Thailand to offer grace period for foreigners’ visa extensions

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
Thailand to offer grace period for foreigners’ visa extensions

FILE PHOTO: Immigration officers stand in front of an empty arrivals hall at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International airport amid the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), Thailand, June 3, 2020. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand on Friday said it would give foreigners a grace period until September to apply for visa extensions as it eased restrictions amid the pandemic, a senior official said.

“The situation in the country and overseas has improved,” Immigration Bureau Commissioner Sompong Chingduong told Reuters.

“So we do not propose to extend visas after July 31, but allow for visa requests from August 1 to September 26,” he said, adding the grace period will be proposed to cabinet for approval.

After which, if a request was not made and the visa expired, over staying will be considered illegal.

Thailand has granted foreigners automatic visa extensions twice so far to prevent long queues at immigration.

The country has gone seven weeks without confirmed local transmission. It has reported 3,239 infections and 58 deaths.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat and Chayut Setboonsarng; editing by Jason Neely)

"“The situation in the country and overseas has improved,” Immigration Bureau Commissioner Sompong Chingduong told Reuters."

Really? If so why can't I cross the border into Laos and come back in? Without a 2 week isolation? At all? Baloney.

"The country has gone seven weeks without confirmed local transmission. It has reported 3,239 infections and 58 deaths."

And Laos has gone more than 90 days without a case of Covid.

Last edited:
Anybody actually understand what they mean ?

"give foreigners a grace period until September to apply for visa extensions"

and

“So we do not propose to extend visas after July 31, but allow for visa requests from August 1 to September 26,”

Contradictory statements.....

Gothan City here we come..............................................renew, oops, extend my permission to stay.

e62752831eebdb63c0fc4e22f02fd24f.jpg

OK, here's a question if anyone may know the answer to here. Can we go into Laos? Are we allowed into the country from Thailand by border crossing in Mukdahan? Once there can we we come back into Thailand and have to stay for 2 weeks in isolation? Or is both sides of the border closed? And, is the Savanakhet Thai Consulate open for business?

OK, here's a question if anyone may know the answer to here. Can we go into Laos? Are we allowed into the country from Thailand by border crossing in Mukdahan? Once there can we we come back into Thailand and have to stay for 2 weeks in isolation? Or is both sides of the border closed? And, is the Savanakhet Thai Consulate open for business?

I thought the answers to those questions were - no, no, no, n/a, yes, and no.

Just a guess.

Can we go into Laos? NO

Are we allowed into the country from Thailand by border crossing in Mukdahan? NO

Once there can we we come back into Thailand and have to stay for 2 weeks in isolation? Well it;s mute is it not, you cannot leave and you cannot come back if you could.

Or is both sides of the border closed? It is closed. To foreigners anyway.

And, is the Savanakhet Thai Consulate open for business? Yes it is. But they are not issuing visas. Surprising really as not to sell visas for a closed border.

I see it all this way. The thing is they are conflicted with what they want to do (be their usual pricks) and what the rest of the world is doing. (which is the right thing).
They will reluctantly do the right thing. Or risk bringing the wrath of world opinion down on them. Yes you are right they don't normaly care. Most countries will not act in kind against Thai citizens abroad. BUT. some will.They are not all nice like western democracies.
I will be initiating a spouse visa extension plan very soon. I have just been waiting to see how it all pans out. Why waste the amnesty time given.

Bye the way in a press release from the Goose in charge he said no other countries are being nice like Thailand. An Out and Out Lie.

For instance ....
Proclamation No. 929, dated March 16, 2020, declaring a "State of Calamity" throughout the Philippines due to the coronavirus disease.
Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr likewise gave assurances foreign tourists stranded in the Philippines will be "deemed to have their visas extended" and will not face penalties when departing the country. If this inconveniences foreign nationals, we will ease the way for them. This is not a time to teach people lessons, force them to depend on themselves; but for us to help. Teaching lessons is for teachers—not officials. It is not that we're paid to help but helping is duty.

My respects and admiration is to Mr Teodoro Locsin Jr for his humanitarian approach, his counterpart here is just a joke.

Does anybody think western countries are issuing warnings to foreigners at closed borders?

Anybody actually understand what they mean ?

"give foreigners a grace period until September to apply for visa extensions"

and

“So we do not propose to extend visas after July 31, but allow for visa requests from August 1 to September 26,”

Contradictory statements.....
Difficult!

I think he said, “So we do not propose to extend visas after July 31, but allow for visa requests from August 1 to September 26,” he said, adding the grace period will be proposed to cabinet for approval."

My interpretation would be along the lines of, everyone's current visas (permission to stay) that expires at the end of the earlier amnesty, i.e. 31st July, will expire on that date. Thereafter, those affected will have to take the appropriate action to extend their permission to stay, or get out of Dodge (Thailand), by 26th September. Anyone failing to do so by 26th September, will be considered an over stayer (illegal alien) and subject to the provisions of the law.

Difficult!

I think he said, “So we do not propose to extend visas after July 31, but allow for visa requests from August 1 to September 26,” he said, adding the grace period will be proposed to cabinet for approval."

My interpretation would be along the lines of, everyone's current visas (permission to stay) that expires at the end of the earlier amnesty, i.e. 31st July, will expire on that date. Thereafter, those affected will have to take the appropriate action to extend their permission to stay, or get out of Dodge (Thailand), by 26th September. Anyone failing to do so by 26th September, will be considered an over stayer (illegal alien) and subject to the provisions of the law.

My interpretation also -upon first reading. Being distant from the problem possibnly makes understanding easier as no vested interest.

Back