Schiedam

Yorky

Fullritis Member
Yesterday I received an unimportant notification from the UK Pensions Department about my old age pension. As appears to be the norm it arrived here approximately 3 weeks after the letter was dated (no date on the postmark) and via Schiedam in the Netherlands.

Does anyone have any idea why the letters are routed through Holland and is this the reason for the 3 week transit time?

Attachments

• postmark.jpg
    postmark.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 3
I do not know but would guess that the postal service is contracted out. Just so happens they get a better/cheaper rate posting from the continent than using the Royal Mail. Also, I have noticed on many occasions that everything from those Government Departments comes via the boat train and takes around 3 to 4 weeks to arrive.

Also, I have noticed on many occasions that everything from those Government Departments comes via the boat train and takes around 3 to 4 weeks to arrive.

So the "Prioritaire" stamp could be considered a misnomer then?

{for information, I have not yet received any "urgent" correspondence from the Pensions Department so it is not a worry (up to now)}

Yesterday I received an unimportant notification from the UK Pensions Department about my old age pension. As appears to be the norm it arrived here approximately 3 weeks after the letter was dated (no date on the postmark) and via Schiedam in the Netherlands.

Does anyone have any idea why the letters are routed through Holland and is this the reason for the 3 week transit time?

We at Thai Widows & Expats receive a lot of mail from the DWP in Newcastle . It is important, and on most occasions the widows we are helping have been waiting to hear about their pensions for several months.

Sometimes we receive payment on their behalf, in our UK bank just showing a NI number, and have to wait 2/3 weeks for the letter to arrive, linking the NI number to a name.

It may be cheaper to route corespondence through Holland (or even France sometimes), but surely service should come first. And the extra cost of Royal Mail, Air Mail 4/5 day delivery is a mere pittance when compared to all the money that is paid out to non deserving immigrant families who are not even, nor ever have been in the UK

Schiedam, huh? I was expecting her to be Mahdam's wife rather than a Dutch postal service.

It's not just the Pension folk who post via Schiedam

Just had a letter from HMRC PAYE, with no UK address other than BX91AS. sent via PO Box 3000, Schiedam. Issued 3rd August 2015!!!

Back