Second Bathroom

nomad97

Resident Geek
The second bathroom in our house has always been the poor cousin to our main bathroom. It had a WC but no automatic flush, there was a large water barrel with a scoop instead, and there was no wash basin. Over the past couple of days those deficiencies have been rectified. I removed the old manual WC and installed a new WC with an automatic flush. In doing so, I learnt that all WC's have a standard measurement for the waste pipe - 305 mm from the wall to the center of the outlet. Luckily, that was so in my house too. The water barrel has been emptied and removed. A new wash basin has been fitted and will be plumbed in later today. So far all is going to plan.

20190409_163256.jpg

20190409_163309.jpg

Great work Nomad, I have been pondering getting a new flush dunny myself but have been put off by the scope of it all. My main worry has been just what you highlighted, connecting to the waste outlet. If they are all standard I may give it a go, although some things in most Thai houses are never standard. Where'd you buy the dunny and how much? What other tools or items did you need, silicone?

Some years ago we had a toilet building constructed at the bottom of the garden, and I very carefully marked out on the wall and the floor where the toilet was to be positioned. When I returned home, the builders had put it right in the middle of the room, at least half metre from the wall! It was repositioned next day. More than likely the builders did not have a toilet where they lived, and were unaware of where it was supposed to go. . That said, my first Thai inlaws in Korat area, had 100 rai of land, but no toilet. Everyone,including me when I stayed there , had to carry a "job", and disappear into the undergrowth, hoping not to dig where someone else had previously dug.:eek::oops:

I did install a toliet for them, but they never used it.

Some years ago we had a toilet building constructed at the bottom of the garden, and I very carefully marked out on the wall and the floor where the toilet was to be positioned. When I returned home, the builders had put it right in the middle of the room, at least half metre from the wall! It was repositioned next day. More than likely the builders did not have a toilet where they lived, and were unaware of where it was supposed to go. . That said, my first Thai inlaws in Korat area, had 100 rai of land, but no toilet. Everyone,including me when I stayed there , had to carry a "job", and disappear into the undergrowth, hoping not to dig where someone else had previously dug.:eek::oops:

I did install a toliet for them, but they never used it.

To avoid any Americans (and others) struggling with the language.... a "job" or "jobby" can be British for a ****.

In Nick's context he was actually carrying a hoe rather than a piece of shit.

"jorb" (straight phonetic) or "jaawp" (Thai transliteration) would better describe the tool that Nick carried to dig the hole to bury his crap. ;)

Great work Nomad, I have been pondering getting a new flush dunny myself but have been put off by the scope of it all. My main worry has been just what you highlighted, connecting to the waste outlet. If they are all standard I may give it a go, although some things in most Thai houses are never standard. Where'd you buy the dunny and how much? What other tools or items did you need, silicone?

I spoke too soon. Sod's Law came into play just as I was finishing the plumbing to the wash basin. I spotted out the corner of my eye a drip of water appearing on the wall behind the WC. I knew at once it had to be the fitting attached to the male plastic screw fitting coming out of the wall, the fitting attached to the water inlet pipe. Bollocks! was the first expletive that came to mind and several other followed rapidly thereafter. I had to get down on all fours and remove three fittings, one to the bum gun, one to the WC and the third to the wash basin before I could access the main fitting to the wall. All were nicely out of sight and difficult to get to behind the WC. Just as I was getting to the last fitting it came away in my hands - the plastic screw thread had sheared off from the main elbow joint. Bollocks and double bollocks! Sit down, deep thought, the house was now without water as I had shut off the main stop cock outside. With no means of plugging the gaping hole I could not turn back on the water - I was well and truly FCUKED!

Only one thing for it, cut away the tiles to gain access to the water inlet pipe. However, the newly fitted WC was in the way. Bollocks again. Fortunately I was able to dislodge the WC seal with a couple of well placed blows on a jimmy with a sledge hammer and the WC came away undamaged. Next I drilled the tiles and hacked away with steel bar. I gained access to the pipe. So far so good. Now to ease the pipe from inside the wall, cut the damaged elbow joint from the pipe and fit a new elbow to the existing pipe. Bollocks and triple bollocks! The frigging plastic pipe snapped off below the floor level. Time for a photo.

20190410_154113.jpg

Just showing at the bottom of the recess is the top of a T fitting to the water inlet pipe. Not quite so clear is a plastic plug that was fashioned to fit into the opening and sealed in place with water proof epoxy resin. What I found out today was the builder had used the cheapest and thinnest plastic pipes available in the construction of the house. Moreover, the plastic pipes had become very brittle over the past 8 or 9 years and snapped easily. With this in mind, I decided further work on the pipe work was a non starter. With the help of my resident engineer, Mr @Rice, we fashioned the plug and stuck it in the hole with resin. Thankfully it worked, the pipe has been sealed and water has been restored to the house once again. My heart felt thanks to @Rice for his help this afternoon. More later.

Very true @Wombat. I did wonder why the hole in the floor at the 305 mm point was concrete and not a 6" plastic waste pipe. I was soon to discover that the plastic waste pipe was at location 405 mm and hidden under the tiles. Standard my arse! The concrete cavity was merely a link mechanism to join up with the 6" plastic waste outlet.

20190410_154119.jpg 20190410_154119.jpg

And the real waste pipe was hiding under the tiles (reverse angle)

20190410_154126.jpg

So, what was almost a perfect job completed in a couple of days has, in the wink of an eye, turned to rat's shit. I now have a cavity wall to fill, 4 tiles to remove and replace, grouting of the new tiles before I can commence work on the fitting the new WC. I will seal off the old water inlet and use an alternate inlet on another wall. I have several days ahead of me to complete the work. More later.

Last edited:
With three girls in the family this is probably your second man cave ...
Very astute. I gave them the evil eye this morning and said this is my bathroom. I informed them that I will clear my stuff from the master bathroom and the girls can then have that for their own uses. Unfortunately, with the scope of work expanding it may take a few more days before I can complete the transition.

Back