Shopping in Surin

lightfoot

Surin Legend
On my last trip to Do Home, the new building supply store where I Q used to be. My sweet Significant other had to deposit her bag or purse in a canvas bag with a lock on it. She could take her purse in the Canvas bag with her shopping and then get it unlocked at the cashier when she checked out. This is the first time I've experienced this anywhere in Thailand or anywhere else. Having mixed thoughts on doing further shopping there, it is closer to me & more convenient. Maybe it's back to Global. I can understand this for pilferage being a past merchant myself at different times in my life, it did offend me a bit. Maybe just another amazing Thailand experience. Be interested if anybody experienced this anywhere else.

On my last trip to Do Home, the new building supply store where I Q used to be. My sweet Significant other had to deposit her bag or purse in a canvas bag with a lock on it. She could take her purse in the Canvas bag with her shopping and then get it unlocked at the cashier when she checked out. This is the first time I've experienced this anywhere in Thailand or anywhere else. Having mixed thoughts on doing further shopping there, it is closer to me & more convenient. Maybe it's back to Global. I can understand this for pilferage being a past merchant myself at different times in my life, it did offend me a bit. Maybe just another amazing Thailand experience. Be interested if anybody experienced this anywhere else.
Interesting. I have not come across this practice before. I prefer to use the DIY store across from the traffic lights, Thai Watsadu. At my last visit, there was no evidence that they conduct similar security measures.

Perhaps if the overabundant staff at these places put their cellphones down and stopped hiding customers would not be so ready to walk out the door with washing machines tucked under their arms. Big C has started checking receipts on the way out here, as they do in Macro. Theft is obviously cutting into the bottom line.

Perhaps if the overabundant staff at these places put their cellphones down and stopped hiding customers would not be so ready to walk out the door with washing machines tucked under their arms. Big C has started checking receipts on the way out here, as they do in Macro. Theft is obviously cutting into the bottom line.

Why do they check the receipts?

You've just left the checkout after paying the bill. Why would you have hidden the "stolen" item and then retrieved it and placed it in your trolley before leaving the store. Surely you would keep it hidden?

Maybe it's the checkout personnel they are monitoring?

And to be somewhat cynical, the guys checking the receipts do not strike me as being the sharpest knives in the block.

Interesting. I have not come across this practice before. I prefer to use the DIY store across from the traffic lights, Thai Watsadu. At my last visit, there was no evidence that they conduct similar security measures.
I commented a couple of weeks ago about DO Home. No trolleys, no obvious signs to the cashier. I said then it was my first and last visit. Others seem to have a like mind.

I did use the Dan Kwian/Korat DO Home some years ago, and bought my jacuzzi there. It was delivered at 5.45am!!!!!!!!!!

I commented a couple of weeks ago about DO Home. No trolleys, no obvious signs to the cashier. I said then it was my first and last visit. Others seem to have a like mind.

I did use the Dan Kwian/Korat DO Home some years ago, and bought my jacuzzi there. It was delivered at 5.45am!!!!!!!!!!
I think you need to place an order with DirectSpecs. You walk straight past the check-out cashiers when you walk into the store. Similarly, they are difficult to miss when you try to walk out of the store without paying. ;;bad simle;;

Big C and Lotus's do have a bag repository too. However, they do not give you lockable bags for your belongings. All you get is a numbered tag which you exchange for your bag on your return/way out.

My wife and I went to Surin's DoHome a few days ago when the carpark was VERY full. The only available parking space was outside the WCs - and for a new store they stank to high Heaven as we exited the car. On approaching the store, my wife was told that bags were not allowed inside so we returned to the car and locked the bag in the rear, out of sight.

I only wanted a small desk fan, and had already tried Thai Watsadu which had none. I asked at DoHome, and was told the inevitable mai mee after being shown a fan that was larger than my desk... We left the store, passing changing-room style lockers by the cashiers on the way out where my wife's bag could easily have been deposited if only we'd been told they existed.

The store is vast, and searching for a specific item is tedious as the staff seem unable to locate stuff either. I can no longer be arsed wandering around for up to an hour on a fruitless search. I won't bother using their disgusting WC either.

On the way home, I stopped at the Mr DIY shop in Lotus's (they'll change the signs eventually, maybe) and found the small fan I wanted for 100 Baht within a minute or two of entering. Says it all.

I think you need to place an order with DirectSpecs. You walk straight past the check-out cashiers when you walk into the store. Similarly, they are difficult to miss when you try to walk out of the store without paying. ;;bad simle;;
NOT if entering the store in the first door having driven into the carpark from the Sangha end.

The store is vast, and searching for a specific item is tedious as the staff seem unable to locate stuff either. I can no longer be arsed wandering around for up to an hour on a fruitless search.

It is because of that that I've only been once. My pins are not as sturdy as they used to be and they were knackered before I'd searched 25% of the store.

My wife and I went to Surin's DoHome a few days ago when the carpark was VERY full. The only available parking space was outside the WCs - and for a new store they stank to high Heaven as we exited the car. On approaching the store, my wife was told that bags were not allowed inside so we returned to the car and locked the bag in the rear, out of sight.

I only wanted a small desk fan, and had already tried Thai Watsadu which had none. I asked at DoHome, and was told the inevitable mai mee after being shown a fan that was larger than my desk... We left the store, passing changing-room style lockers by the cashiers on the way out where my wife's bag could easily have been deposited if only we'd been told they existed.

The store is vast, and searching for a specific item is tedious as the staff seem unable to locate stuff either. I can no longer be arsed wandering around for up to an hour on a fruitless search. I won't bother using their disgusting WC either.

On the way home, I stopped at the Mr DIY shop in Lotus's (they'll change the signs eventually, maybe) and found the small fan I wanted for 100 Baht within a minute or two of entering. Says it all.
I tend to agree with your comments. The store is too big and finding what you want is not easy. I have been there 2 or 3 times now but not this year. In part, because of the vastness of the store and also because of the overzealous female security person. I arrived early, shortly after opening time, the car park was virtually empty. I parked up between the white lines outside the entrance. The security person asked me to move my car because I was not parked between the lines, at least that is what I thought she may have said. We had an altercation. I told her that was a load of bollocks as I knew I was perfectly parked within the white lines. I left the car where it was and proceeded to enter the store. It was only on my return to the car that the penny dropped, or should I say satang? It was only then that I saw the painted orange lines marking out the parking spaces. Clearly, the security person was referring to the orange lines which I had straddled. So be aware, the white lines are the old parking spaces from IQ days. The DoHome parking spaces are orange coloured. Confusing eh? :)

Back