The Cost of a Village Funeral

Exactly spot on, Les...so why should a non-Buddhist Westerner even contemplate or worry beforehand.

Why Coffee? Simply because, in my case, all religious beliefs or otherwise aside, having worked hard to earn and save money, which I have done for the sole reason to ensure my wife and children can live as well as they do now, I am deeply concerned that some (quite a large amount by all accounts) of that money will go to those I have no wish to assist, to the detriment of my family.

If the Westerner's wife dies first maybe?

If she was a Buddhist then let the family take care of the arrangments.

What is so friggin' difficult to understand ?

When you die Yorky you're Mrs will do as she wishes...and you won't be able to make a farkin' difference with her decision.

If there is no money in the bank she will put up the chanote on your home as collateral on a 25% (or more) A.P.R. loan from some arsehole you either never liked ot never met...and again you won't be able to make any difference. Capiche? :innocent:

cc: @Prakhonchai Nick :innocent:

Why Coffee? Simply because, in my case, all religious beliefs or otherwise aside, having worked hard to earn and save money, which I have done for the sole reason to ensure my wife and children can live as well as they do now, I am deeply concerned that some (quite a large amount by all accounts) of that money will go to those I have no wish to assist, to the detriment of my family.

Seriously Nick, is the £10,000 - £15,000 really going to break their lifestyle of comfort and plunge your family into woe ?

Thai-bashing at its best. You choose to look down on them for celebrating someone's life after their death and accuse them of unwisely spending their money.
You spend too much buying cars, you spend too much building homes, you spend too much on entertainment, you spend too much on booze, you just spend too much but they are bad and should be looked down upon.

Really?

Mario, it is not Thai bashing it is trying to maximise our loved ones inheritance

Whenever I have tried to discuss my wishes for my funeral the glazed look that comes over Wood's face tells me he has turned off and isn't listening.
Our partners have seen enough funerals to know what is happening and don't want (for reasons of face?) to stop it.
I'll never know if he has seen sense so there's no point in me worrying about it - it just riles that it's money he should have for his future.

Colin, I've gotten that same glazed look on that subject/conversation as well. I believe it may have something to do with speaking of dying/death is a bit taboo or considered 'bad luck' to do so. Just the impression I've gotten. Cultural taboo maybe? Dunno, but I suspect so.

£10-15,000..............you paint an even bleaker picture than what has been mentioned previously.
That sort of money is obscene! Think I will invest some in Rent-a-Ghost! Keep all the bastards away!:)

jerry.gif

I initially read that post last night and saw ฿10-15,000. Now, in daylight, I see that it's Sterling and it's half a million Bht! If that is the case, it's a good job I have ฿800,000.00 extension money in the bank!

[I now realise why some members refer to it as "dead money"].

Thai-bashing at its best. You choose to look down on them for celebrating someone's life after their death and accuse them of unwisely spending their money.
You spend too much buying cars, you spend too much building homes, you spend too much on entertainment, you spend too much on booze, you just spend too much but they are bad and should be looked down upon.

Really?

In my opinion I do not spend too much money. My pick-up is not bottom of the range but neither is it top. I paid cash for it and it's 10 years old this year. The 1 rai of land upon which my house sits cost ฿700,000.00 and the house building cost me ฿850,000.00. I paid cash for both. I spend a goodly sum on beer but it doesn't amount to ฿8,000.00 per month. I generally have more money left at the end of the month than I did at the end of the previous month. I also have more than ฿800,000.00 in the bank to support my extensions of stay in Thailand. The amount has not varied to below this sum for 20 years.

If there is no money in the bank she will put up the chanote on your home as collateral on a 25% (or more) A.P.R. loan from some arsehole you either never liked ot never met...and again you won't be able to make any difference. Capiche?

Can someone please explain this concept to @Yorky . :flushed:

Please could you reiterate the concept which you believe I don't understand?

Perhaps explaining your statements would help?

If there is no money in the bank she (This being the dead wife?) will put up the chanote on your home (there is no chanote on the home (not mine) as the accommodation was rented) as collateral on a 25% (or more) A.P.R. loan from some arsehole you either never liked ot never met...and again you won't be able to make any difference. Capiche?

No I do not capiche. Obviously the Farang husband will be able to make a difference as he is the one that's still alive!

First of all @Yorky there were two separate statements...one about if a wife dies let the family take care of the arrangements.
As a westerner you won't be able to even if you wanted to.
You're only there to support the wishes of her grieving family...and possibly yourself if you care to.

Secondly, if you die which sooner or later you might in Thailand then it is truly up to your wife to come up with the dosh.

Earlier you stated that you paid for the land and for the building of the home.
Are you stating that your wife doesn't hold the title to this land ?

Last edited:
Back