THE GBP/THB Exchange Rate tomorrow morning 13th March 2019

Prakhonchai Nick

You chose a custom title
What will the rate be and what to do about it.

Tonight (in the early hours tomorrow morning Thai time) the UK parliament will vote for the revised Brexit deal.

If it fails I would expect the exchange rate to tumble to the 40's or maybe even below.

However if it passes, and all is clear for a Brexit on 29th March, the GBP will surely rise sharply. How sharp is open to speculation, but 44, 45 or even 46 are possible in the immediate aftermath of the vote. In the hours and days thereafter will it settle, drop or rise further? Is CO-CO's 50 at Christmas forecast a possibility in the short term?

What to do? For those that have money in the UK, should we bring some in immediately. or perhaps wait and see what happens post 29th March?

What thoughts do members have?

I can’t see the vote passing. The so called concessions the EU have allegedly conceded to will be window dressing at best

What to do? For those that have money in the UK, should we bring some in immediately. or perhaps wait and see what happens post 29th March?

What thoughts do members have?

I have Sterling in UK; some of it has been there since before the Brexit referendum, the rest has accumulated since. It attracts zero interest. Although I have no immediate need to bring it to Thailand, I would prefer that it be gaining 1.55% interest here.

However, at what exchange rate do I cut my losses? It's a dilemma. If the exchange rate was to reach 45 I would likely bite the bullet.

Against the odds I think the vote will go with the Government tonight. Most of the members of the House want a deal and the guarantee that has now been given surely makes the deal more palatable than it was before. The £ will surely rise.

I am considering hedging my bets. I can log in to Transferwise late tonight and place a transfer order. (High 41's) which I can then process if the rate drops after the vote, or cancel should the vote passes and the rate rises sharply.

I have Sterling in UK; some of it has been there since before the Brexit referendum, the rest has accumulated since. It attracts zero interest. Although I have no immediate need to bring it to Thailand, I would prefer that it be gaining 1.55% interest here.

However, at what exchange rate do I cut my losses? It's a dilemma. If the exchange rate was to reach 45 I would likely bite the bullet.

It will soon be Xmas............................

Against the odds I think the vote will go with the Government tonight. Most of the members of the House want a deal and the guarantee that has now been given surely makes the deal more palatable than it was before. The £ will surely rise.

Something I predicted many moons ago.

Whilst there was a certain inevitability about it, I hail to see why pointless political games were played out for so long.

Now parliament has to decide whether the EU "concession" is enough to turn May's deal into something that is better than No Deal. As said, nobody in their right minds wants No Deal because of the perceived chaos that it will create - that would push Sterling under 40!

I think that this is enough to bring the Tory Brexiteers onboard, we will have to see. In reality the concession is little more than the position the EU said they would 'honour'.

I have no faith in politicians; the UK parliament has become as/even more divisive than any other country. I have seen little evidence of parliament working to serve the best interests of the country - and the voters who put them there.

Last edited:
I can tell you one thing for sure. With all the currency speculators betting on this game of odds. The Pound is going to have a huge swing one way or the other, then settle back to more realistic value what ever that will be.

I can tell you one thing for sure. With all the currency speculators betting on this game of odds. The Pound is going to have a huge swing one way or the other, then settle back to more realistic value what ever that will be.

Exactly...thats why it is necessary to strike when "the iron is hot"....Catch it on the upward spike.

It will get back to GBP/THB 50.

The time-frame on that is uncertain but that is what the 'normal' rate was prior to the impact of Brexit. The Baht strengthening also lengthens the timescale. The UK's economic performance post-Brexit is another factor - there is no reason why that should not be a positive influence (in due course) as the economy was performing well pre-Brexit, and after the vote, until fear and uncertainty was allowed to affect markets and confidence. Rather like the 2006 recession - it only deferred the known pent-up demand for 1m new houses in the south east; such demand does not go away.

Back