The sad truth of retired expats on pension returning Stateside with their younger Thai brides

Been reported that this visa can be done in as little as 100 days at the embassy in BK. She gets a green card and SS number within a month after entering the US. You have to be legally;y married for 2 years or more.

IR-1 Visa Requirements. The IR-1 visa application process allows an American citizen to sponsor their foreign born spouse for permanent residency. If you and your spouse have been married for more than 2 years, you can apply for a IR-1 visa. Your spouse becomes a permanent resident automatically after entering the US.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ly-immigration/immigrant-visa-for-spouse.html

Yes, a friend of mine did that for his wife. Got it done reasonably quick. Will have to ask him how he did the health insurance requirements back then when he did this, if he needed to. Possibly got her (and himself) onto the ACA option. But he was not well equipped income-wise nor health insurance wise and still got it done some years back. And yes, she got her permanent residency, AND a green card, so she can work if she wants.

Yes, a friend of mine did that for his wife. Got it done reasonably quick. Will have to ask him how he did the health insurance requirements back then when he did this, if he needed to. Possibly got her (and himself) onto the ACA option. But he was not well equipped income-wise nor health insurance wise and still got it done some years back. And yes, she got her permanent residency, AND a green card, so she can work if she wants.

There is no health insurance requirement for this visa. Health insurance for the applicant will have to be privately paid for in America. This visa allows her to enter the USA and receive a green card and SS number at which point she is no longer on a visa. With a green card and her SS number she can now legally work and hopefully her employer will have medical coverage.

There is no health insurance requirement for this visa. Health insurance for the applicant will have to be privately paid for in America. This visa allows her to enter the USA and receive a green card and SS number at which point she is no longer on a visa. With a green card and her SS number she can now legally work and hopefully her employer will have medical coverage.

I was told once she receives that she cannot leave the states for a certain period of time or it invalidates her residency. 18 months I think it was said, and then can only stay out of the states for a certain period of time before returning (it's called 'parole' I think). I think it is 5 years staying in the states before it is actually 'permanent' before she can come and go as she pleases for whatever period of time wanted/necessary.

With the 10 year tourist visa she can stay for up to 6 months at a time, then HAS to leave for at least 6 months before being able to go back again. The good thing about the tourist visa 10 year is that you can use it every year for 10 years no problems. Can get it and not use it until you want to. For ten years. I guess it depends on what you want. Personally I do not want to stay in the states permanently any more. But visit every year for a month or so as I have family and friends I like to see, and I do like getting away from Thailand once in a while.

Thanks. Didn't know that.

I was told once she receives that she cannot leave the states for a certain period of time or it invalidates her residency. 18 months I think it was said, and then can only stay out of the states for a certain period of time before returning (it's called 'parole' I think). I think it is 5 years staying in the states before it is actually 'permanent' before she can come and go as she pleases for whatever period of time wanted/necessary.

When she gets her green card it is good for ten years and can be renewed while in the US. If she seeks citizenship then she needs to be in the US for as little as 3 years. During that 3 year period she can leave the US for up to 30 days in a 365 day period with no penalty. If she does not want citizenship then she can leave the US up to 364 days at any time reenter and her green card is still valid. With a green card she can enter Mexico,Canada,UK the EU and other countries. But health insurance will have to be privately covered.

I have been contemplating a move back to Oz with my wife and 3 kids (2,9 & 12). I am originally from the Melbourne area and would not move back there as it is too cold and is not the place I grew up in anymore. I am considering a move to southern Queensland, the Hervey Bay area to be precise. Queensland is still like the old Australia and has not been over run with immigrants and the PC crowd. My main reason for moving would be for my kids, better education, safer and better prospects. Financially I would be OK, I have done my research and, some of you might fall over when I say this, the Government will give me roughly $20,000 a year because I have 3 kids. So that, combined with my self funded retirement income stream would give me close to $60,000 a year. I would buy a house with money I have from an inheritance and am presently using to top up my income stream, you see, a house is not classed as an asset when working out how much the Government will give me in assistance. So it's win win for me, I believe. Also in one and a half years I will qualify for the old age pension, I will not get the full pension but part of it but will get a health concession card which gives me access to very cheap health care.

So, why not move you say? The things that worry me are, the wife's health care, she will qualify for nothing and I will have to pay full price for any medical and medication, I could take out health insurance for her with a private company but it is very expensive and not very good, the other reason is dealing with the visa procedure for my wife, my stinking Government are making it harder and harder to bring legitimate wives to live in Oz from Thailand not to mention the $8000 just to apply. I would be running around getting all sorts of paperwork translated then certified, I just do not have the inclination to be doing that sort of stuff anymore. Also, once in Oz, I would be doing a lot of the stuff that she now does, dealing with the schools, attending meetings etc. Another reason is the amount of stuff I have accumulated here, I would have to start from scratch again in Oz, right down to the little things like small tools, let alone a new computer, TV by 2, car.....

Here is a link to a couple of houses I had been considering buying.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-urraween-131397150
https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-urraween-131603626

I have been contemplating a move back to Oz with my wife and 3 kids (2,9 & 12). I am originally from the Melbourne area and would not move back there as it is too cold and is not the place I grew up in anymore. I am considering a move to southern Queensland, the Hervey Bay area to be precise. Queensland is still like the old Australia and has not been over run with immigrants and the PC crowd. My main reason for moving would be for my kids, better education, safer and better prospects. Financially I would be OK, I have done my research and, some of you might fall over when I say this, the Government will give me roughly $20,000 a year because I have 3 kids. So that, combined with my self funded retirement income stream would give me close to $60,000 a year. I would buy a house with money I have from an inheritance and am presently using to top up my income stream, you see, a house is not classed as an asset when working out how much the Government will give me in assistance. So it's win win for me, I believe. Also in one and a half years I will qualify for the old age pension, I will not get the full pension but part of it but will get a health concession card which gives me access to very cheap health care.

So, why not move you say? The things that worry me are, the wife's health care, she will qualify for nothing and I will have to pay full price for any medical and medication, I could take out health insurance for her with a private company but it is very expensive and not very good, the other reason is dealing with the visa procedure for my wife, my stinking Government are making it harder and harder to bring legitimate wives to live in Oz from Thailand not to mention the $8000 just to apply. I would be running around getting all sorts of paperwork translated then certified, I just do not have the inclination to be doing that sort of stuff anymore. Also, once in Oz, I would be doing a lot of the stuff that she now does, dealing with the schools, attending meetings etc. Another reason is the amount of stuff I have accumulated here, I would have to start from scratch again in Oz, right down to the little things like small tools, let alone a new computer, TV by 2, car.....

Here is a link to a couple of houses I had been considering buying.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-urraween-131397150
https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-urraween-131603626

There is no doubt that kids education is a huge factor.

I would certainly not educate children here - if I was able to do otherwise.

That "otherwise" has many facets to it; financial being the biggest, but if that is not an issue then it is down to where do YOU really want to be - I don't mean being here because you have no other choice, but making a decision based on ALL the factors that are important to you. You never know about health but the much referred to age difference should work in your favour if that applies. I know of a few Farangs who have decided to raise their kids in their home country and then "re-retire" when the education is complete.......

I'll be dead then Co Co. I also have 3 adult kids in Oz and it would be great for them to all get together as my wife's Thai family are not so "close" anymore, if they ever were "close". My wife has been to Oz twice before and loved it. I suppose I really should consider it. One of the major factors is that I didn't like living in Oz in my previous situation. That is, working, living alone, living in a cold climate, looking after my Mum, all those things have changed now so maybe I would enjoy a move.

If I was an Aussie I would certainly consider relocating my Thai family to Australia. If the truth were known, I would have like to have emigrated to Australia when I was younger but my working career never allowed it. When I was ready to retire at 55, I could not meet the strict financial requirements necessary to live in Australia. That said, I am very happy I chose to make Thailand my home and I am, I guess, very happy in retirement in this country with my Thai family. Even though the £/Baht exchange rate is tanking, my fixed retirement income goes a lot further here than it ever would in the UK.

I love living back in Australia now.
I made Wan's application on line and paid the fee. I checked my email inbox 3 minutes later and her Bridging visa had already been granted. She was given her Medicare Card immediately and now is on Temporary until Permanency is automatically granted.
The 2 kids at school are taught properly and don't sweep paths and forced to visit bloody temples.
As for the cold..I absolutely love the 4 seasons and a roaring combustion fire on most of the winter is perfect.
Free health care, brilliant education, Govt pays you to raise the kids and the cost of living is a lot less than here.
Don't have to think about where to get a sporting event on tv and no lunatics on the roads.
Been back here a week and now counting the days to go back.
Do it for your family Wombat and any one else that can.
Nothing here now for you and what are your kids going to do on leaving a totally inadequate education.
Steve, it's a long time since you were back in England and I think you listen too much to others. It's a great place with few problems that can be avoided.
Thailand's a shithole.

A SF member who spends 6 months here and 6 months in the more affluent south of England struggles with many of the drawbacks to living here and comments about inflation here too. However, it only takes a few minutes on English soil for him to find plenty to complain about there too. The situation at each end of his travels seems to worsen with each cycle, but a great deal of those at the English end can be blamed on the negativity of the media. Sorry to impose on US territory though!

I love living back in Australia now.
I made Wan's application on line and paid the fee. I checked my email inbox 3 minutes later and her Bridging visa had already been granted. She was given her Medicare Card immediately and now is on Temporary until Permanency is automatically granted.
The 2 kids at school are taught properly and don't sweep paths and forced to visit bloody temples.
As for the cold..I absolutely love the 4 seasons and a roaring combustion fire on most of the winter is perfect.
Free health care, brilliant education, Govt pays you to raise the kids and the cost of living is a lot less than here.
Don't have to think about where to get a sporting event on tv and no lunatics on the roads.
Been back here a week and now counting the days to go back.
Do it for your family Wombat and any one else that can.
Nothing here now for you and what are your kids going to do on leaving a totally inadequate education.
Steve, it's a long time since you were back in England and I think you listen too much to others. It's a great place with few problems that can be avoided.
Thailand's a shithole.

Please don't hold back. Let it all hang out.
Terrific post.

Different viewpoints and various opinions.
That's exactly what makes this forum so fantastic.

Free healthcare. A brilliant education.
And [seriously] the Gov't pays you to raise your kids.

Sounds fantastic...fully understanding Oz is a continent full of abundant and ample natural resources with a population of only 25 million.
Always nice to have roiling oceans as a natural barrier. No necessity for building any walls.

[Damn...in hindsight all those immigrants from Central America probably confused those wonderful benefits with coming to America.
Maybe best to put an arrow on Trumps Southern Wall explaining the benefits to be found with an arrow pointing 8,000 miles SWW.]

Caveat: If I were an Australian citizen (and I am not) I would never leave...unless I was unhappy about something.

@Surin said, "Steve, it's a long time since you were back in England and I think you listen too much to others. It's a great place with few problems that can be avoided."

I do not listen to others about living in the UK, I made up my mind a long time ago that I wanted to live overseas in warmer climes. I have said it before and I will repeat it now, since 1969 some 50 years ago, I have only lived in the UK for a total of 6 years. Yes, I had 3 x 2 year postings in the UK (RAF) and, while working overseas, I usually visited the UK 4 or 5 times a year prior to coming to Thailand at the end of 2002. I have not returned since. I agree that the UK is a great place and I am thankful that I am British. However, it's not somewhere I want to live in retirement. Even if I wanted to I could not afford to do so with a family of 4 to support.

A SF member who spends 6 months here and 6 months in the more affluent south of England struggles with many of the drawbacks to living here and comments about inflation here too. However, it only takes a few minutes on English soil for him to find plenty to complain about there too. The situation at each end of his travels seems to worsen with each cycle, but a great deal of those at the English end can be blamed on the negativity of the media. Sorry to impose on US territory though!

Ah, he's just a whinging Pommie. LOL

Back