The one word that makes me cringe in Thailand

C

Coffee

Daddy (pronounced Dah-dee).

If this singular word is not preceded by another or other words such as "Oh Daddy", "Aye Daddy", "Yes Daddy" ,"Harder Daddy", "Thank you Daddy" or "I love you Daddy", then be prepared.

If it is the first word spoken in a sentence it simply means somebody referred to as Daddy ;;money;; will be requested to purchase something or provide financial assistance (ie: "Daddy, I need...", "Daddy, can you...", "Daddy, will you...") ;;girl;;

If this singular word is not preceded by another or other words such as "Oh Daddy", "Aye Daddy", "Yes Daddy" ,"Harder Daddy", "Thank you Daddy" or "I love you Daddy", then be prepared.

If it is the first word spoken in a sentence it simply means somebody referred to as Daddy ;;money;; will be requested to purchase something or provide financial assistance (ie: "Daddy, I need...", "Daddy, can you...", "Daddy, will you...") ;;girl;;
And my reply would be, " f**k off Bay-Bee ".

in most cases it IS preceded with another word, probably not spoken out load though & the word is 'sugar'

I must admin that I cringe every time I hear a wife/gf say that word to their farang husbands/bf's. I would take that as an insult or think that incest is a bit too close for comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must admit I have never been called Dah-dee by anyone of my family ( Thai or otherwise) ,My two Daughters call me 'Dad' and my wife calls me by my name or Teelak.( depending on what she wants :smirk: ) My stepdaughters calls me by my name also.
I was called Pa-Pa by a Bargirl once :eek: ....there was me thinking I was a handsome young man :sunglasses:

Yes, SWMBO uses the word in an affectionate manner, as do my two daughters aged 7 and 11. However, not once has any of them used the word by itself as described by the OP. To them its always daddy or dad. I have told them to start the sentence with the word daddy or dad so that they attract my attention. Failure to do so will often lead to me ignoring them, not because I want to but because I am partially deaf. Finally, the 'girls' in my family are encouraged to call me by my first name although my daughters never do.

I am called Grandpapa by my Thai grandson and Ta John by the rest of the family. My wife calls me John or Oi you!

Back