Retirement extension today

We went as a family to Surin Immigration today to do my annual retirement extension and get a multiple re-entry permit.

All that was achieved in good humour and reasonably quickly. The only problem was that SI were having a major inspection by Immigration Officers from Bangkok. The senior one said good morning to everyone in the waiting room and apologised for any delays resulting from their visit.

We had the three year old grandson with us and he began showing the usual toddler signs of boredom shortly after that. The officer I have previously ironically called "Mr Happy" turned out on this occasion to be very helpful. Seeing my grandson's agitation, he suggested to my wife that we go off to Chong Chom to eat and do some shopping, leaving the completed forms and fees with him, and he would telephone when all was ready for us to collect.

This we did and he duly called at about 11h00. We got back there at 12h15 and my passport was handed over, in the lunch hour, duly stamped with both extension and re-entry permit. Very impressive service.

I was so happy that it was not until I was half way home that I had a chilling thought. I would appreciate your guidance on this.....

I had a 90 day report due on the 18th December. I went today, the 15th, to do the annual extension. The actual expiry date of the old one was 5th January 2017. I now have a stamp valid until 5th January 2018.
However, I noticed that my last arrival/departure card is still stapled into my passport. Does this mean I still have to do a 90 day report or does the new extension remove the necessity for this? I could do without another visit to SI next week, especially as I will be in hospital for the first 3 days of it. Help?

First John hope your hospital resort visit goes splendidly.:D As far as reporting you have until December 25 to do your 90 day report. 15 days before to 7 days after. If nothing else don't sweat the small stuff its only a 2000 baht fine for not reporting as long as your nice if not its 5000 baht.:rolleyes:

I don't think there is any link between the 90-day report and the extension of stay at all,
independent stuff

the 90-day eport requirement is running whether you have an extension of stay or not

This was my third extension and I did my report 90 days after each one. Mind you, I recall after my latest I got my passport given back to me by the IO that sits at the little table on the left and does the 90 day reports, I did ask when my next 90 day report was and he had already folded it and stapled it into my passport, he unstapled it and showed me the next date which was in another 90 days. At no time did I ask to do my 90 day report during my extension application.

I don't think there is any link between the 90-day report and the extension of stay at all,
independent stuff

the 90-day eport requirement is running whether you have an extension of stay or not

I thought the 90 day report ONLY applied if you have an extension of stay (or an O-A visa).

With Non-Imm 'O' visas you have to leave Thailand every 90 days.

the 90 day stuff apply to people residing in LoS, except those who have Thai nationality (pr maybe PR), every 90 days your whereabouts are to be reported to immigration
regardless of what kind of visa you have

Note:
The requirement is for those staying in LoS (without leaving) for 90 consecutive days, every time you leave, or enter rather, the 90 day clock starts ticking again

this is regardless of what kind of visa you have

I thought the 90 day report ONLY applied if you have an extension of stay (or an O-A visa).

With Non-Imm 'O' visas you have to leave Thailand every 90 days.

If you have any extension aka retirement, marriage, B with a wp, you have to do a 90 day report. Problem is everyone says I have a an O visa and I ask based on what? The look they give me is like I slapped their face. If you are on a visa you have to leave Thailand every 90 days. BTW ,,the O-A retirement for two years you also have to report every 90 days.

I have tried always to tie one of my 90 day reports into the day that I apply for my extension, i.e. generally by reporting within the 7 days after the actual report date. It appears now that the 90 days is counted from the date that you are/were required to report and not the actual date that you did report. My latest 90 day report was due last Wednesday at which time I applied for my extension (40 days earlier than the last one expired). Next year the dates may not be so kind therefore I hope that the on-line reporting is back up and running (if it ever was).

For information:

I am always a little apprehensive about applying for my extension and I cannot understand why. In the 16 years that I have been applying, I have only had minor hiccoughs and the application this week went as smoothly as most of the others. OK, I was there for 75 minutes with only two other farangs present (and one was a pita) and albeit that the process was far from efficient it was of no concern (you get used to it).

Breezed into Surin Immigration at 08.40 this morning and walked out 30 minutes later with visa extension (based on retirement) and a new 90-day report.
I think this is a new world record and an application will be sent to the Guiness Book of Records for inclusion in next year 's awards. My thanks to all for an excellent service.

I had completed all the normal paperwork prior to my visit: TM7 with new photo, Letter from the British Embassy (confirming income), photcopies of the relevant pages from my passport, new Google Map of address in Surin and a printed bank statement of the last 6 months transactions available from my Internet banking account. I was given 2 further forms to fill-in by the I.O. (not assigned official numbers) concerning my local bank account and another about the penalties of working illegally. I had filled these in before during my previous couple of visits. In addition, my wife took copies of her ID card and Housebook. These were added to the growing pile by the I.O. All the documents were stamped by the I.O. and either my signature or that of my wife was duly countersigned on the pages.

There was a lot of talking between my wife and the Immigration staff in the office this morning and some good humoured banter too. I think my wife must have recently kissed the ..................................

kissing-the-blarney-stone-source_joe.jpg

or the Thai equivalent at least, because I was given a 12 month visa extension. For reasons not explained to me I was given an 'Emergency' 12 month visa extension. With hindsight, I think this was an euphemism for an exception to the rule. However, please be advised that my wife was told by the I.O. that the system has changed and gone back to how it was a couple of years ago. Effective as of now, S.I. are only giving a 30-day under consideration stamp pending a house visit by the Immigration staff. Following a successful house visit the applicant will have to return to S.I. to obtain the 12 month visa extension. Watch this space.

Effective as of now, S.I. are only giving a 30-day under consideration stamp pending a house visit by the Immigration staff. Following a successful house visit the applicant will have to return to S.I. to obtain the 12 month visa extension. Watch this space.

I hope that this is for extensions of stay based upon marriage to Thai and not to those based upon retirement.

I hope that this is for extensions of stay based upon marriage to Thai and not to those based upon retirement.

Presumably so because Nomad was immediately granted his on the basis of retirement.

GL will confirm or deny, but I thought all marriage based extensions were 30 days under consideration because they had to be signed off in Korat/Bangkok.

House visits in these cases depend on the whim of the day.

Breezed into Surin Immigration at 08.40 this morning and walked out 30 minutes later with visa extension (based on retirement) and a new 90-day report.
I think this is a new world record and an application will be sent to the Guiness Book of Records for inclusion in next year 's awards. My thanks to all for an excellent service.

Good but no record.;) 20 minutes in Chiang Mai.:D

Wait and see. My impression is that both extensions based on marriage and retirement will nw be subject to house visits again. The boss who was here two years ago and implemented the house visits back then has just returned to S.I. This is his policy and this is what he wants, so my wife was told.

Presumably so because Nomad was immediately granted his on the basis of retirement.

GL will confirm or deny, but I thought all marriage based extensions were 30 days under consideration because they had to be signed off in Korat/Bangkok.

House visits in these cases depend on the whim of the day.

No Bangpussy only to Korat.

Wait and see. My impression is that both extensions based on marriage and retirement will nw be subject to house visits again. The boss who was here two years ago and implemented the house visits back then has just returned to S.I. This is his policy and this is what he wants, so my wife was told.

I was under the impression that the house visits for retirees ceased because SI did not have sufficient staff. I myself only had one visit (2016).

Last edited:
GL thinks it is bullshit and Yorky has reservations too. Wait and see - I can only tell you what was said to my wife - the truth is out there.

Good report and congratulations, Nomad.
Is this what you received stamped into your passport (albeit with different dates) ?20171106_174629.jpgYou confuse me with your term "Emergency" visa extension. :openmouth:

Back