paperwork do they need Johnb? One original + 1 copy?

Thanks, Nomad....oh shit!

Original plus one copy. I had taken two but one of each was handed back to me.

Thanks, Nomad....oh shit!

Original plus one copy. I had taken two but one of each was handed back to me.

Sorry, to be the bearer of bad news. And I hope everything goes well for you with your next hospital visit. By the way, a couple of days ago I saw small mattresses on sale outside Thai Watsadu. They are probably full length but I do not know if they are cushioned enough. Don't know if they are exactly what you need but, if you haven't got anything better, they may be suitable as a topper for those things the hospital calls a mattress.

I find those hospital things surprisingly comfortable! I'd just rather not have to use them.

If that is true then at some time in your past life you must have spent at least 7 years in a Tibetan monastery. One night on one of those would kill me - let alone 7 years. LOL!

bed_with_dinner.JPG

If we don't meet before your hospital visit, I hope that all will be well for you John. On the matter of mattress toppers, after discovering just how uncomfortable those thin hospital mattresses are, and starting off with a couple of hospital towels (which were better than nothing) I found that a king-sized duvet, folded and laid over the mattress was the kindest solution (with the sheet's elastic retaining both items.)

Thanks for the replies, chaps.

Re. hospital beds.....I bought a kiddie mattress, emblazoned with Pooh Bear, and found it gave me the necessary support between neck and backside. I am sure the nurses thought I had been sent to them in error and should have been in the psychiatric ward.

Re. 90 day report. False alarm. This story has a happy ending, in this case of a different type to the ones normally discussed on this forum. On closer scrutiny, I found a 90 day report slip, with a next reporting date of 16 March 2017, stapled into the back of my passport. What had thrown me was the non-removal of the old departure card.

This all adds extra brownie points to the service given at SI this morning. They completed visa extension, multiple re-entry and 90 day report all whilst I was eating noodles and shopping with my family. No complaints!

Re. 90 day report. False alarm. This story has a happy ending, in this case of a different type to the ones normally discussed on this forum. On closer scrutiny, I found a 90 day report slip, with a next reporting date of 16 March 2017, stapled into the back of my passport. What had thrown me was the non-removal of the old departure card.

This all adds extra brownie points to the service given at SI this morning. They completed visa extension, multiple re-entry and 90 day report all whilst I was eating noodles and shopping with my family. No complaints!

Well damn it to hell John! Thanks a lot. o_O

Well just what exactly is there in your post for us poor, sufferin' folk to find and to resoundly complain about! ;;haha;;

Thanks for the replies, chaps.

Re. hospital beds.....I bought a kiddie mattress, emblazoned with Pooh Bear, and found it gave me the necessary support between neck and backside. I am sure the nurses thought I had been sent to them in error and should have been in the psychiatric ward.

Personally, I always like happy endings!

John, the only time your TM 6 departure card will be removed is upon departure from Thailand.

I am very sorry to say that there is no connection between the 90-day report and the extension/renewal of your visa for a further year. I made that mistake a long, long time ago, when SI was still in the old building on the left as you went into Kap Choeng. That mistake cost me 2,000 baht! Your 90-day report is due 90 days after your previous 90-day report or last arrival into Thailand - whichever comes later. Sounds like another visit to SI next week I am afraid.

I'm sorry Nomad and JohnB but I seem to believe that the 90 day report is due 90 days after the day you did your extension. Well mine is as I did my annual extension on November 2 and my next 90 day report according to the slip of paper that was placed in my passport is 30 Jan which is 90 days from Nov 2.

My extension runs from 15 November to the following 15 November.

I'm sorry Nomad and JohnB but I seem to believe that the 90 day report is due 90 days after the day you did your extension. Well mine is as I did my annual extension on November 2 and my next 90 day report according to the slip of paper that was placed in my passport is 30 Jan which is 90 days from Nov 2.

You are quite correct if you/they do the 90-day report the same day you do your extension. However, if you/they forget to do the 90-day report the same day you do your extension then the date of the 90-day report will be 90 days from the previous/last 90-day report. It is not tied automatically to the date you do your extension.

Thats only for your first 90 day report on your first extension. If you leave country at any time it changes and this is why JB will need to return to SI. His 90 day report and extension were not in sink as he comes and goes a regular bases which throws the cycle off. This is an OOP's that catches a lot off guard and my cost you 2000 baht for a late 90 day report. It is very common to have a 90 day report date before your extension expires. and your new extension takes effect. Sometimes if the IO is spot on they will bring your 90 day report date back into sink with your new extension. The mistake JB made was leaving SI without checking with them that all was in order including his 90 day report.

Back